AMS/LCY - a few questions

Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

AMS/LCY - a few questions

I have to interrupt a vacation in AMS with a short business trip to London. I’m trying to determine the quickest/least hassle/least chance of delay/not crazy expensive way to do it. I want to leave the Jordaan area of AMS on Thursday 5 March and arrive at the Intercontinental Park Lane in London by no later than 9 am and leave the IC Park Lane to return to AMS on the evening of Friday 6 March. Note that I have no status on KLM and am Oneworld Sapphire (AA Plat). I will have no checked luggage. Comfort/food/surliness, etc. aren't my primary considerations on this quick trip. Speed and dependability are.

My options appear to be

1. BA – AMS/LCY – 7:15/7:20; LCY/AMS – 19:00/21:05

2. KLM/Cityjet - AMS/LCY – 7:05/7:20; LCY/AMS – 19:45/22:00

My questions are:

1. What time do I need to leave Centraal Station to ensure that I clear security in time to comfortably make the 7:05 AMS-LCY flight?

2. What time do I need to leave the IC Park Lane – on a Friday evening – to ensure that I clear security in time to comfortably make the LCY-AMS 19:00 flight? I assume I’d take the train, not a taxi, but would pay for taxi if quicker.

3. Do either BA or KLM/Cityjet have a better on-time performance on this route?

4. Should I consider LHR rather than LCY, solely for time/convenience factors

Happy to hear any other suggestions/input.

Thanks very much.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
If you have to be in Park Lane it seems LHR to Paddington is the better bet.

Train times from Centraal to AMS vary largely depending on the number of stops. Security screening will take place at the gate, but you'll have to go through passport control, which can be a mess sometimes
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
There is no conformance per say at AMS or LCY so checkin online and get to the gate on time, security is at the gate in AMS for BA.

I would want to be on the fast train at 6am to Schipol from centraal station at the very latest.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:16 pm

Based on those requirements I'd fly into City (much quicker arrivals, less chance of chaos at immigration) and out of LHR (more direct transport via tube/HEX).

1. I would aim to be on a train no less than 1:10 before my flight. Security is close to the gate but AMS involves a lot of walking.
2. 17:30 by Jubilee then DLR
3. Pass - annecdotally both have let me down from time to time.
4. LCY is the more painless to use but I'd also bear in mind risk of fog (albeit March isn't too bad in that regard).
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Fly in AND out of City.

It is significantly quicker to clear immigration and security at LCY at LHR.

You should be able to get between City airport and the IC using the Tube in about 30mins. DLR to Canning Town, change to Jubilee line to Green Park
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
You could consider using the rail and sail service sailing overnight with a comfortable cabin (ship is huge) on the outbound.
It is a good, reliable option that gets you into London at a reasonable hour. I use it all the time. Should be about 75euro single from Amsterdam, including private, quiet cabin.

I regularly do this instead of catching an early flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.