FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Aircraft changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1654199-aircraft-changes.html)

SEW247 Feb 11, 2015 2:47 pm

Aircraft changes

I'm flying LHR / YYC on 14th March, back on 27th March in CW. When we booked up ages ago it was on a 787 and lo and behold its now changed to a grotty old 767.

I had the nice row 3 on the 787 and now i'm in row 3 on the 767 and surprise surprise rows 1 and 4 are now gone and gone are my extra leg room seat :mad:

Can anyone let me know why they do this and also why we would not be told about this and whether or not this is common?

Also, (I think I know the answer to this!) My fiancé and I are both GCH and my Mum, Dad and Sister will be on the same flight, but they are up the back :eek: We are actually getting married in Banff and I wondering if there is any chance that the Lounge guardians might let us all into the lounge - has anyone else managed to do this / should we contact Exec Club and at least make a polite enquiry!?

MPH1980 Feb 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Why? Because they can. Plans change - rotations change - maintenance plans change - aircraft delivery plans change - planes run into buildings ... they break down etc.

It's common - and it's common not to be informed.

You can ask about the lounge access - given your wife and you are both GCH - it'd be one extra guest - but be prepared to be told no. The exec club phone people won't be able to help you - it'll be the lounge on the day.

paul4040 Feb 11, 2015 3:13 pm

Aircraft changes

Aircraft changes can and do happen. You don't get a notification I'm afraid. They usually just transfer the seat allocations over number by number, automatically.

Every chance it may swap back too - but I share your disappointment at getting a 767 vice 787! :(

Can I help you Feb 11, 2015 3:16 pm

The trouble is you book a flight not an aircraft.

SEW247 Feb 11, 2015 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by paul4040 (Post 24333922)
Aircraft changes can and do happen. You don't get a notification I'm afraid. They usually just transfer the seat allocations over number by number, automatically.

Every chance it may swap back too - but I share your disappointment at getting a 767 vice 787! :(

Yep, the last 767 I flew on had one of the overhead lockers held up with gaffer tape, so no, I'm not too happy about it! We also have another 11 guests to our wedding booked on the BA flights who are also going to be pretty disappointed too. ho hum.

Can I help you Feb 11, 2015 3:41 pm

All the longhaul B767s have been refurbished, they do have the older seats but the cabins do look a lot smarter.

Skipcool3 Feb 11, 2015 3:48 pm

The remaining long haul 767s have been refurbished. If any of your party are flying in economy, then the 767 offers the best seat pitch of any BA aircraft and a good seating arrangement for couples.
The economy seats on the 787 really are narrow, appear to have limited recline and some have terrible seat pitch, worse than some charter operators. -don't mis understand me, had I booked what I thought was a 787 service in Club, I may be irritated too... Tho' I might look to book another BA anomaly- a forward facing window seat in CW on the 767.

I still enjoy flying the 767 and would choose it over a 747 / 777 where possible.

highpeaklad Feb 11, 2015 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 24334194)
The economy seats on the 787 really are narrow, appear to have limited recline and some have terrible seat pitch, worse than some charter operators

They all have at least 2" less than Thomson.

12939 Feb 12, 2015 7:33 am

Originally Posted by highpeaklad (Post 24335058)
They all have at least 2" less than Thomson.

I found that so hard to believe that I had to seek out some pictures. I have to say the Thomson B787 actually looks pretty good for Economy - and a lot better than any of my recent BA experiences down the back.

It's a sad day when the charter companies are offering more legroom than BA.

BLHD Feb 12, 2015 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 24333948)
The trouble is you book a flight not an aircraft.

Perfect Answer. The majority of Passengers don't know/care/realise what type of Aircraft it is.

liamvad Feb 12, 2015 7:52 am

I am flying back from ARN in April,will the 767 be a grotty old one,or a refurb one??

Skipcool3 Feb 12, 2015 8:24 am

All the 767s have been gently fluffed, some are showing signs of abuse already, but the fleet is due to be retired in the not too distant future....