FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best T3 OneWorld Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1653179-best-t3-oneworld-lounge.html)

celtic_warrior Feb 14, 20 5:45 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32070712)
Thanks for that detailed overview as a semi-outsider, I wonder if it deserves to be in the main T3 lounge thread. I share a lot of your sentiments here too, I think it's good assessment. You may have been slightly harsh on the AA First lounge, their actual food provision can be fairly good within the limited menu and once the main AA rush is half over it has some merit. But to clarify the Qantas quote above, they use the downstairs section later in the day when the lounge gets a lot more busy and there can be a bit of an atmosphere then too. They reserved signs are just to hurry you up the stairs.

I thought the reserved signs were for Qantas elites flying on the next flights? I have dined there twice and usually about 50% of the tables are reserved. The manager has a list on numbers of expected elite guests.

ttama Feb 14, 20 5:57 am

Thanks for the wiki. Just heading to T3 right now and thinking of using Quantas.

My OH will be working in the lounge '(no phone calls) so I hope the WiFi works well.

KARFA Feb 14, 20 6:17 am

Originally Posted by ttama (Post 32071041)
Thanks for the wiki. Just heading to T3 right now and thinking of using Quantas.

My OH will be working in the lounge '(no phone calls) so I hope the WiFi works well.

If she needs a fast connection the best wifi by far is in the AA lounge

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...eee6f2de4.jpeg

gliderpilot Feb 14, 20 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 32070941)
Why is often rated the best?

1) Quiet. Probably only one. Except the AA F or the CX J can be quiet.
2) Self pour champagne. Only BA F has this too, and a better Champers in both CX J and F.
3) A la carte food. Though the restaurant is too small, I tend to order in J and take a buzzer with me to F. Too much of a faff to sit in the crowded restaurant or wait if I have an hour.
4) View of the planes. CX seems to win with this one, though there's spots in BA F, right? Not been if CF.

Other facts why not? Spirit selection. Not my bag. Probably better in other lounges. Gin for QF for sure. Fancy Johnny Walkers in BA F.

CX F ticks all my boxes. Though CX J would if there was self pour champers or general booze, but never had problem being served quickly at the bar.

don't forget the showers :-) Personally I think CX has the nicest ambience as a place to relax with quality furnishings for both lounges. Yes, the F lounge is probably too small but presumably it was sized for fewer numbers than it actually gets.

QF for me is the place to go for a great waiter service breakfast of salt and pepper squid and a quality coffee and for a g&t at the downstairs bar later in the day.

ttama Feb 14, 20 6:53 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 32071083)
If she needs a fast connection the best wifi by far is in the AA lounge

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...eee6f2de4.jpeg

Thank you, that's very helpful

Donsyb Feb 14, 20 7:40 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 32070693)

CX F - Honestly, I didn't really see what all the hubbub was about. I mean if you wanted a nice asian meal, I get that. The rest of this area was fairly small and didn't really hold any special appeal to me. Spent a little time in there before going to the J section which I preferred. Lots of table seating in the eating area, decent amount of seating in the lounge area, nice views and I enjoyed the lounge chair with mini tables, love those kinda things.

Did you actually eat at the CX F restaurant? They don't just offer Asian food, there is always a western option, and the quality of both IME is excellent - much better than any of the other T3 lounges.

The other upside of this lounge is it is usually quiet and easy to get a seat, unlike AA/BA lounges.

gypsyjaney Feb 14, 20 10:52 am

Sorry for the silence - I managed to lose mypassword and got locked out!

thanks for the reminder - I need to correct my typo about Cathay . I did visit Cathay F and that was the lounge with the good champagne. However I liked the J lounge best for the space and the food selection. Nothing wrong with the champagne there either, just less selection..

gypsyjaney Feb 14, 20 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 32070463)
I didn't know what Canard Duchene was, but a quick bit of Googling reveals that it gets generally very good reviews and costs about 30 euros a bottle. One of the reviews I read summed it up as not worth going out of your way to find, but it's a very enjoyable glass. I dont think that's bad for a champagne being given away free at an airport.

