Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA launches yet another non-LON flight.. (CBG-GOT)

Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Well they might have asked for a double daily service and not been able to get it, so had to make do with what BA offered.

It seems very likely that AZ has also contracted with SAS for the STN service.
Any evidence to support any of that?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
After a recent journey to see friends on a Sunday in Cambridge on the Liverpool Street line, I can heartily recommend a LHR-GOT-CBG as a quick way of getting to Cambridge! (Price only Ł350 ish)
^
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Any evidence to support any of that?
None whatsoever!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm sure if they needed extra space they could have found it with another airline in the first place. There doesn't seem to be any strong reason that AZ HAD to go with BA/Sunair. There are loads of charter airlines with larger aircraft around than Sunair's D328s. If indeed they have signed a new contract with SK ex-STN, why bother continuing the CBG-GOT service? AZ are only one company!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
I'm sure if they needed extra space they could have found it with another airline in the first place. There doesn't seem to be any strong reason that AZ HAD to go with BA/Sunair. There are loads of charter airlines with larger aircraft around than Sunair's D328s. If indeed they have signed a new contract with SK ex-STN, why bother continuing the CBG-GOT service? AZ are only one company!
Exactly - the AZ link seems total tosh to me.

When the BA service from Cambridge was first announced, part of the rationale was that AZ wanted to cut down the journey time to Stansted and the check in time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...a-Airways.html
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
With thanks to nux who spotted this and posted elsewhere...

This route now has loads and loads of RFS availability from August onwards!

4000 Avios off peak single, and 8000 off peak return; it's just inside Zone 1.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Here's to hoping BA may add an extra flight or two. Or at least put on larger aircraft. We did see A321s for a while.

GOT-Stansted is a surprise. Perhaps SAS have done their homework and see FR are doing well on the route and hope to lure passengers with better timings. They may pick up some AZ staff on days if/when the Cambridge flight is full, but that in itself is not a case to create a new route.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crystal_cad
Here's to hoping BA may add an extra flight or two. Or at least put on larger aircraft. We did see A321s for a while.

GOT-Stansted is a surprise. Perhaps SAS have done their homework and see FR are doing well on the route and hope to lure passengers with better timings. They may pick up some AZ staff on days if/when the Cambridge flight is full, but that in itself is not a case to create a new route.
The flight is operated by Sun Air of Scandinavia (company code "EZ"), not directly by BA. EZ does not have A321s in its fleet, the largest aircraft it has can carry 32 pax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun-Air_of_Scandinavia

[Interesting I didn't know it was wholly owned by one guy who is also the CEO and a pilot.

Well done to him for securing his franchising arrangement with BA.]
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
The flight is operated by Sun Air of Scandinavia (company code "EZ"), not directly by BA. EZ does not have A321s in its fleet, the largest aircraft it has can carry 32 pax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun-Air_of_Scandinavia

[Interesting I didn't know it was wholly owned by one guy who is also the CEO and a pilot.

Well done to him for securing his franchising arrangement with BA.]
I mean BA add extra flights LHR-GOT in lieu of SAS withdrawing their twice daily flights.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean BA add extra flights LHR-GOT in lieu of SAS withdrawing their twice daily flights.
Oh right, whoops.

No idea
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:16 pm

I'm unable to select seats on my upcoming flight. BA Twitter tell me that the seats will be allocated at the airport. I've no reason to disbelieve them, but wondering if anyone else has been able to pick a seat?

The aircraft type is not showing in the booking, which is why I believe I can't select the seats.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by paul4040
anyone else
You called?

I must admit I hadn't checked until I saw this, but I'm also without seat allocation and aircraft type. From previous Sun trips, this isn't unusual, they tend to allocate the fleet a few weeks before departure.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:43 pm

I was trying to sound out if there were any other nerds doing this route.

I have a MAN-BLL and BLL-DUS (on a Jetstream 31 of all things) which had equipment allocated at the time of booking, but it's correct to say some of their LCY flights and some of the European regionals don't have a type.

BA Twitter said they could "request" a specific seat for me, and I'm not sure how that works, but they've been fairly good in the past and I'll trust them.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:48 pm

When are you guys coming, happy to meet, greet and chaperone if I'm available
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
When are you guys coming, happy to meet, greet and chaperone if I'm available
That's very kind of you, I'm passing through in July and August, Paul in December. Should you be unavailable, I'll probably just about manage GOT without a chaperone, however! It's been a regular place for me for some time.

This came up at the Milan Do, since my general take on life is that ALL of BA's short haul destinations are in some way interesting and worthy of a visit, but in the case of GOT I really struggle to sing the city's praises, not being a shopper. Plus the weather always seems dour when I visit! I guess there is the 19th century wooden houses of Haga and the Maritiman (martime museum). Cambridge is an easier sell!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.