Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can you still cancel an award online and just forfeit the tax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

I know that was true as of a few months ago, but just want to see if anyone has more recent data point.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Yes, as repeatedly reported here.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Unless you do it by phone, when there are confirmed tales of over -enthusiastic agents demanding the balance of Ł35 less your tax.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
You should get everything back apart from Ł35/$55*/** cancellation fee pp, the exception being where you originally paid less than Ł35/$55 pp then no cash refund would be due, just the Avios to be returned to your account.

*Further Fees apply if you cancel by phone with no BAEC status, where the system would have allowed you to cancel the booking online.

**Different Amounts for different currencies, no need to list them all.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Great, thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:35 am
Community Director Emerita

I did it about two weeks ago. I was happy to forfeit the $5.60 US security fee when I found a more attractive date for my trip.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As that isn't an advertised favour to keep certain members sweet from what I've seen I imagine the loophole will disappear as soon as the IT department eventually get around to fixing it.....which could be some time.

Strange to think a Gold member has to pay Ł35 for a redeposit of 4,500 Avios while a Blue card holder can have 100,000 redeposited for just a few dollars. BA must be losing thousands.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

HIDDY, as far as I am aware this isn't a loophole. With cancellations, it is a simple matter of policy not to collect fees beyond the amount previously paid
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Prospero
HIDDY, as far as I am aware this isn't a loophole. With cancellations, it is a simple matter of policy not to collect fees beyond the amount previously paid
Come to think of it I remember you saying that before.

Does seem a strange one. I wonder why it's not explained in the service fees page?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by italdesign
I know that was true as of a few months ago, but just want to see if anyone has more recent data point.
Also see the answers to your similar question a last year:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...cel-award.html
Old Feb 16, 2015, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Also see the answers to your similar question a last year:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...cel-award.html
Impressed with your search skill However, I am asking for updates because this kind of unpublished benefit (though Prospero believes it's policy) can change any time.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by italdesign
Impressed with your search skill However, I am asking for updates because this kind of unpublished benefit (though Prospero believes it's policy) can change any time.
It hasn't changed for three or four years but why not just bump (update) your previous thread from several months ago?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC
I don't want to appear dense but, just to clarify, if you make a redemption booking and then later cancel, you get a refund of the Avios ? Is that right ?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bafan
I don't want to appear dense but, just to clarify, if you make a redemption booking and then later cancel, you get a refund of the Avios ? Is that right ?
Yes, you get all the avios back unless you cancel within 24 hrs of the flight dpearture in which case you get no avios back.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...and-conditions

17.1. A fee as specified online at ba.com will be charged if flight bookings for Reward travel are cancelled by the Member prior to departure. Provided a cancellation is made more than 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward itinerary the Avios Points charged for the Reward will be re-credited to the Member's account. Avios will not be refunded for partially flown bookings.

17.2. If flight bookings for Reward travel on British Airways or on flights operated by an Airline Partner are cancelled by the Member within 24 hours of departure, Avios Points in respect of the Reward will not be re-credited to the member. In the event you are prevented from travelling by an Event Beyond Your Control we will refund your Avios Points provided you have an unused Reward, have informed British Airways promptly, provided evidence of the event if requested to do so and paid the applicable fee specified on ba.com.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Much obliged !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.