Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yellow tags at gate are unnecessary and demeaning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Still should have been tagged IF it was your second piece of handbaggage.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Actually I'm getting tired of this attack on people who take on BA approved wheeled bags. I use a 20" Tumi that fits in the overhead above my CE seat wheels in despite some jackass 20 rows back dumping their stuff in the space as well. My second bag is a small briefer that was bought during that short paranoid period when cabin baggage was reduced to almost nothing. Fortunately it became a perfect bag when the iPad came out. So it goes under the seat in front of me along with my puffy down jacket in the winter.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Still should have been tagged IF it was your second piece of handbaggage.
Absolutely. That I can understand and agree with.

However, if you are travelling with just just one single item of hand baggage, should that be tagged?

If not, then that's the issue because ground staff ARE yellow-tagging single items of hand baggage.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Ooch. I believe Stez is the only regular poster here who admits to flying WT and would know about these things. I've never seen a problem in WTP, but we have twice as much locker space per passenger.

The best solution is to fly further forward

I'm not sure people take that much stuff long haul*, especially if you're in WT and by the time you get through immigration your checked bag will be on the carossel anyway.

* Flights via "fingery" airports in Africa excluded
I would agree with your solution, my NGO employer think it's unnecessary to spend money on those things.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Absolutely. That I can understand and agree with.

However, if you are travelling with just just one single item of hand baggage, should that be tagged?

If not, then that's the issue because ground staff ARE yellow-tagging single items of hand baggage.
I don't believe single items of hand luggage are supposed to be tagged.

But..

Just because I am entitled to put a piece of unyellowtagged luggage into the overhead doesn't mean that I will. Not only do I always have my own handbag under the seat in front, I will often offer to have somebody else's small piece of hand luggage there as well.

If I can make life less hassle for other passengers and cabin crew, I will.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
The thing that always strikes me about the yellow tag policy is that it is simply the wrong way round. Remove the yellow tag and the presumption is that it can go into the overhead.

Why not turn this on its head and only allow luggage in the overheads that bears an approved tag? I say it that way, since if it was always green tags, people would never remove them. Make it a variety of different colours (say purple for one flight, blue for another) and swap them around regularly, then enforcement on a per flight basis would be easy.

Under such a system, there would be one tag per person (with exception of row 1 and emergency exit rows). Those with a single piece, even if it is a laptop or handbag, would get a tag. Having the tags available at the gate would cause no inconvenience to HBO passengers.

... And if BA like this idea, how about keeping the CE overheads exclusively for CE passengers? Indeed why not have a separate tag for the CE overheads?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by FrancisA
The thing that always strikes me about the yellow tag policy is that it is simply the wrong way round. Remove the yellow tag and the presumption is that it can go into the overhead.

Why not turn this on its head and only allow luggage in the overheads that bears an approved tag?
Certainly at NCL they 'randomly' don green tags on bags. I saw several passengers with a single piece of luggage with a green tag on it. I presume that this was because it couldn't fit under the seat in front, although some of the bags with green tags could easily fit under the seat in front.

I saw combinations of the following:

- No tags on any bags
- One bag with a green tag, the other with no tag
- One bag with a yellow tag and a couple of bags with no tags
- Single bags with yellow tags
- One bag with a green tag, one bag with a yellow tag

The root cause of the problem is that far too many passengers are bringing the 'permitted' number/size of bags on board and there simply isn't enough room.

With the yellow-tagging policy in operation now, what's the point of checking the wheeled case in if your laptop bag will be forced under your seat anyway?

The yellow-tagging policy will simply add to the cabin baggage shambles on BA at the moment.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I may well have missed something over the years but I don't ever remember domestic flights having a separate 'J cabin'.
Must have been thinking of BMI when they had business class on UK domestic. Still the cabins were never small - I remember most of the plane having yellow headrests and only a few rows at the back had blue.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 3:29 am

Last time that I protested about having my small single bag yellow tagged by an enthusiastic gate person, she explained that it didn't matter it was my only bag and that the yellow tag didn't mean it HAD to go under the seat in front, but that it COULD go there.

I told her I was planning to put it in the overhead locker and she said that was absolutely fine, and repeated the line that it just meant I could put it under the seat in front if I wanted.

That's all right then. :|
Old Feb 14, 2015, 3:34 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

That makes no sense. The sole purpose of the yellow tag is for cabin crew to identify rogue pieces of luggage that should not be in the overheads should there be a space issue.

And, if your bag has ended up 6 rows down because you boarded late and row 1 is full of kit/crew bags/selfish third pieces, you're not going to know your bag has been hooked by CC and put in row 20.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
There does appear to be some confusion from some of our ground staff about what they should be tagging.

If you only have one bag, then it does not need a tag it just needs to fit in the sizer correctly. It can go up or down if it is your only bag.

If you have two bags, the second bag does need a yellow tag and needs to be stowed under your seat or if in CE, it can go under the centre seat next to you. Even if it does not receive a tag, any second bag, needs to be stowed down. The staff should be checking the size of second bags to make sure they will fit under the seat as if it is too big then one of your bags needs to be checked in.

We do have a lot of outstation ground staff that are sometimes not completely clear on the rules as they often handle a number of different airlines. The cabin crew though are very aware of the rules and if you have been incorrectly tagged just have a word and we will remove the tag for you.

We obviously encourage bags to be stowed down where possible but we would never force someone with only one bag to do this as we absolutely love passengers that only have one small bag!
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: ABBA
So when your one small tagged bag has to go 5 rows back to get in he overhead, how will the cabin crew know not to remove it?

This is the kind of thing you expect from ryanair of old, before their rebrand.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
There does appear to be some confusion from some of our ground staff about what they should be tagging.

If you only have one bag, then it does not need a tag it just needs to fit in the sizer correctly. It can go up or down if it is your only bag.

If you have two bags, the second bag does need a yellow tag and needs to be stowed under your seat or if in CE, it can go under the centre seat next to you. Even if it does not receive a tag, any second bag, needs to be stowed down. The staff should be checking the size of second bags to make sure they will fit under the seat as if it is too big then one of your bags needs to be checked in.

We do have a lot of outstation ground staff that are sometimes not completely clear on the rules as they often handle a number of different airlines. The cabin crew though are very aware of the rules and if you have been incorrectly tagged just have a word and we will remove the tag for you.

We obviously encourage bags to be stowed down where possible but we would never force someone with only one bag to do this as we absolutely love passengers that only have one small bag!
Thank you. This was my understanding too.

Hopefully the gate staff will follow this procedure more rigidly. If there's no space overhead then I place my laptop bag under the seat in front. If there's space then I will place it overhead (with my coat on top). I shouldn't be forced to place it under the seat in front if I've already 'done my bit' by checking my main bag in.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Classic at LHR yesterday: three passengers in a row remove the yellow tags presumably somewhere between getting on the jet bridge and their seat and then put up all their bags anyway and take up nearly two bins between their six (or more) items and their coats.

Who needs BA staff to remove the yellow tags?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
It does seem to be causing a lot of confusion amongst staff as well as irritating those customers who stubbornly refuse to be co-operative.

It's time for BA to lower the cabin baggage allowance then we can all fly in peace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.