Search

Free upgrade to First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Free upgrade to First

As per the offer page - could someone help me understand how I can check if my trip is eligible?

It's booked via a TA, LHR-SYD, outbound class is R and back is D

The T&Cs state what fare basis the tickets must be.

How can I tell if I am eligible?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is a longer version of the terms here http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...grade-to-first

I have only quickly scanned through, but I noticed rule 8:

8. Eligible Participants must request the upgrade at the time of booking.
so if you have already made your booking and the upgrade was not requested at the time of doing the booking, then you may have missed out.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
interestingly, SYD is not listed as being an eligible route, though SIN is:

5. The following long haul routes are applicable to this campaign:

London Heathrow to Boston, Seattle, New York, Washington, Houston, Miami, Los Angeles, Johannesburg, Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Delhi, Bombay, Cape Town, Beijing, Shanghai, Rio de Janeiro & Sao Paulo.
London Gatwick to Barbados, St. Lucia, Post of Spain & Grenada.
Don't know if this means you'd get the upgrade only to or from SIN, or if it doesn't apply at all if you're going LHR-SYD.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Could cancel and rebook (if it's worth it) and take BA11/12 connecting to BA 15/16 from SIN-SYD, might work?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
interestingly, SYD is not listed as being an eligible route, though SIN is:

5. The following long haul routes are applicable to this campaign:

London Heathrow to Boston, Seattle, New York, Washington, Houston, Miami, Los Angeles, Johannesburg, Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Delhi, Bombay, Cape Town, Beijing, Shanghai, Rio de Janeiro & Sao Paulo.
London Gatwick to Barbados, St. Lucia, Post of Spain & Grenada.

Don't know if this means you'd get the upgrade only to or from SIN, or if it doesn't apply at all if you're going LHR-SYD.
So based on the promotion it would seem these are routes where BA are having trouble selling F seats?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Does BA have trouble filling F on NY and LAX?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: MUCCI
I wish BA and other airlines too it must be said, would stop sending me offers for which I am patently ineligible. They are wasting their time and my bandwidth.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:12 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by btbx11
So based on the promotion it would seem these are routes where BA are having trouble selling F seats?
Don't know, but they've been doing this promo on and off for years. The main difference I've noticed is that this time they are offering the same booking window for C, D, R as for J. Previously the booking window was shorter for the cheaper fare classes (though travel period was the same). Don't know if they restricted destinations before, never noticed it.

I always assumed that they figured that the difference between semi-flex/flex CW fares and A class First fares was not massive (not available on I class), and they had more chance of shifting CW seats later due to corporate travel policies etc, so it was a worthwhile promotion between sales...All my supposition, based on zero actual knowledge of why they might do it.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Your Highness

I have had a look at your booking and the flights to Sydney do not qualify for the free upgrade to first class.

Although the flight is via Singapore we cannot do the upgrade on that sector as you are going straight to Sydney. The fares are based on a through fare to the destintation.

Hope this is of help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.