Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Slightly OT: Best route from T1 to/from HEX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA

(and before you start, I am travelling BA for this journey so it's not that OT..)

Simple question which I am sure the experienced lot on here will know the answer to: if arriving at/leaving LHR T1 by HEX, am I quicker following the signs and doing the tunnels or going outside and walking across to the station which appears by the maps to adjoin T3? (I won't have heavy luggage at this point, as I am reversing normal behaviour and going to drop my bag at LHR in the morning, then HEX to the office and back again before flying)...

TIA

Oxfordblue
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is / was a footbridge at the back of the T1 bus station over towards the right hand side of T1. It is / was largely used by staff rather passengers, and it doesn't end up in a good place for the check in area. So I came to the conclusion that except for smokers it was better to use the tunnels. [Hence the use of the past tense]. I just wish HAL made them a bit more cheerful and interesting, I think they give the wrong impression in terms of tediousness. From HEX, don't forget to use the lifts off the left of the main corridor, rather than the escalators.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
You are much quicker following the signs for T1.

There are two entrances to the HEx - one for T2/T3, and one for T1. The T1 entrance is accessed directly from the T1 building by lifts and escalators, whereas the T2/T3 entrance is accessed from the CTA subway system. The T2/T3 HEx entrance lifts will take you directly down to the platforms, whereas the T1 lifts will take you down to the tunnel to the platforms.

If you wish, you can walk outside from T1 to T2, and then descend into the subway system at T2, but this will take longer.

The footbridge referenced by cws above used to connect the Central Bus Station with the Queen's Building, and more latterly ended in steps down to an area just outside T1. The footbridge was demolished in early 2014.

Last edited by Genius1; Feb 16, 2015 at 10:34 am
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all - will stick to the signed route...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:16 am
Original Poster

And I did and it was about 5mn from exiting the lift to the platform... No idea why LHR site says 15!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:25 am

As someone that makes this journey in one direction at least 5 times a week not only is that lift core / escalator the quickest route from HEx to T1 it is also quicker to T2 than the T2/3 route is.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
The signposted walk to T2 takes ages - is there a faster way?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I think getting off the HEX, going towards T1, going upstairs, then following signs to T2 from there (via tunnels towards the Tube, then in the new passageway to T2) is faster than getting off the HEX and going via T2/T3 and walking from there.

The signs are presumably as they are as this will be the only way of getting there once T1 closes in June.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:19 am

The quickest route to T2 is into T1, out through the arrivals door and turn left. Then head past the smoking shelter area, over the road and around the grass between T1 and T2. Takes about 45 seconds less than the rabbit warren.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.