Using Avios to upgrade from PE to CW

Old Feb 14, 15, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold

Hi,

Mrs ML and I are planning a visit to Moscow this Summer (not sure when). We were intending to book PE then use Avios to upgrade to CW. To cut a long story short for us the BA0235 and 0234 are the most convenient flights for us. Only thing is PE is not offered on neither of these flights.

So I was thinking, If I were to book the PE seats on the BA0233 and 0232, would I be able to then get an upgrade using Avios to CW on the BA0235 and 0234?

I'm guessing if this is possible, then I would have to pay some kind of admin fee for changing the flights!!

Any wisdom offered greatly appreciated.
Thanks
ML
Old Feb 14, 15, 7:29 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

You can only upgrade using Avios on the same flight I'm afraid. You can't change your PE ticket into a flight that doesn't convey that class.
Old Feb 14, 15, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
You can't change flights when you upgrade. (And I would watch out - Moscow is served by both longhaul and shorthaul fleets - if PE isn't shown, I'd worry that Club Europe is the highest class.)
Old Feb 14, 15, 7:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
If there's no PE on the flight, can you upgrade from Economy to Club using Avios?

Edit: Post 3 may have answered what I was thinking.
Old Feb 14, 15, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters View Post
If there's no PE on the flight, can you upgrade from Economy to Club using Avios?

Edit: Post 3 may have answered what I was thinking.
You can UuA from economy to business on two class flights but only from the expensive Y B an H booking classes.

On a flight including WTP you can only upgrade from economy in to WTP - i.e. the UuA is a one class upgrade only. Same principle applies, can only UuA from Y B an H which are non-discounted economy fares.
Old Feb 14, 15, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Reward Flight Saver is available on this route.
Old Feb 14, 15, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think the question is can you buy economy on a two class flight, UuA to J, then change your flight to the 747 DME flight and therefore be in J on the 747 instead.

FWIW I think this may just be possible, but frankly if you did the maths you will find it is a very poor value proposition. Firstly, you need to book in to non-discounted economy booking classes Y B or H on the two class flight (which will not be cheap), then do you UuA (if there are any CE reward seats available), then change flights to the 747. Now I think the last step may not be too bad in terms of fees mainly because there may not be a change fee since the fare rules are still goverened by the underlying flexible Y B or H fare you originally booked - although I am not entirely sure if it is possible in this scenario.

Since DME is an RFS route I would suggest the better way to do this if you want to go in CW on BA232/233 is simply to book it as an RFS fare which would be 25 & 20000 avios each way per person. In fact you may want to look at doing an RFS to F at 27.50 & 30000 avios per person.

Search this Thread