FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best T3 OneWorld Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1653179-best-t3-oneworld-lounge.html)

mediamonkey Jan 28, 18 6:25 am

I normally base myself in the Cathay lounge but tried the new Qantas one recently as was very impressed, especially with the dining options. I suppose if I fancy dim-sum and noodles for dinner I'll go to Cathay if I fancy something else I'll go to Qantas. I was surprised at how small the Qantas lounge felt however, but the standard of the finish was excellent. Then I might pop into the AA lounge closer to boarding if my sweet tooth plays up and I fancy a few treats for the flight!

Sealink Jan 28, 18 6:39 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 29341690)
Can't believe that no-one has mentioned two big (well IMHO!) perks of the AA lounge - a help yourself sweetie bar (with takeaway bags helpfully provided), and - best of all - Portlebay popcorn! If there's a finer snack to be had, I haven't found it. :p

Since I rarely drink in lounges, and have a rather sweet tooth, I often opt for the AA lounge. Great service, decent wifi and although the ambience is a bit lacking compared with the competition, I love being able to leave with a bag of chocolates for the flight.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the AA Lounge. I normally fly VS and thought I would miss the Clubhouse experience, but it was actually very comfortable, and peaceful. There were lots of nice touches, like the sweetie jars which showed more 'personality' than say the BA lounge. And if I recall a reputable brand of Champagne on offer!
The QF lounge was very nice but I felt a bit more formal in it's layout, and no food served before 930am I think. I could be wrong.

Genius1 Jan 28, 18 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Knickam (Post 29347889)
Does this lounge hopping at T3 cost BA money as in having to pay 2 or more airlines for using there lounges?

Yes. Up to three time the cost for BA if a passenger chooses to use the CX, QF and AA facilities on the same trip.

gliderpilot Jan 28, 18 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by MrsW (Post 29345587)
We are not T3 regulars so havenít visited since October. Popped into the Cathay lounge for dim sum and found a new menu.
What a shame......

Was in the CX J lounge in December and the Char Siu Bun was no longer on the menu :-( Does anyone know if it is/has come back?

Ldnn1 Jan 28, 18 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by gliderpilot (Post 29350005)
Was in the CX J lounge in December and the Char Siu Bun was no longer on the menu :-( Does anyone know if it is/has come back?

The menus change within the day - so you may see certain items at one hour and other items at another hour.

gliderpilot Jan 28, 18 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 29350049)
The menus change within the day - so you may see certain items at one hour and other items at another hour.

Thanks, hopefully will be lucky next time. I love Char Siu Buns :)

WickedStepMother Jan 28, 18 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by gliderpilot (Post 29350101)
Thanks, hopefully will be lucky next time. I love Char Siu Buns :)

This was the all day dining menu in the CX F lounge on 19th January. The Dim Sum Basket had one Char Siu Bau and two Har Gau. The grilled seabass main course was totally lacking in flavour that day and we wished we had gone back to the AA F lounge for lunch.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3f1912f0f.jpeg

sxc Jan 28, 18 4:19 pm

Has the menu been laminated now?

Dark Blue Jan 28, 18 5:19 pm

The CX F was rubbish and I will not go back. I ordered a soft drink, starter and main. I had to wait for the drink to be served for 30min, then the starter didn't show up after 1 hour! I had to go to the gate and left the lounge. The BA F is the best for me.

mcgahat Jan 28, 18 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dark Blue (Post 29350640)
The CX F was rubbish and I will not go back. I ordered a soft drink, starter and main. I had to wait for the drink to be served for 30min, then the starter didn't show up after 1 hour! I had to go to the gate and left the lounge. The BA F is the best for me.

I have definitely not been impressed with the service in the restaurant and particularly the drink portion. Found it easier to just go get my own. The food did actually come out in a reasonable amount of time in all my visits though. Servers seem to struggle to keep up. I think I have determined the CX lounge isnt for me also but dont know that I would call it rubbish. I have only visited a few times though.

Phil the Flyer Jan 28, 18 11:03 pm

The CX F was rubbish and I will not go back. I ordered a soft drink, starter and main. I had to wait for the drink to be served for 30min, then the starter didn't show up after 1 hour!