Yes point taken. I just donít get why BA serve super expensive LPGS and Tattinger in Terminal 5, yet something much more ordinary in terminal 3 - and only one champagne at that. Is T3 really such a poor relation? Certainly thatís how the lounge there looked to me. LGW J is much nicer.

TGLoyalty Feb 14, 20 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by gypsyjaney (Post 32071985)
Yes point taken. I just donít get why BA serve super expensive LPGS and Tattinger in Terminal 5, yet something much more ordinary in terminal 3 - and only one champagne at that. Is T3 really such a poor relation? Certainly thatís how the lounge there looked to me. LGW J is much nicer.

Arenít you comparing CCR with the F lounge though?

One is a proper First class lounge where the other is really just a better lounge for status holders. Perhaps T3 could be a bit better as it must have far less visitors. Maybe we will see some improvement after the Heathrow lounge refresh.

tbh Iíve never had any complaints about the offering in the BA F lounges (Apart from the toilets) at T5 but the North/South N T5 ones are getting long in tooth though.

KARFA Feb 14, 20 12:20 pm

I think the champagne offering in T3 GF is exactly the same as T5 GF which currently is canard Duchene. The LPGS is in the CCR in T5 and there is no CCR in T3.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 14, 20 12:25 pm

And Jeepers Rosť too. They do occasionally put a bottle or two of LPGS out in the lounge, particularly late on but it's not an everyday event.

brp Feb 14, 20 12:27 pm

I'm sure that this has been asked here before, but I honestly can't think of good thread search terms to try and find answers, so apologies if this is a repeat:

Due to a weather cancellation we now have 8 hour layover at LHR. Yeah, we could go into London as one possibility. We arrive T3 on AA (BA flight number). We leave for GLA out of T5. Is it even permitted for us to clear immigration and then access T3 for lounges to kill some time? I know that wrong-terminal access in the US is no problem, just don't know if they allow it in the UK.

Also, since we do have a valid departure that day on OW airlines, I assume that the lounges would allow access if we can get to them?

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences.

Cheers.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 14, 20 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 32072363)
so apologies if this is a repeat:.

Yes, it's not an unusual question.

Yes, in your situation you can simply go to Flight Connections T3 on arrival, transfer to T3 with your boarding pass and then the lounges there are available to you. Then when done, follow the signs to Flight Connections again for the T5 bus, allow at least 90 minutes for that. You will find out a lot more by reading this thread and searching with (e.g.) "arrive T3 depart T5 lounge".

Andriyko Feb 14, 20 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 32070941)
Why is often rated the best?

I appreciate it that everyone has their preferences, and thank you for elaborating as to why you find the CX lounge so tempting. I don't. I think it's a dungeon, and it is the worst lounge out of all OW lounges at T3 all things considered. My point was not about what is the best or the worst lounge (it is very very personal and subjective after all) but rather that when something becomes an established 'truth' here it is hard to say something against it or to say that you prefer something else. People worship and swear by the CX lounge, and I just don't understand why (again, I don't need convincing. I have tried them all. I just don't think it is a one-size-fits-all situation).

megaloman Feb 14, 20 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 32072363)
I'm sure that this has been asked here before, but I honestly can't think of good thread search terms to try and find answers, so apologies if this is a repeat:

Due to a weather cancellation we now have 8 hour layover at LHR. Yeah, we could go into London as one possibility. We arrive T3 on AA (BA flight number). We leave for GLA out of T5. Is it even permitted for us to clear immigration and then access T3 for lounges to kill some time? I know that wrong-terminal access in the US is no problem, just don't know if they allow it in the UK.

Also, since we do have a valid departure that day on OW airlines, I assume that the lounges would allow access if we can get to them?

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences.

Cheers.

When you land at T3, follow signs to Flight Connections and then back into T3, right before security you'll be asked why you want to enter T3 with T5 boarding pass, explain you have more than 3h and want to visit AA lounge. After security look out for "express connections" path, which avoids shops and drops you near the lounges. Once you're ready to go to T5 follow signs for Airlines Service Desk opposite gate 23, and then flight connections to T5. Bus ride takes 15 minutes, so allow enough time to get to T5.