FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best T3 OneWorld Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1653179-best-t3-oneworld-lounge.html)

orbitmic Aug 16, 22 2:14 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 34517207)
No problem with your plan, but it’ll become very tiresome in my opinion. I think four hours would be plenty to maximise value and lounge hop. Over 8 hours on purpose sounds far too long

1000% agree!!! There is soooo much better to do with 8 hours of one's life! All those lounges are nice places to improve the time one has to wait for their plane, none of them would, in my view, deserve anything near being destinations/objectives in their own right. 2 hours would be great to enjoy and compare, 4 hours would stretch it to (or past) the limit, 8 hours would feel like punishment. And of course, bear in mind you never know if a delay may be added to any "planned" pre-departure time!

CoweyB Aug 16, 22 2:19 am

I did exactly this last weekend. By far the best lounge is Cathay and you can choose from an Eastern or Western menu. I was in the First Class lounge but it was very hot so after lunch I shifted to the Business Class lounge which I preferred.

I then went to the Qantas lounge and I was really disappointed. The upstairs reminded me of a faded, if once grand, hotel in Skegness. The gin bar wasn’t open when I arrived and I went back there for a spot of dinner but it was quite busy and the food wasn’t great. But my biggest issue was finding most of the seating there uncomfortable.

i then went to BA and it was nearly empty (I was in the Gold First Lounge though).

The AA lounge is still closed was still closed when I was there.

Do try them all. My order was Cathay, then BA, then Qantas but it will be a subjective choice for everyone.

xenole Aug 16, 22 2:24 am

Asked just now about an espresso martini at the QF lounge and the (miserable) bartender told me to try the BA ionge or the AA lounge that had just reopened.

No Lamingtons on the QF menu either.

Did have a slice of cake that sems to be garlic bread ;)

KARFA Aug 16, 22 2:25 am

Someone has reported in the last day on the AA board that the Admirals Club is now open again. No word on the AA F lounge tho.

xenole Aug 16, 22 2:32 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 34518337)
Someone has reported in the last day on the AA board that the Admirals Club is now open again. No word on the AA F lounge tho.

I shall pop over now to confirm.

Business is open, but not the F side. They seemed to think in the next couple of months.
Candy selection didnt seem quite as good. Jelly beans, Everton mints, lemon sorbets etc.

layz Aug 16, 22 3:03 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 34518342)

Business is open, but not the F side. They seemed to think in the next couple of months.
Candy selection didnt seem quite as good. Jelly beans, Everton mints, lemon sorbets etc.

Is the WiFi still very good? For me the WiFi was the key selling point of the AA lounge. CX best for eating, drinking and relaxing. AA best for working. I'd say the BA lounge is only worth it if you've never seen a BA lounge before. If I wasn't gold I'd use QF more at least during the hours of a la carte dining, but as a gold I find the CX F restaurant area better. Outside of the a la carte dining hours CX J beats QF in my opinion with the noodle bar and the times I've been there the bartender mde good cocktails.

fluffymitten Aug 16, 22 3:08 am

When I last passed through T3 (which was a good while ago now), I did the Cathay Lounge (+1 for the dan dan noodle recommendation) then the Qantas lounge (the gin bar was closed but upstairs was perfectly pleasant) and then the AA lounge just in time for sunset over the apron with a fabulous glass (or two) of Saint Emilion. The people on the AA front desk twigged we were doing a lounge crawl and apologised that theirs wasn't as nice as the others (it wasn't) but I did mention to them on the way out that their wine was great and our visit timing was perfect for the view.

I didn't bother with the BA lounge.

xenole Aug 16, 22 3:22 am

Both the BA F and AA lounges have fridges of Jude's salted caramel, vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream ;)

Barrheadlass Aug 16, 22 3:33 am

Am flying Club World with layovers in London both ways in November…does this mean I have access to all these lounges too? Unfortunately I have 7 hours to kill before my flight from London to the U.S. on my trip home.

pythonisman Aug 16, 22 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Barrheadlass (Post 34518427)
Am flying Club World with layovers in London both ways in November…does this mean I have access to all these lounges too? Unfortunately I have 7 hours to kill before my flight from London to the U.S. on my trip home.

It's easiest to enjoy the T3 lounges if your next onward flight departs from T3. Most (possibly all at the moment?) BA flights to the US from LHR depart from T5 so on that sector you'd have to use a more complex method to get to T3 for the lounges, then out of T3 and over to T5 for your departure.

The BA lounges in T5 aren't a great place to spend 6-7hrs (similar to above, I wouldn't personally want to transit for 6-8hrs in a lounge, have done it a couple of times due to delays and it's not the most fun.

Instead, would you consider leaving LHR and heading somewhere in London for the time? The Elizabeth line isn't too pricey to get in to Paddington (or onward once you get there), and there is plenty to see for a few hours in that part of central London. If I were faced with a 7hr layover at LHR I would strongly encourage getting out of the airport, get some air/daylight and stretch legs before a next onward flight. (Obviously everyone's circumstances are different and you'd have to consider what to do with hand baggage etc, so this is thinking out loud only!)

xenole Aug 16, 22 4:24 am

I've done the few hour layover a number of times.
If I've no real baggage, a couple of hours around Notting Hilll or the shopping centre at Stretford isn't too bad.

Popped to Chiswick or Tesco near Hatton Cross a few times.

Sometimes I can't be bothered reclearing security, or it's too hot to wander outside, so I'll spend an hour or so in each lounge.
As I said earlier, theres only so much you can eat and drink without forcing yourself just for a sake of doing so.

This morning, I've been to the CX, QF, BA and AA lounges.
Each have their merits, and failings but all.ultimarely aren't exciting places to sit for multiple hours.

scubadu Aug 16, 22 5:31 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 34518337)

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 34518342)

Confirmed on AA.com as well:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...s/lhr-club.jsp

Regards

Smid Aug 16, 22 7:03 am

Travelling outside into London has additional cost, I'm not sure what a return on the Elizabeth line is now, but it used to be about £20, before and then where do you want to go onwards to too? Plus the hassle of potentially a long wait to get back in through security later in the day, which isn't always a quick thing.

Some people just like to chill, I didn't have any issue passing 8 hours in QR J (not OW) lounge in DOH when going through before, which is a not uncommon connection time (either an early flight, long wait in DOH, or a later flight, no lounge potential hurry on a delayed short connect time).

Smid Aug 16, 22 7:10 am

Any reports on the delights of the AA J lounge which has reopened, it can't be as bad as a US Admirals, I assume?

It used to do a better breakfast than the BA J lounge, buffet of scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages, I don't think we hung about long enough to see if there was any champers when we were there in 2016. I think at that point, it was rated lower than BA J for that reason.

AA F was waitress service with champers. but that won't be open till autumn.

itsmeitisss Aug 16, 22 7:55 am

Originally Posted by tomparskate (Post 34517456)
I've lounge surfed many times in T3 and love it.

American Lounge is worth visiting too, Last time I was there they had Moet! And the fastest WiFi if you are needing to catch up on work.

BA lounge is also fine to chill for a bit for sure

That over acidic, over promoted Moët would be a reason not to visit. Terrible Champagne.