Wiki Posts
Search

avios cancellation/redeposit fee

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA

I'm sure this has been asked to death (so sorry in advance), but what is the fee for cancelling an avios booking? ba.com states that it is £35 (I presume this is per booking, not per passenger?!)

But then I saw a source (http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/0...airways-award/) which mentions the fee is either the service fee, or a forfeit of taxes/fees. I'm looking at a domestic US booking on AA, so the taxes and fees will be less than £35 (especially if it's per person).

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by cristo
I'm sure this has been asked to death (so sorry in advance), but what is the fee for cancelling an avios booking? ba.com states that it is £35 (I presume this is per booking, not per passenger?!)

But then I saw a source (http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/0...airways-award/) which mentions the fee is either the service fee, or a forfeit of taxes/fees. I'm looking at a domestic US booking on AA, so the taxes and fees will be less than £35 (especially if it's per person).

Thanks in advance.
If it's a domestic booking on AA (or AS or US), you would merely forfeit whatever cash you paid at time of booking (typically, $5.60 USD per one-way).
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Yes, that's the beauty of domestic American bookings. The tiny tax/fees amount all but make the ticket fully flexible - best to take advantage of them before they get enhanced!
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If it's a domestic booking on AA (or AS or US), you would merely forfeit whatever cash you paid at time of booking (typically, $5.60 USD per one-way).
Great, thanks for the swift info!

Originally Posted by paul4040
Yes, that's the beauty of domestic American bookings. The tiny tax/fees amount all but make the ticket fully flexible - best to take advantage of them before they get enhanced!
It's a great deal, I had no idea about this before - there is nothing in writing on the ba site!. I saw some flights open for a busy period that I might have to cancel so was weighing up the £35 canx fee. This is excellent news and makes it a no brainer - I might speculate and book some trips for random weekends later in the year!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:11 am

I have a similar question. If cancel online, how long does it take to redeposit the points?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by catcathk
I have a similar question. If cancel online, how long does it take to redeposit the points?

Usually instant but mine took three weeks recently due to a glitch.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by HarryKUK
Usually instant but mine took three weeks recently due to a glitch.
Online? because ba.com now only let you fill in address information and manually cancel the ticket after you submit, don't even show you the refund calculation now... I tried calling, and the agent can not provide the information and saying it's not instant... is he wrong?

has anyone tried doing it online or phone, and how soon you see your point back to your account?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AA : BA
Online? because ba.com now only let you fill in address information and manually cancel the ticket after you submit, don't even show you the refund calculation now... I tried calling, and the agent can not provide the information and saying it's not instant... is he wrong?

has anyone tried doing it online or phone, and how soon you see your point back to your account?
I cancelled one this Sunday online (15th) - points redeposited next day, cc refund in my account today (19th)
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by SoggyDollar
I cancelled one this Sunday online (15th) - points redeposited next day, cc refund in my account today (19th)
thank you for the info, I could not wait and called the executive hotline, they are able to cancel and redeposit the points instantly while I'm still on the phone, and somehow there's no service fee, only the cancellation fees he quoted. Hope he is right, will see when the refund posted.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
I cancelled two Avios bookings (US-UK-US on BA metal) earlier today. One allowed me to complete the cancellation online and the points are already redeposited. The other, where I had booked flights on which I am not a passenger, only allowed me to submit a web form and I got an email saying 'we are currently processing your refund'.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

About two weeks ago, online. Said I would lose my £35 and get my 15000 Avios, clicked accept and it said it was all done but as nothing had actually been refunded for two weeks I phoned to chase and they did it straight away on that call.. I usually get all my cancellations (both Avios and cash bookings) quoted and cancelled online, with the money usually back on the card within 7 days..
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Sorry to bring a somewhat old thread back alive however, is it definite that calling will usually speed up the redeposit process? Its been about a half hour since I filled out that form to cancel/redeposit my avios, and still nothing.

I know, I know... People are probably wondering why I don't wait longer. Well my flight out leaves tomorrow, and I want to make sure my flight back home is sorted out before leaving. Plus, we all know how fast availability can disappear on that most convenient flight.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by lakers6902
Sorry to bring a somewhat old thread back alive however, is it definite that calling will usually speed up the redeposit process? Its been about a half hour since I filled out that form to cancel/redeposit my avios, and still nothing.

I know, I know... People are probably wondering why I don't wait longer. Well my flight out leaves tomorrow, and I want to make sure my flight back home is sorted out before leaving. Plus, we all know how fast availability can disappear on that most convenient flight.
If you have had to complete the manual form online as opposed to an automated process, it is likely that it will take a lot more than 30 min for the refund to come through.

You could log out and log back in to see if it has been refunded, but if it has not, most liklely it has hone into the manual process which takes much longer.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:25 pm

Name:  sr5NlrL.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  59.9 KB

Can someone let the cancelling fee for this booking? Is it just the taxes of $48.64 forfeited?

Thanks
Old May 20, 2016, 12:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by guoguo914
Is it just the taxes of $48.64 forfeited?

Thanks
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.