FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Using Avios to upgrade from PE to CW (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1654892-using-avios-upgrade-pe-cw.html)

Mountlodge Feb 14, 2015 6:18 am

Using Avios to upgrade from PE to CW

Hi,

Mrs ML and I are planning a visit to Moscow this Summer (not sure when). We were intending to book PE then use Avios to upgrade to CW. To cut a long story short for us the BA0235 and 0234 are the most convenient flights for us. Only thing is PE is not offered on neither of these flights.

So I was thinking, If I were to book the PE seats on the BA0233 and 0232, would I be able to then get an upgrade using Avios to CW on the BA0235 and 0234?

I'm guessing if this is possible, then I would have to pay some kind of admin fee for changing the flights!!

Any wisdom offered greatly appreciated.
Thanks
ML

paul4040 Feb 14, 2015 6:29 am

Using Avios to upgrade from PE to CW

You can only upgrade using Avios on the same flight I'm afraid. You can't change your PE ticket into a flight that doesn't convey that class.

chance88088 Feb 14, 2015 6:30 am

You can't change flights when you upgrade. (And I would watch out - Moscow is served by both longhaul and shorthaul fleets - if PE isn't shown, I'd worry that Club Europe is the highest class.)

PeacefulWaters Feb 14, 2015 6:31 am

If there's no PE on the flight, can you upgrade from Economy to Club using Avios?

Edit: Post 3 may have answered what I was thinking.

KARFA Feb 14, 2015 6:35 am

Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters (Post 24349888)
If there's no PE on the flight, can you upgrade from Economy to Club using Avios?

Edit: Post 3 may have answered what I was thinking.

You can UuA from economy to business on two class flights but only from the expensive Y B an H booking classes.

On a flight including WTP you can only upgrade from economy in to WTP - i.e. the UuA is a one class upgrade only. Same principle applies, can only UuA from Y B an H which are non-discounted economy fares.

ENTP Feb 14, 2015 6:42 am

Reward Flight Saver is available on this route.

KARFA Feb 14, 2015 6:43 am

I think the question is can you buy economy on a two class flight, UuA to J, then change your flight to the 747 DME flight and therefore be in J on the 747 instead.

FWIW I think this may just be possible, but frankly if you did the maths you will find it is a very poor value proposition. Firstly, you need to book in to non-discounted economy booking classes Y B or H on the two class flight (which will not be cheap), then do you UuA (if there are any CE reward seats available), then change flights to the 747. Now I think the last step may not be too bad in terms of fees mainly because there may not be a change fee since the fare rules are still goverened by the underlying flexible Y B or H fare you originally booked - although I am not entirely sure if it is possible in this scenario.

Since DME is an RFS route I would suggest the better way to do this if you want to go in CW on BA232/233 is simply to book it as an RFS fare which would be £25 & 20000 avios each way per person. In fact you may want to look at doing an RFS to F at £27.50 & 30000 avios per person.