Club Kitchen

Old Feb 13, 15, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Club Kitchen

Just back from a return trip to NYC, and on each flight I was underwhelmed by the meagre offerings in the Club Kitchen.

But I was mainly struck by how different things were to just a couple of years ago when everything in the kitchen was being championed as 'the best of British' - from the Cadbury chocolate to Waitrose/Dutchy Originals soups etc.

Can anyone remind me when the change came ? And was it only as a result of 'enhancement' or was there a genuine reason for the changes ?
Old Feb 13, 15, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Those who have questioned the move with BA have been greeted with the response that it was due to too much wastage. What I don't understand is the last few times I've flown long haul on BA (and I only do maybe 2 r/ts a year) there was never anything left in the latter part of the flight anyway.
Old Feb 13, 15, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I believe that there are some new products coming soon, on night flights most of the fresh food has been removed as it wasn't being eaten and there was a lot of waste.
Old Feb 13, 15, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
CIHY how 'fresh' is the fresh food? Don't sandwiches keep for a couple of days? Could they not be re-used for the returning sector or distributed to other flights? Or is at a case that all of the food must be thrown away at the end of the flight regardless of whether it has been opened or not?
Old Feb 13, 15, 8:23 am

Programs: BA*G, A3*G
TLV-LHR last week, Club Kitchen well-stocked with sweets, chocolates, a fruit basket, yoghurts, and most impressively I noticed they had added some unused fruit and cheese plates from the meal service, to give them a chance not to go to waste.

LHR-MIA a few days later, wandered down the back to stretch my legs and found the rear galley had a big box of similar snacks for WT pax to help themselves to. Whilst this is really lovely, it's quite surprising that there is so little distinction between CW and WT in this regard...
Old Feb 13, 15, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.
my experience matches Swisstony and CIHY!

Not enough on day flights, and never even bothered looking on a night flight!
Old Feb 13, 15, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by matthandy View Post
CIHY how 'fresh' is the fresh food? Don't sandwiches keep for a couple of days? Could they not be re-used for the returning sector or distributed to other flights? Or is at a case that all of the food must be thrown away at the end of the flight regardless of whether it has been opened or not?
Nothing fresh can be reused and any boxes opened are thrown away.
Old Feb 13, 15, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
So not this then, which appears on the BA website under the heading "A feast for the senses":

"an array of indulgent treats and healthy options from our Club Kitchen that you can help yourself to, throughout the flight"

Or, additional detail on the linked Business Class dining page:

"In between meals spoil yourself with a treat or two from our Club Kitchen.

There are lots of things to choose from including healthy nibbles, fresh fruit, wraps and ice cream. Other British favourites include Teoni’s handmade shortbread and Cadbury’s chocolate.

Enjoy a little of what you fancy."
Old Feb 13, 15, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by bafan View Post
Can anyone remind me when the change came ? And was it only as a result of 'enhancement' or was there a genuine reason for the changes ?
Cost cutting.
Old Feb 13, 15, 10:59 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
If I recall correctly, when it was first introduced the club kitchen had a selection microwave meals and a (wider) selection of sandwiches. Now we have fruit, packets of crisps and sweets, overall rather similar to what _used_ to be offered in Y/W.

The whole "it was stopped/changed as it was going to waste" is a nonsense excuse in my opinion, this is nothing other than penny pinching.
Old Feb 13, 15, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
I recall last year on the 175 to JFK the Club Kitchen having some unused starters from the lunch menu, which I thought was good. Also in the little fridge on the UD, the same.

Not seen that since. Not seen much since come to think of it. It has been shrinking and shrinking so much that on my flight back from HKG a few weeks ago there was nothing but a few bags of M&Ms shortly after the kitchen was put out.
Old Feb 13, 15, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold GFL, Marriott Gold, Swissotel Eleva, Hilton, SPG
Confused. I flew on the BA158 (ex ALA) on Wednesday, 8 hrs of 767 and was told the Club Kitchen has/is being removed on flights less than 9 hrs
Old Feb 13, 15, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by where2travel View Post
So not this then, which appears on the BA website under the heading "A feast for the senses":....

There are lots of things to choose from including healthy nibbles, fresh fruit, wraps and ice cream. Other British favourites include Teoni’s handmade shortbread and Cadbury’s chocolate.

Enjoy a little of what you fancy."
And this is my point, it's not Cadbury anymore, it's Mars chocolates. And I've never seen the 'handmade shortbread'.
Old Feb 13, 15, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold
A couple of times they had some really tasty macarons. On my last TATL, there were none to be found.
Old Feb 13, 15, 1:43 pm

flight back from Mumbai in January, awful kitchen.
Flight out from LHR January 2014 upper deck on the 747, couldn't have been a more different experience. FA made a hot wrap for me from the stuff in the club Kitchen.

Search this Thread