Keep an eye on your ex Dub itineraries

Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Calchas
BA won't change your ticketed points (the cities on your ticket) unless you are really insistent that this is the only acceptable option to you.

On the other hand you may be able to evade some other fare rule provisions, such as creating a stopover at IAD or forcing availability in a sold-out fare bucket.

It's always best to have a good idea of what you will or will not accept, and if you need time to think, ask the agent to annotate the PNR with your conversation and say you will get back to them.
So you think If I am firm with them they might? The changes have really messed up my ticket.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
So you think If I am firm with them they might? The changes have really messed up my ticket.
It's not a hard and fast rule, certainly a few people report eventually getting their ticketed points changed on the back of disruption (I've never tried myself).

But if you can enunciate how it has messed up your ticket in my experience (of other changes) BA are usually willing to help sort out the mess.

One strategy is to keep suggesting highly complex alternatives that require a lot of time to work out: eventually wear the agent down.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
As long as you are roughly sticking to reasonable alternative routings and same class you should not be charged.

No. A few days is entirely possible, several months is not.
Reasonable routings may depend-i.e. on a MPM ticket, it could have far more sectors though stay within whatever allowance was used at the time of ticketing.
For routing rules, though, it does seem to be follow the routing rules or an itinerary that minimises sectors in the itinerary.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Reasonable routings may depend-i.e. on a MPM ticket, it could have far more sectors though stay within whatever allowance was used at the time of ticketing.
For routing rules, though, it does seem to be follow the routing rules or an itinerary that minimises sectors in the itinerary.
BA rebooking policy is stick to the ticketed points on the original ticket (but changes to times/carriers (if oneworld)/dates/airports-within-city is fine). If you insist that this is unacceptable then eventually they can be pretty lenient in rerouting you.

KARFA did say once I think that he had no trouble in ignoring the ticketed points on the gold guest list line.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
The changes have really messed up my ticket.
I had a similar situation with 2 of my itineraries last weekend and used the traditional 'call back' strategy which has rarely let me down in the past.

Sure enough, my 3rd call resulted in the agent arranging what her 2 predecessors had told me wasn't possible.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Calchas
BA rebooking policy is stick to the ticketed points on the original ticket (but changes to times/carriers (if oneworld)/dates/airports-within-city is fine). If you insist that this is unacceptable then eventually they can be pretty lenient in rerouting you.

KARFA did say once I think that he had no trouble in ignoring the ticketed points on the gold guest list line.
I had no trouble gently massaging the routing of a BA-aborted DUB JFK trip, and shunting it into peak 2016 times, using the online facility offered under the accept/cancel/change options.

Easy to do and fast, though YMMV. Must be one of those rare occasions when BA's website gets a √.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
While I can't remember the specific instance where I have managed to change connection points, I am sure I have done it. I think if you are doing a HNL or West Coast back to DUB for instance and there are changes which throw out your connection to the TATL you might be able to get a change from say BOS to JFK or IAD depending on US/AA doemstic routes. Obviously already have in mind exactly the flights you want when you phone, and if the schedule changes mean you would be in later to LHR and have to get a later DUB flight I think it is easier to get a change in connection point if that gets you back to roughly the old LHR arrival time and DUB flight.

I think status does have a lot ot do with it as well. Perhaps the GGL line may be more willing to be flexible? Regardless of your status BA don't have to chanege the connection points just because you ask so you certainly can't expect or insist on it.

So I think to increase your chances, ask for something reasonable and use your charm
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Update: No agents would allow a change of entry to the USA but managed to let them come back a day later. One more day holiday!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I have an ex DUB routing to MCO via PHL. The original booking (operated by US but booked with BA) was as follows:
Depart DUB 11:35, arrive PHL 14:05
Depart PHL 15:49, arrive MCO 18:24

US appear to have pulled the 15:49 flight which triggered a change to my flight to:
Depart PHL 18:20 arrive MCO 21:10

Now a 4:15 layover and we arrive at MCO (holiday trip) nearly 4 hours later than planned. This is not ideal as we wont get to the hotel until late in the evening.

In the meantime the original flight has been reinstated (now leaving PHL at 15:50) but there are no seats left in J.

I guess I have the following options:

1) Ask BA to move the PHL-MCO leg back to the 15:50 flight and fly in Y - but would they give me the J tier points? I guess not.
2) Change the routing to DUB-CLT-MCO which means I will arrive in Orlando at 16:24 in the afternoon - much better timings
3) Accept a 4+ hour layover at PHL

Before I call BA can anyone advise on the best strategy for getting option 2?

Last edited by tigertanaka; Jun 23, 2015 at 4:51 am
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just had some flight changes with american for an upcoming HNL trip. On phone to BA and they say I cannot change the UK-US part of the trip? e.g. I am flying into IAD at the moment and couldn't change to JFK, is this true?
I called AA and they changed me to LAX instead of to SFO, and from BA to AA actually, so it's def possible
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I think AAnything goes with those guys in my experience
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by tigertanaka

1) Ask BA to move the PHL-MCO leg back to the 15:50 flight and fly in Y - but would they give me the J tier points? I guess not.
2) Change the routing to DUB-CLT-MCO which means I will arrive in Orlando at 16:24 in the afternoon - much better timings

I had a similar change from DUB-JFK-MCO to DUB-ORD-MCO just 2 days ago with the corresponding late arrival. AA (note not BA) put me on the option 2 flights in your post. I know it isn't precisely answering your point but it does show it's possible.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I have an ex DUB routing to MCO via PHL. The original booking (operated by US but booked with BA) was as follows:
Depart DUB 11:35, arrive PHL 14:05
Depart PHL 15:49, arrive MCO 18:24

US appear to have pulled the 15:49 flight which triggered a change to my flight to:
Depart PHL 18:20 arrive MCO 21:10

Now a 4:15 layover and we arrive at MCO (holiday trip) nearly 4 hours later than planned. This is not ideal as we wont get to the hotel until late in the evening.

In the meantime the original flight has been reinstated (now leaving PHL at 15:50) but there are no seats left in J.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago. The 15:50 flight to MCO was not pulled, but was no longer part of the code-share (according to BA). I called back and managed to get put back on the 15:50, as I said the other options would not work for me. They ended up booking me into F for the PHL - MCO portion.

Last edited by Wembleygal; Jun 23, 2015 at 7:49 am Reason: edit
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Am I right in saying that the CLT flight from Dub is a B757 all year round? I always try to fly to PHL at least its on the A330. Is a larger a/c a factor?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jock
Am I right in saying that the CLT flight from Dub is a B757 all year round? I always try to fly to PHL at least its on the A330. Is a larger a/c a factor?
On the contrary I think it is normally an A330 like PHL?

Just call BA and tell them the new times are inconvenient for you and request the option 2 change.. It's a reasonable request so they should do it. My ex DUB has also changed again (4th time since booking!) it was just flight number changes and equipment swaps this time but it allowed me to circumnavigate the fare rules and change my MCO - MIA flight to a later one and reduce my MIA layover from 5h 20m to 3h 45m

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.