Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Different class of travel. What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)

Ok, Wife & her kids will be over to see me this week. As it's half term no chance of Avios upgrades. So they are all in WT.

It's now looking like I'm going to be heading back on business the same day they fly back. I'll get CW. So do I:

1) Get brownie points at work & say I'll fly back economy.
2) Fly back CW & wave to them from Club
3) Get brownie points from wife by leting her go CW & I sit with her kids (she'll be happy, me & them will hate it )
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:55 am
Original Poster

No I'm not going to stump up several grand for them to fly CW before anyone asks!!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Simplez give her a treat.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I'd earn the brownie points at work and fly economy with the rest of the family. (Depends how long you can tolerate them for though! )
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64
Would the OP's boss, who is presumably flying him in J so that he arrives rested and ready for work, approve though? If Y is acceptable to him this time when traveling on business, maybe a permanent change of travel policy is in order ?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I agree with SteveF.

On (1), you should not say that this time you will fly Traveller because it would either present a dangerous precedent for that cabin being acceptable on other trips and/or cause you to be ineffective at the other end, wasting the trip.

On (3), you should not give up your seat in Club for your wife because it is not yours to give away. If I came to know that one of my employees had given away a Club seat that I had paid for I would consider it grounds for dismissal.

This leaves option (2). Enjoy your flight in Club!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:18 am

I'm with 6F on this one.

I think it's very dangerous to set precedents at work like that so I'd dismiss option 1.

Option 3 is tempting but I also feel it's not yours to give away. Sure, no-one at work would know yadayadayada but sitting in Y with the kids is not what work is paying the big bucks for.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you request reimbursement for a CW ticket when you switched seats to coach with a family member, this could be viewed as fraud. It could also create a tax liability that must be reported.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Why don't you swap your seat in CW with someone in WT who is seated near your family?Would be a nice gesture,and you will be with your wife etc,your work would be non the wiser,and the person you offer it to would be ever so grateful.Just a thought.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I have some flexibility in what I book for work down to WTP (up to me to manage budget and downgrading to maximise number of trips is approved).

On one trip I was in W and the family were in Y. A day before the trip BA moved me to J. At the airport I got moved to F and they moved to W. It was a 747 with W just behind F so I said my goodbyes and waltzed through the curtain trying to look sorry (I offered to switch but it was declined in case any child related emergencies needed senior management).

Last edited by rather_be_on_a_griffin; Feb 10, 2015 at 3:33 am
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by liamvad
Why don't you swap your seat in CW with someone in WT who is seated near your family?Would be a nice gesture,and you will be with your wife etc,your work would be non the wiser,and the person you offer it to would be ever so grateful.Just a thought.
You're still giving something away that the employer is paying in order for the employee to be more effective at the job. It's really no different from giving supplies and equipment away to random strangers on the street, perhaps because you feel that you don't need to use that computer right now.

OP will also need to explain to family that they can't come up to the CW cabin for visits during the flight.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Oh dear, you have just had a meeting crop up on that day and will have to fly the next day. Man, what a shame. Problem solved.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:35 am

makes me wonder what kind of employes some people have or are.
If TO would be my employee both 1 and 3 would be ok for me.
Without any negative results.
But we also let our people fly business class as a treat not because we expect them to be fully rested back to work after a 6+ hour flight.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swampz64
I flew her 1st class to Oz at christmas! Can't have her getting used to good travel.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcm9000
Oh dear, you have just had a meeting crop up on that day and will have to fly the next day. Man, what a shame. Problem solved.
Unfortunately the meeting I'm travelling for is on the Monday! So have to travel Sunday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.