Who waits 30 minutes for a soft drink and leaves after one hour without being served their starter?!! :confused: Drinks are available on a self-serve basis, and Iíd be bending the ear of the waiting staff if my food order didnít appear after 10-15 minutes.

From memory thereís no more than a dozen tables in the F dining section and on our most recent visit two or three waiting staff were in attendance.

subject2load Jan 28, 18 11:27 pm

The CX F was rubbish and I will not go back. .................The BA F is the best for me.

Iím framing this one for posterity :D

I find the service - not to mention overall quality - to be very good indeed in CX T3.

Mind you, this particular report might help my personal campaign to keep the CX lounge as uncrowded as possible .......

Dark Blue Jan 29, 18 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 29351534)

Who waits 30 minutes for a soft drink and leaves after one hour without being served their starter?!! :confused: Drinks are available on a self-serve basis, and Iíd be bending the ear of the waiting staff if my food order didnít appear after 10-15 minutes.

From memory thereís no more than a dozen tables in the F dining section and on our most recent visit two or three waiting staff were in attendance.

There was only one staff member serving in the dining area. Many people were redirected to the business lounge for dining and everyone in the F dining had similar waiting times. I was initially told the main would take 30-40min, but it was OK with me at that time but eventually the drink was served after 30min. Yes, I fetched water but the drink I ordered was only available from the menu. I don't know if it's an isolated case but it's only my experience with the CX F, I just go to the BA F.

corporate-wage-slave Jan 29, 18 2:00 pm

Sounds like a temporary staff shortage to me, CX usually have 2 staff in the First restaurant area and the chef running around too occasionally. If it was recent, many, many airlines and support companies were ravaged by the Australian flu epidemic between mid December and until quite recently. CCR had a few days well short on staff for example. Dare I say it here, but all lounges have their off days occasionally.

Greenpen Jan 29, 18 3:57 pm

I have followed this thread with interest but I am now wondering if it has been hijacked by CX fanatics!

I recently visited most of the T3 lounges. The QF lounge was pleasant but rather bright. The food looked good but not outstanding. The Daily Telegraph was available.

In the CX F bit it seemed claustrophobic to me. I wanted to experience the noodle bar so had to go into the J side. They gave me a binger to alert me to the availability of my choice but would not serve it in the F side. I went back to the F side and the dim sum appeared so they sorted that out but it was just rather dull food. Nothing special otherwise.

I went to the BA lounge. It was relaxed and had good food and wine. I stayed there. They had a rum tasting going on; I don't drink rum (since a nasty experience in 1971 that involved too many rum and blacks) but it seemed to me they were trying to make the lounge experience something that enhanced (not in the BA sense) the visit. I was flying F on JL so never bothered with food in the lounge.

When I go again to T3 then if there is not time to lounge crawl then the BA F lounge is the one for me.

(Sorry, never tried the AA lounge on my mast visit but have been there before and not liked it.)

TravellerFrequently Jan 29, 18 4:34 pm

Thanks Greenpen.

A view slightly against the tide....
While I enjoyed the superior CX F food and service, the space, ok food and better wine and /champagne are more important to me. If I have the time, I dine in CX F and relax in BA F.

MarkFlies Jan 29, 18 4:59 pm

...The BA F is the best for me.

I agree, but it depends on how long I have. The last few times at T3, I've got through security at around T-60 and I've found myself going to the BA lounge. It's predictable - maybe a quick snack from the hot buffet and a drink, sit for 20 Minutes, then off to the gate. If it's breakfast time, it's quicker to self serve at BA from the hot buffet.

If I wanted to relax for hours and dine with waiter service, the CX menu and lounge is great. It just means hanging around the airport for longer.

FlightNurse Mar 4, 18 3:31 pm

Have lounge question, will be arriving LHR on AA in F then connecting to BA in J to DUB what lounge access will we have in T5?

corporate-wage-slave Mar 4, 18 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 29484965)
Have lounge question, will be arriving LHR on AA in F then connecting to BA in J to DUB what lounge access will we have in T5?

This isn't really the right thread, but as advised in the replies to your other post, your best option is Galleries First in T5, the other option being Galleries Club in South, North or T5B. I can't think of a good reason using GC in this circumstance.

