FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best T3 OneWorld Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1653179-best-t3-oneworld-lounge.html)

KARFA Mar 14, 18 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Knickam (Post 29525320)
Thank you

Will be there in plenty of time to sample the CX, Qantas and AA lounges, Not sure of the actual locations so just want a logical route in the general direction of the boarding gates.
Not too worried about the BA F lounge as probably similar to the T5 one which I have been in a few times.
Flying in J so will no LPGS for us, And don't worry as we will be at the gate in plenty of time. The better half will see to that.

The lounges are all along the same corridor and within 100m of each other. You could start off at CC, then work your way through QF, BA., and AA, with the AA one being marginally closer to your likely gate.

CloudCoder Mar 16, 18 2:54 pm

If you're gonna Lounge-Hop anyway, then you should allow enough time to visit BOTH the First Class and Business sections of all the lounges. Otherwise you've only seen half of the available lounges.

Knickam Mar 17, 18 2:12 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 29533094)
If you're gonna Lounge-Hop anyway, then you should allow enough time to visit BOTH the First Class and Business sections of all the lounges. Otherwise you've only seen half of the available lounges.

Turns out I am going to be back at T3 flying with RJ 3 weeks later. 50 odd years and never been there and now twice in a month so will be able to visit any I missed first time round.

Smid Mar 17, 18 7:20 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 29533094)

I'd really not suggest you visit the business version of BA or AA, unless you want to view how bad things could be...

FlightNurse Mar 17, 18 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29535291)
I'd really not suggest you visit the business version of BA or AA, unless you want to view how bad things could be...

AA's flagship lounge is pretty good.

Smid Mar 17, 18 11:20 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 29535865)

Which is their F lounge. I said business. Unless they let BA Silvers into their F lounge like they do in the US.

Amil Mar 17, 18 4:51 pm

is there a flagship business like LAX? last time i was there in September it was pretty nasty compared to the other available lounges.

megaloman Mar 17, 18 5:03 pm

DELETED

CloudCoder Mar 18, 18 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29535291)

The attraction of these two lounges is that they are YUGE. So ... walk in ... experience the hugeness ... then leave quickly.

KARFA Mar 18, 18 4:58 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 29538233)
The attraction of these two lounges is that they are YUGE. So ... walk in ... experience the hugeness ... then leave quickly.

and experience the superfast wifi in the AA lounges! but otherwise I agree head somewhere else. I usually head to the CX lounge and don't move :)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/LzTHof.jpg

Ziz Mar 19, 18 3:33 am

I love the CX lounge. When I was last in T3 the QF lounge was being refurbished but I hear it's great. That comment is basically just to hedge off a response of "nooooooo are you crazy?!" My question is: is there a reason OneWorld hasn't combined forces to offer a single lounge in T3 (of considerable size of course)

rossmacd Mar 19, 18 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Ziz (Post 29541434)
My question is: is there a reason OneWorld hasn't combined forces to offer a single lounge in T3 (of considerable size of course)

Why would we want that? BA would not want the same level of investment as the more premium carriers would be willing to provide.

subject2load Mar 19, 18 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Ziz (Post 29541434)
...............My question is: is there a reason OneWorld hasn't combined forces to offer a single lounge in T3 (of considerable size of course)

Heaven forbid.

Ziz Mar 19, 18 4:27 am

I wasn't suggesting they SHOULD. I was just wondering why they hadn't like Skyteam did in T4.

subject2load Mar 19, 18 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Ziz (Post 29541521)
I wasn't suggesting they SHOULD. I was just wondering why they hadn't like Skyteam did in T4.

Major airlines like to have a dedicated lounge, in their own name, at their home base.

But - that apart - I’d say look no further than the reason given by rossmacd above.. It is not by mere chance that the CX (and latterly, QF) lounge has quickly become the go-to quality option at T3.

libertyuk Mar 19, 18 3:59 pm

Star Alliance had a single lounge at T1 when it occupied it (and only half of the Star Alliance was at T1) and its airlines chose to have three separate ones when they were unified into the new T2. Besides LH which monopolised the main terminal lounge (and so is the lounge for almost all short haul *A flights), SQ, AC and UA all wanted their own spaces because LHR is such a critical hub for their operations. Hardly surprising BA has lounges at T3 given the amount of operations there, but again AA and CX regard LHR to be a key premium location for their operations (in competition with UA and SQ no less), and QF took the opportunity to use the ex. SK lounge site to lure OWS/E cardholders to its space as well as saving on most of its premium passengers using competitors' lounges. JL had a lounge at T3 at one time too.

wrp96 Mar 19, 18 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29535922)
Which is their F lounge. I said business. Unless they let BA Silvers into their F lounge like they do in the US.

Originally Posted by Amil (Post 29536989)
is there a flagship business like LAX? last time i was there in September it was pretty nasty compared to the other available lounges.

