Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Ticket Cancellation / Refund Query

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

I cancelled an Avios redemption booking about two weeks ago (15000 Avios + £35 for a European return). Travel dates not until March 2015.

The online cancellation screen said no cash refund due and 15000 Avios were to be refunded so I went ahead with this. MMB today shows the flights as cancelled but a message at the top in red still says something along the lines of 'we are in the process of cancelling this booking'. Do I need to do something to get the Avios back or is it an automatic process?

Also, the BA website mentions a £35 cancellation/redeposit fee for Avios reward bookings somewhere in the global service fees pages. What is this and do I need to pay it to get those Avios back?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

You should get the Avios back fairly quickly, and you need do nothing else if you see the "we are in the process of cancelling" message.

You don't need to pay an extra fee; the fee is deducted from the taxes and charges. If the taxes and charges are equal to or less than the change fee, you don't get charged the difference.

Hence, AA/US domestic bookings which have £3 ish in tax are almost fully flex, you only lose a few quid each time.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Great, thanks. I've only ever cancelled an Avios booking once before and I'm pretty sure the refund of Avios was near enough instantaneous but it was too long ago to remember exactly. Don't need the points urgently but if I leave it too long I'll forget to check and they may disappear into the ether.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Sometimes it goes through the manual process, most of the time it's automatic. Depends what your booking was or if you've changed it.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
Great, thanks. I've only ever cancelled an Avios booking once before and I'm pretty sure the refund of Avios was near enough instantaneous but it was too long ago to remember exactly. Don't need the points urgently but if I leave it too long I'll forget to check and they may disappear into the ether.
Try logging out and in again. All my redeposits were pretty instant.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul4040
Try logging out and in again. All my redeposits were pretty instant.
Done, still nothing.. will give the exec line a call tomorrow.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Resolved over the phone with BA, refunded while I was on the call. Just a glitch apparently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.