KARFA Mar 4, 18 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 29484965)

galleries first lounge in T5 based on your inbound F flight assuming connecting on same day. Keep hold of your inbound bp as youíll have to shown that at GF reception.

Peter Ould Mar 8, 18 2:00 am

One World Lounges in T3

H folks,

Flying from T3 Heathrow this afternoon (I normally do all my flying from T5). As Silver / Sapphire and with a Priority Pass from my bank, which in your opinion is the best lounge to use?

Thanks in advance.

madfish Mar 8, 18 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Peter Ould (Post 29499045)
H folks,

Flying from T3 Heathrow this afternoon (I normally do all my flying from T5). As Silver / Sapphire and with a Priority Pass from my bank, which in your opinion is the best lounge to use?

Thanks in advance.

There are a number of threads on this topic. Have a search and I’m sure you will find the answer your require. Basically it will be a choice between the Cathay or Qantas lounges rather than BA or AA.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...e-options.html

Peter Ould Mar 8, 18 2:14 am

Thanks - I did a quick search but didn't bring anything up. That link is really useful!!

And in your own opinion, which lounge would you go for? Cathay Business seems the obvious choice as I'll be there over lunch.

madfish Mar 8, 18 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Peter Ould (Post 29499079)
Thanks - I did a quick search but didn't bring anything up. That link is really useful!!

And in your own opinion, which lounge would you go for? Cathay Business seems the obvious choice as I'll be there over lunch.

Simple. Do both :)

Food in CX is better as you have the noodle bar. The gin bar in the Qantas lounge is also popular (although Iíve not tried it!)

Peter Ould Mar 8, 18 2:29 am

Originally Posted by madfish (Post 29499102)

Simple. Do both :)

Food in CX is better as you have the noodle bar. The gin bar in the Qantas lounge is also popular (although Iíve not tried it!)

Noodle bar it is!!! Once Lent is over, I'll go back and try out the gins.

Peter Ould Mar 12, 18 3:20 am

Hi folks,

Just a quick report back to tell you that the CP lounge at lunchtime was absolutely magnificent!! Thank you for your recommendations. Cannot wait till I get my BA Gold shortly and can then try the CP First lounge.

I'm flying out of T3 in a few weeks time, this time getting into the terminal at breakfast time. Any recommendations as to which lounge I should use then?

Frequent flyer 101 Mar 12, 18 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Peter Ould (Post 29513559)
Hi folks,

Just a quick report back to tell you that the CP lounge at lunchtime was absolutely magnificent!! Thank you for your recommendations. Cannot wait till I get my BA Gold shortly and can then try the CP First lounge.

I'm flying out of T3 in a few weeks time, this time getting into the terminal at breakfast time. Any recommendations as to which lounge I should use then?

CX again. Full English breakfast until noon.

gliderpilot Mar 13, 18 3:18 am

Hi folks,

glad you had a great time. Iíd say CX again. English breakfast with dim sum side order :-) however the QF lounge does a mean barista coffee.

Have they got the green ant gin back yet?

Amil Mar 13, 18 3:24 am

How's the food at the new Qantas lounge?

Frequent flyer 101 Mar 13, 18 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Amil (Post 29518244)
How's the food at the new Qantas lounge?

The stuff they have out most of the time is just ok. There are proper food options for a few hours prior to each qantas flight so you need to time the visit right to get that.

BertieBadger Mar 13, 18 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101 (Post 29513616)
CX again. Full English breakfast until noon.

Hi, quick question - is this true of the CX Business Lounge or just First? Travelling through T3 around 6am this Saturday with MrsBertieB and 2 non-status friends. Only 1 GCH, 1 SCH so we're restricted the business lounges (we're staying as a group)
Thanks

Knickam Mar 13, 18 6:58 pm

First time in T3 in a couple of weeks flying AA to Miami on the 09:45 flight.
Would there be a preferred route to take around the lounge circuit before boarding.