AA started granting business class admission to the Flagship Lounge last summer (also to OWS).

Amil, you would've been at LAX either while or before it was refurbed, so the LAX lounge is a different experience now (the oneworld lounge in TBIT is still the better option though).

Smid Mar 19, 18 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 29543912)
AA started granting business class admission to the Flagship Lounge last summer (also to OWS).

AA often treats it's overseas lounges differently from their domestic lounges, with AA status passengers not getting access granted. I know that AA granted access to Flagship lounges to business passengers is the US last summer.

If that is also true of the AA F lounge in LHR T3, then I wonder why bother having a business lounge. It sounds as if nobody should be in it, if business and F and status above Sapphire have access to Flagship F lounge.

From what I recall last summer, it wasn't a bad one even at OWE level, so I'd be using the AA F lounge when I go to silver in April if that holds true... It is also a LOT smaller than the AA business lounge.

However, if you have not got into LHR T3 AA as a OWS/Business passenger, I don't believe you. I'd like to hear of someone who has...

KARFA Mar 19, 18 5:57 pm

It seems the LHR lounge is still an International First Class Lounge and not a Flagship. AA states access for OWE and F only. At LHR OWS/J would use the AC or one of the other oneworld J lounges.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp

Amil Mar 19, 18 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 29543912)

Amil, you would've been at LAX either while or before it was refurbed, so the LAX lounge is a different experience now (the oneworld lounge in TBIT is still the better option though).

I was at the AA Flagship Business in LAX recently and preferred the food options over the TBIT ... I think I confused you I had meant I was in the LHR T3 AA last September and I wasn't a fan at all unless there is some Flagship room for Business that I didn't see or was newly built.

wheatbeer Mar 30, 18 5:31 am

Not sure if it is just me but I always feel unwelcome going to the the AA lounges at T3 when not flying AA?

First response is always "do you realise that BA have their own lounges?" followed by "well we won't be announcing your flight here so make sure you keep track of time".

Compared to the CX or QF where you're greeted with open arms.

redpalmetto Mar 30, 18 6:59 am

I am in the Cathay lounge now, and it is superb and very welcoming.
Also creme eggs at reception!

Misco60 Mar 30, 18 7:15 am

Originally Posted by redpalmetto (Post 29583542)
I am in the Cathay lounge now, and it is superb and very welcoming.
Also creme eggs at reception!

I didn't see the creme eggs! Time to go for a wander, I think!

Frequent flyer 101 Mar 30, 18 7:28 am

It's also interesting that on the AA site, it's list LHR as "coming soon" for a flagship lounge. Does anyone know when the refurb is scheduled to take place?

frandrake Mar 30, 18 7:40 am

I guess there is also a brand/product consideration to be made. When I was based in TPE flying all the time CX, I welcomed the "family feeling" of CX lounges across Asia and in major European hubs. As I entered the lounge, I felt much closer to home. To this date, when I happen to visit the CX lounge at CDG (which is still in the old design I was used to) and LHR T3, the smell alone reminds me of those years.

While I do really love the BA brand, I cannot say they deliver their lounge experience with the same consistency (not to mention the overall level). Same can be said for AA (even though the new Flagship ones are going the right direction).

Thus, if I were a major international airline caring about my premium image, I would never agree to dilute my brand and customer experience by sharing my lounge with other airlines.

wheatbeer Mar 30, 18 7:46 am

Originally Posted by frandrake (Post 29583671)
Thus, if I were a major international airline caring about my premium image, I would never agree to dilute my brand and customer experience by sharing my lounge with other airlines.

Ok so basically you think alliances are not needed?

lost_in_translation Mar 30, 18 7:56 am

Combined alliance lounges are for airlines which don't have enough flights per day to justify a standalone lounge and therefore would otherwise send passengers to a contract lounge - why would CX with 5 premium-heavy wide body flights a day out of LHR, AA with probably 10-15 and BA with (no idea, 40?) flights a day out of T3 go for a combined lounge that doesn't really conform to their global standards?

Misco60 Mar 30, 18 10:20 am

I just moved from the CX First lounge to Galleries First. Bad move. CX was an oasis of calm with fine food and drink; GF is a zoo/kindergarten/canteen. I wonder if I still have time to try Qantas' lounge.

The _Banking_Scot Mar 30, 18 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 29584260)
I just moved from the CX First lounge to Galleries First. Bad move. CX was an oasis of calm with fine food and drink; GF is a zoo/kindergarten/canteen. I wonder if I still have time to try Qantas' lounge.

Hi,

If you have more than 5 minutes then yes! ( even if just to get a quick taste of the lounge)

Regards

TBS

Misco60 Mar 30, 18 10:45 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 29584284)
If you have more than 5 minutes then yes!

