Thanks to this forum I....

Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks to this forum I....

1. Booked an Ex-EU open jaw trip in CW for little more than the WT seat Ex-London

2. Knew to check between Midnight and 1am for Avios availability in F

3. Called the US BA service centre (which was engaged until it closed at 8pm Eastern)

4. Called Hong Kong when it opened

5. Bagged the UUA - I'll be in First on a 380!

Result! Thanks to all who contribute. The knowledge base here is fantastic.

Nigel
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Don't leave us hanging.......where are you going?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Justonemore
Don't leave us hanging.......where are you going?
Nothing exciting - just IAD - LHR on the A380. I've done first in a 777 before, but this will be new for me. And I know it's not exactly the best use of First as it's such a short flight, but as it's an early-ish departure, I think I'll be able to take full advantage!

Nigel
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Enjoy!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
It is also the least amount of Avios to experience the A380 at the moment, isn't it?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I've done a couple of 6-7 flight with a flat bed, and the space makes as much difference as the sleep. I aim for 4-5 hours, and this leaves me in a far, far more normal state than an economy flight. Worth it? Well you have to take your chances! Seats are not necessarily there 10 minutes later, let alone after a day's ruminating.

Congratulations BTW. When I recently used Avios, to book a trip in April, it was all a rather naive panic, as I grabbed seated while they were available. First will be in a 777 for me. It could easily have been in an A380.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
It is also the least amount of Avios to experience the A380 at the moment, isn't it?
It was 20000 which seems like a good deal.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by ftaitr
...... Thanks to all who contribute. The knowledge base here is fantastic .....
I feel the same about my 2for1 and UUA opportunities. If it wasn't foe this forum I'd still be travelling in W at best!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well done.

Isn't it marvellous to know you can fly in first class for the same price of economy and a handful of Avios.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Nothing exciting - just IAD - LHR on the A380. I've done first in a 777 before, but this will be new for me. And I know it's not exactly the best use of First as it's such a short flight, but as it's an early-ish departure, I think I'll be able to take full advantage!

Nigel
Not at all, I tried to get my wife to agree to going to ATL via IAD for July 4th just so we could do the A380. It was two days after she authorised the HNL solo TP run so we are direct to ATL!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:44 am

2. Knew to check between Midnight and 1am for Avios availability in F
Can you explain this please? Did you do this on the day of your flight because you knew there was a likelihood of UUA becoming available at that time?

TIA.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bulkhead
Can you explain this please? Did you do this on the day of your flight because you knew there was a likelihood of UUA becoming available at that time?

TIA.
Having read numerous posts on this forum about the time that revenue management release award seats, I checked at around 12:40am UK time (I'm in the US, so I didn't have to stay up). This tends to happen between midnight and 1am.

I had looked on the avios.com site for availability a couple of times (as it's easier to browse through a set of dates), and F reward availability was showing up for flights earlier in the week, but not for the date I wanted. Third time, the flight had one F award seat, and I called up to book it.

I think it's worth getting a feel for the route you're on, to see how much availability there is and on which days. But it's going to be something of a lottery except for the guaranteed 2 x CW seats at 355 days.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:03 am

Thanks. That avios.com does make it easier to check availability over several days.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QFF Gold, TK Elite

Result! Thanks to all who contribute. The knowledge base here is fantastic.

Nigel
Totally agree. Thanks to this forum I've reached Gold, travelled to LA via Washington DC in Club on the A380 for £690, and booked a Premium Economy fare ex-DUB to Sydney with a 48 hour stopover in Singapore for £1k. I've since been able to UUA to Club on the LHR<>SIN legs and will have my first taste o the 747 UD

Thanks FT!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bulkhead
Thanks. That avios.com does make it easier to check availability over several days.
Probably okay on long haul routes but Avios.com can show zero availability while ba.com shows plenty of seats especially on CE flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.