Amil Mar 13, 18 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Knickam (Post 29521585)
Would there be a preferred route to take around the lounge circuit before boarding.

start with Qantas and Cathay then before flying try out the ghetto AA lounge and head to your flight

BigEyedFish Mar 13, 18 8:57 pm

Hi folks,

My preference is either BA or AA for eating breakfast in the First Lounges....... I think I'm in the minority. I've had breakfast in the CX FL and it's not really my cup of tea (both ambience and food). Sitting in the lounge area drinking champagne afterwards and watching the planes, it's CX, but for the eating, either avocado toast with poached egg at the AA FL, or some kind of breakfast sandwich at the BA FL (or smoked salmon and eggs).
Although, that's the First lounges - no clue about the regular lounges........

mjh0 Mar 14, 18 4:55 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger (Post 29518396)
Hi, quick question - is this true of the CX Business Lounge or just First? Travelling through T3 around 6am this Saturday with MrsBertieB and 2 non-status friends. Only 1 GCH, 1 SCH so we're restricted the business lounges (we're staying as a group)
Thanks

Hot breakfast buffet in CX Business as I recall. Both Western items and I'm fairly certain some Asian breakfast items such as buns and congee.

BertieBadger Mar 14, 18 5:02 am

Originally Posted by mjh0 (Post 29522822)
Hot breakfast buffet in CX Business as I recall. Both Western items and I'm fairly certain some Asian breakfast items such as buns and congee.

Perfect, thanks ^

eefor jfp Mar 14, 18 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Knickam (Post 29521585)

Since you're BA Gold per your profile, you have access to the first sections of all the lounges. I liked the CX Chinese breakfast (dim sum, congee, etc.) though they also have an English breakfast and you can get the side of dim sum. I also like the AA Flagship lounge for breakfast--eggs Benedict, avocado smash on toast, etc. The BA First lounge has a very nice standard English buffet plus a sit down section with a menu. The Qantas lounge has a sit down section downstairs with one or two choices that the staff will bring you and a buffet upstairs. In some ways, breakfast is breakfast and the differences are minimal, so you can't really go wrong. The service seems slowest at CX, so if you're running late, that may be a factor in pushing you to the buffet. Remember it's a pretty long walk to the end of the pier where the AA flights to Miami leave from so allow 10-15 minutes from the lounges depending on your speed. Finally, if you're in First on AA make sure to save room for the LPGS they are serving. If in business, then the lounges probably have better champagne than you'll get onboard.

Smid Mar 14, 18 11:58 am

Originally Posted by eefor jfp (Post 29523488)
Finally, if you're in First on AA make sure to save room for the LPGS they are serving. If in business, then the lounges probably have better champagne than you'll get onboard.

Are you saying they serve LPGS in the AA First lounge? I popped in for the brekkie, but didn't notice the champers. Or do you mean onboard F?

eefor jfp Mar 14, 18 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29524282)
Are you saying they serve LPGS in the AA First lounge? I popped in for the brekkie, but didn't notice the champers. Or do you mean onboard F?

onboard. sorry if that wasn't clear. they had Tattinger Rose in the lounge a week or two ago.

Knickam Mar 14, 18 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp (Post 29523488)
Since you're BA Gold per your profile, you have access to the first sections of all the lounges. I liked the CX Chinese breakfast (dim sum, congee, etc.) though they also have an English breakfast and you can get the side of dim sum. I also like the AA Flagship lounge for breakfast--eggs Benedict, avocado smash on toast, etc. The BA First lounge has a very nice standard English buffet plus a sit down section with a menu. The Qantas lounge has a sit down section downstairs with one or two choices that the staff will bring you and a buffet upstairs. In some ways, breakfast is breakfast and the differences are minimal, so you can't really go wrong. The service seems slowest at CX, so if you're running late, that may be a factor in pushing you to the buffet. Remember it's a pretty long walk to the end of the pier where the AA flights to Miami leave from so allow 10-15 minutes from the lounges depending on your speed. Finally, if you're in First on AA make sure to save room for the LPGS they are serving. If in business, then the lounges probably have better champagne than you'll get onboard.

Thank you

Will be there in plenty of time to sample the CX, Qantas and AA lounges, Not sure of the actual locations so just want a logical route in the general direction of the boarding gates.
Not too worried about the BA F lounge as probably similar to the T5 one which I have been in a few times.
Flying in J so will no LPGS for us, And don't worry as we will be at the gate in plenty of time. The better half will see to that.