I took your advice - thank you! It is beautiful, and very peaceful. Only about half a dozen other guests, no raised voices, no loud phone conversations, no children. The staff are delightful.

It feels a just a little sterile to me, and CX is still my favourite, but it is nevertheless in a different league to Galleries First.

WorldLux Mar 30, 18 10:58 am

Originally Posted by frandrake (Post 29583671)

That is an interesting strategy. If I were a major international airline with top lounges, then I'd definitely let in frequent flyers booked on alliance partner flights. It reduces the operating cost (I can charge other airlines for the entrance fees rather than keep an empty lounge open/close it in between flights) and it serves as advertisement for your airline. Particularly if you pay attention to the little details, then you may convince customers of other airlines to give you a try.

frandrake Mar 30, 18 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by wheatbeer (Post 29583689)
Ok so basically you think alliances are not needed?

I was referring to why a dedicated, branded, premium lounge is a good idea for some airlines rather than diluting.

Needless to say that alliances are a very good idea for airlines and passengers.

TheWiseOne Apr 9, 18 8:28 pm

I will be going through T3 with a BA First Class ticket in August and thinking of my best strategy. I am going to be in the terminal for about 4 hours from 17:00. At the moment, I am thinking of doing the following:

17:00 - Massage and drinks in GF
18:00 - Dinner in CX lounge (maybe a shower too?)
19:30 - 21:00 - ????

At the moment, I cannot make my mind up on what to do for the final hour and a half. Should I go back to GF and drink loads of JW Blue/LPGC, or should I stay in Cathy/go to Qantas? If I am being honest, I want a calm place without a creche like feel but with good alcohol options.

As for my flight, I am booked on 2A on a 747 to CPT so planning on sleeping most of that.

Smid Apr 9, 18 8:55 pm

You won't get LPGS and I don't think JW blue (never paid attention to the colours, it could be red) in GF. Castenau, for champers...

GF is not the CCR.

absoluy Apr 9, 18 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29622200)
You won't get LPGS and I don't think JW blue (never paid attention to the colours, it could be red) in GF. Castenau, for champers...

GF is not the CCR.

While the champagne is Castelnau/Henriot, there is JW Blue available. The whiskey selection is definitely more first class than the champagne.

rossmacd Apr 9, 18 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by TheWiseOne (Post 29622114)
I will be going through T3 with a BA First Class ticket in August and thinking of my best strategy. I am going to be in the terminal for about 4 hours from 17:00. At the moment, I am thinking of doing the following:

17:00 - Massage and drinks in GF
18:00 - Dinner in CX lounge (maybe a shower too?)
19:30 - 21:00 - ????

At the moment, I cannot make my mind up on what to do for the final hour and a half. Should I go back to GF and drink loads of JW Blue/LPGC, or should I stay in Cathy/go to Qantas? If I am being honest, I want a calm place without a creche like feel but with good alcohol options.

As for my flight, I am booked on 2A on a 747 to CPT so planning on sleeping most of that.

I'd just be sticking with the CX F lounge for the full time. And JW Blue is not a great whisky, Diageo just do a great job of marketing it as a premium option. Better champagne in CX F lounge also.

wheatbeer Apr 10, 18 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29622200)

GF is not the CCR.

Yesterday on the Champagne thread someone reported that LPGS was on self pour in GF T3. Probably not for long though.

orbitmic Apr 10, 18 2:10 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 29583724)
Combined alliance lounges are for airlines which don't have enough flights per day to justify a standalone lounge and therefore would otherwise send passengers to a contract lounge - why would CX with 5 premium-heavy wide body flights a day out of LHR, AA with probably 10-15 and BA with (no idea, 40?) flights a day out of T3 go for a combined lounge that doesn't really conform to their global standards?

I don't think that is entirely true. There is a reason why both ST and *A have chosen LHR to have an alliance lounge despite it being used by airlines which have own lounges in smaller European airports, and the same with Oneworld at LAX despite an airline like BA having its own lounge at some US airports where it has smaller operations. The reason is that alliance lounges are also a PR tool which is here to suggest that the alliance means business and use its marketing potential to potential flyers. That is one of the reason why alliances exist in the first place and common lounges are great PR tools to highlight it.

Smid Apr 10, 18 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by wheatbeer (Post 29622819)
Yesterday on the Champagne thread someone reported that LPGS was on self pour in GF T3. Probably not for long though.

Isn't it 130 a bottle versus 30-40?

Costly mistake for BA and whoever put that out. At that priceit will not be long...

KARFA Apr 10, 18 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29625565)
Isn't it 130 a bottle versus 30-40?

Costly mistake for BA and whoever put that out. At that priceit will not be long...

There were also report of LPGS out at LGW in GF there. It seems deliberate rather than a mistake.