Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yellow tags at gate are unnecessary and demeaning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yellow tags at gate are unnecessary and demeaning

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
On what flights does this happen? I have been flying transatlantic CW or F every month and get no tags. I always take a rolling carry-on and a small laptop bag.

Is it on onward flights from LHR to Europe or elsewhere or just to domestic flights within the UK? Do they apply the same restrictions to CE as to WT (I assume these are on planes without WTP). Or do they also do this on transatlantic flights?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by shawbridge
On what flights does this happen? I have been flying transatlantic CW or F every month and get no tags. I always take a rolling carry-on and a small laptop bag.

Is it on onward flights from LHR to Europe or elsewhere or just to domestic flights within the UK? Do they apply the same restrictions to CE as to WT (I assume these are on planes without WTP). Or do they also do this on transatlantic flights?
In theory the second piece of carry-on should always get a yellow tag to go under the seat, regardless of route and cabin, and up to CC to know what should and should not go up.

However, as you have witnessed, operational execution of policy is sketchy to say the least. Like you, I have never been tagged in CW/F, though others report they have been on some flights. My second piece is tagged on maybe max 50% of the CE/ET flights I've taken over the last several months.

It's a bigger (and more emotive) issue on SH flights, where many more people are travelling HBO and therefore overhead space gets filled more quickly.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
How does the 2nd piece of hand baggage not go in the overhead in CW? Cabin crew won't even let you have a small bag next to you on the seat for takeoff and landing.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It does, customers in First, CW, bulkhead and emergency exits have to put all of their baggage in the overhead lockers.
All second bags are tagged to give consistency but announcements onboard direct the customers seated in the above areas to stow all bags.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
How does the 2nd piece of hand baggage not go in the overhead in CW? Cabin crew won't even let you have a small bag next to you on the seat for takeoff and landing.
The second bags in CW do have to go in the overhead lockers. All second bags are tagged because many passengers in CW and First are connecting onto shorthaul aircraft where their bags will have to go under the seat.

It is a great shame that when bags are tagged, the reasoning is not being explained to you all by some ground staff as part of the tagging process is to enable a conversation and also to enable those who have another first language to see the visual image of what is required for their bag. The whole point of the tagging is in order that all customers are aware of the rules about second bags.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
This is a non event for longhaul. The focus of this story is elsewhere - domestic and business routes in Europe on A319/320/321/B767s.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:30 am

Last edited by adrianjc32; Apr 2, 2017 at 5:33 am
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
One other question. Why tag the rolling bag (assuming it fits in the sizer) and not the briefcase so the briefcase goes down below and the rolling bag goes up above? Why would they ever do the reverse? That would seem perverse?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:36 am

Last edited by adrianjc32; Apr 2, 2017 at 5:33 am
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The smaller bag should be tagged.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by shawbridge
One other question. Why tag the rolling bag (assuming it fits in the sizer) and not the briefcase so the briefcase goes down below and the rolling bag goes up above? Why would they ever do the reverse? That would seem perverse?
You're a poet but you don't know it.

The smaller of the two bags should get a yellow tag, not the larger.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:31 pm

I'm going to have to take up poetry in my spare time. But it doesn't sound like they tagged the smaller bag in the OP's case and in one of the other poster's case either.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:55 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I'm with the OP. Absolutely ridiculous.

The majority of the business world travels with a rollie and a laptop bag. If it is economy, it's one thing but if you're paying for business I think you should be "entitled".
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:14 pm
Suspended

This is not governed by any government regulations, but is sadly an issue facing many travellers when your private jet is in maintenance and you are forced to mix with others.....
Let me rephrase that for you.....

This is not governed by any government regulations, but is sadly an issue facing many travellers when the airline that has a dominant position in their local airport decides to cram in more seats, sells hand baggage only fares and has no effective idea how to manage the operational fallout.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by MartinRattler
This is not governed by any government regulations, but is sadly an issue facing many travellers when the airline that has a dominant position in their local airport decides to cram in more seats, sells hand baggage only fares and has no effective idea how to manage the operational fallout.
Mmm, quite.

I have plans to take advantage of Eastern Airways' zero-fares (pay tax only) on the SOU-LBA-ABZ route this spring. They operate Jetstream 41s on this route and they gate-check all rollaboards; you get them back immediately on disembarkation. So it's a test-drive of sorts.

I am planning to write a trip report on it when it happens and I'll be paying particular care to how easy the baggage handling is. I bet it's much better than BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.