BA's worst airport?

Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
BA's worst airport?

Prompted to start this as I am currently experiencing the 'delights' of FCO. Would emphasise that focus is on airport, not BA staff there (check-in were friendly and very on the ball, started to ask me which bag I wanted to have a yellow tag for and then they noticed the exit seat)

My 3 reasons are:
- massive security queue, stretching maybe 200m from entrance to security back through terminal (truly epic)
- very long queues to go through Italian exit controls (people leaving EU queue in hope 'all passports' queue was quicker); even with 3 e-gates in operation it was almost 15 minutes for me to get through that route
- lounge has a woeful absence of convenient power points - various random plugs at walls nowhere near seats now occupied with phones etc (I luckily snagged a seat where my phone is charging maybe 1.5 metres away from me)

If I was a non-status holder and I arrived an hour before my flight I'd be a goner
(I should give an honourable mention to TXL, and AMS gets also ran status due to lounge location relative to gate)

Any other nominations? (rhetorical question)
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
CDG, GDG and CDG in that order, no further need for explaination.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Except for the exit controls you could be describing T5.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:03 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Geneva...

Car rental drop off really inconvenient, too small for the volume of people, sardine can shuttle bus to the main terminal.

Massive queue, club priority queue as long or longer than economy. Really slow check in staff.

Priority security controlled by a gate they are supposed to a sticker on to give you access to if you're gold but frequently don't.

Not enough physical space to queue for security, no personal space while queuing.

One good restaurant landslide only. No food airside.

Lounge not enough seats at peak time.

Priority boarding for families, before club and gold. Which is frequently more than half the plane.

Generally ugly and unattractive airport.

Angry irritated people from dealing with all of the above.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:04 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
RUH.

</end of thread>
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by V10
RUH.

</end of thread>
Or JED.

Either way they are both a league worse than any European outstation. MAA is a bit crap too.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Prompted to start this as I am currently experiencing the 'delights' of FCO. Would emphasise that focus is on airport, not BA staff there (check-in were friendly and very on the ball, started to ask me which bag I wanted to have a yellow tag for and then they noticed the exit seat)

My 3 reasons are:
- massive security queue, stretching maybe 200m from entrance to security back through terminal (truly epic)
- very long queues to go through Italian exit controls (people leaving EU queue in hope 'all passports' queue was quicker); even with 3 e-gates in operation it was almost 15 minutes for me to get through that route
- lounge has a woeful absence of convenient power points - various random plugs at walls nowhere near seats now occupied with phones etc (I luckily snagged a seat where my phone is charging maybe 1.5 metres away from me)

If I was a non-status holder and I arrived an hour before my flight I'd be a goner
(I should give an honourable mention to TXL, and AMS gets also ran status due to lounge location relative to gate)

Any other nominations? (rhetorical question)
apart from the comments about the lounge this thread is very unfair to be titled BAs worst airport
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Or JED.

Either way they are both a league worse than any European outstation. MAA is a bit crap too.
Did you spell MAN wrong?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller

apart from the comments about the lounge this thread is very unfair to be titled BAs worst airport
Could you clarify? Surely security and passport experience are pretty fundamental to the airport experience - I deliberately wasn't focusing on BA's worst lounge
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Could you clarify? Surely security and passport experience are pretty fundamental to the airport experience - I deliberately wasn't focusing on BA's worst lounge
you have titled the thread BAs worst airport yes ?

BA do not have direct control over many of the issues you have raised
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
CDG, GDG and CDG in that order, no further need for explaination.
You sure?

CDG 2A/C is fine. The security and immigration has always been quick. Airport staff professional. BA staff ok. CX lounge excellent. RER tolerable. TGV connection handy for those connecting to further afield.

Is it really so awful?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
you have titled the thread BAs worst airport yes ?

BA do not have direct control over many of the issues you have raised
But the OP did say specifically:

Would emphasise that focus is on airport, not BA staff there
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: BA & VS
Miami arrivals was a shambles last night, surely one of the worst arrivals processes anywhere on the BA network.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC
I once waited an hour for my bags to come off the plane in FCO. Awful ground handling.

If BA includes Comair, then Livingstone (Zambia) would be my choice. Over an hour to check in (one massive line for all pax and all flights), tiny box of a lounge with no food/drinks. No priority boarding. I think a new airport is being built though.

For BA mainline, i'd say HAJ/Hannover. I was delayed 3 hours there...it's not the place you want to be delayed 3 hours.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ PPS/*A Gold, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Presidents Club, others nothing useful
Based on two visits in 3 weeks, FRA.

- All four flights were bussed at FRA
- No BA lounge - JAL one is very poor, even the Flounge (feels like an important enough place to deserve its own still)
- BA use T2 which is a painfully long bus or transit/walk from T1 where the trains are

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.