BA or AY? LHR-HEL

Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by paul4040
This comes up a lot. Most of the best rationale for and against can be found in these two threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t3-lounge.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ld-lounge.html

^^^
Thank you very much!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
While I'm not a regular on this particular route (although I have flown it on both airlines in the past two years or so), I am a fairly frequent flyer with AY as a BA Gold. The main downside of AY is that the avios earnings are appauling (25% and no bonus). Otherwise the main difference is that with AY you have to pay for food and alcoholic drinks (and soft drinks).

Personally, if flying this route in Y, I'd really only go by price. The AY cabin is a bit nicer and seats better (primarily the leg room), and the food/drinks are a bit better if you want to fork out Ł30 extra for a few wines and a meal during the flight. They are also very good at seat blocking emeralds if space permit - more so than BA is!

If I were to fly this route on BA I'd make well sure to get an exit row [which is usually possible as a Gold] so that I can stretch my legs and work. In that case I guess BA is a bit better... Else AY is somewhat better [disregarding the major Avios issue].

As has been pointed out the ground experience in HEL is better with AY as you have not FT if flying BA [regardless of status or C ticket].
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Heard a rumour that A350 crew training flights start in September on HEL-LHR
Route(s) not confirmed though

The airline now confirms to Routesonline the aircraft will debut in long-haul scheduled service from October (most likely at the start of the new winter schedules) to Shanghai, but will use the aircraft for regional services within Europe for crew familiarisation.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...0-launch-date/
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Based on limited data (maybe 2 trips over the last 3 years) ...

I have noticed that in the case of weather problems at LHR the HEL -> LHR AY flight seems to arrive earlier than its BA equivalent.

I have had 2 cases were LHR has had fog and on both cases I have been on BA and had delays on 2 or more hours, while the AY flight landed not too much off schedule.

I was speculating if this is to do with BAs flexibility at Heathrow because of the slots and aircraft there, whereas if the AY flight is delayed it definitely delays the return flight.

Returning LHR to HEL then I usually end up on the AY late afternoon flight as that is more convenient when connecting from a transatlantic flight. The economy+ seats near the front with a bit more legroom are good, but then I noticed my travel agent puts me there even if the only available seat is the middle. The exit row seats further back are better for legroom (but with the normal limitations with storing bags)
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
OT but having done a few more LHR-HEL returns in both Y and C, I can confirm that I would really tend to choose AY over BA in both cases. It is really annoying to not make use of the limited free catering and good range of free drinks on BA in Y, but the AY seats are significantly more comfortable, seat selection is more reliable and I have had blocked middle seats in Y every time including on very busy flights while BA not only never blocks seats, but will soon not only let you choose your seat if flying on a HBO fare, there is some (limited) entertainment onboard, and catering in C is very significantly better on AY including both food and drinks.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
OT but having done a few more LHR-HEL returns in both Y and C, I can confirm that I would really tend to choose AY over BA in both cases. It is really annoying to not make use of the limited free catering and good range of free drinks on BA in Y, but the AY seats are significantly more comfortable, seat selection is more reliable and I have had blocked middle seats in Y every time including on very busy flights while BA not only never blocks seats, but will soon not only let you choose your seat if flying on a HBO fare, there is some (limited) entertainment onboard, and catering in C is very significantly better on AY including both food and drinks.
Yes, I have noticed the blocked middle seat also. That was something I used to enjoy a lot when I was AY platinum.

Also on AY I usually get offered the free papers before they try and sell them to the rest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.