FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best T3 OneWorld Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1653179-best-t3-oneworld-lounge.html)

marcopizzaiuolo Sep 15, 22 11:55 am

Asked this in another thread but received no answers, so I try again:

family of five, mum and dad Silver, children all bronze (I know it does not make a difference), youngest child 6yo (has been let in without charge fee times in PP lounges, only once charged), flying ET from LHR T3, all same booking. Would we be able to enter in the Cathay Pacific Lounge? Not fancy the BA lounge at T3 and rather go to the Centurion one where all 5 of us will have access, but curious to try the Cathay one for breakfast 6:45am flight, I understand it opens at 5:30am

KARFA Sep 15, 22 12:52 pm

that's quite an ask if i understand the situation, basically you want two additional guests beyond the normal entitlement. i think the exception for CX is like BA, so only under 2 year olds don't count as guests.

i think the best way would be to ask nicely and hope they allow it, but expect that they will say no. better get practicing the face :)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...5476.jpg?w=620

marcopizzaiuolo Sep 15, 22 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 34602948)
that's quite an ask if i understand the situation, basically you want two additional guests beyond the normal entitlement. i think the exception for CX is like BA, so only under 2 year olds don't count as guests.

i think the best way would be to ask nicely and hope they allow it, but expect that they will say no. better get practicing the face :)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...5476.jpg?w=620

sorry, but if I understand the entitlement, I am asking only for one extra entry: ( I probably should have written “Mum and dad both silver”)

each of the silver parent can guest one child, which leaves the younger without entry entitlement… the kids love the Centurion Lounge so I may ask if we can get all in and if refused, can walk fast back to the centurion lounge

KARFA Sep 15, 22 1:18 pm

ah apologies yes five, for some reason i was convinced you wrote six so two parents and four children.

NickB Sep 25, 22 6:03 am

The restaurant in the QF lounge was not open yesterday before lunchtime, presumably because the MEL flight that normally leaves at 11:55 had been delayed until 18:30, resulting in the restaurant opening from 4pm-ish onwards rather than in the morning. Fair enough.

Rather more disappointingly, the gin bar was closed and bartenders in the upstairs bar would only serve the beefeater gin. That it is the first time I experienced that. I have on occasion visited the lounge in the afternoon when the restaurant was closed and it has never been an issue getting one of the gins from the gin bar. Not so yesterday at lunchtime. Not impressed.

CatchThePigeon Sep 25, 22 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Tempus (Post 34602614)
Anyone know if the noodle bar in the T3 Cathay lounge has different operating hours, or if it runs open to close?

I don't know the answer to this question and I too would like to know. Thanks.

FlightDetective Sep 25, 22 6:50 am

Anyone know if the noodle bar in the T3 Cathay lounge has different operating hours, or if it runs open to close?

In the Paris lounge they used to be "on request from 10am to 9pm" back in 2017.

Not sure what the story is in the LHR lounge, but I'd say they will be available most of the time.

I've never seen them not available and I'd certainly notice.

SxMan Sep 29, 22 6:30 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 34628523)
The restaurant in the QF lounge was not open yesterday before lunchtime, presumably because the MEL flight that normally leaves at 11:55 had been delayed until 18:30, resulting in the restaurant opening from 4pm-ish onwards rather than in the morning. Fair enough.

Rather more disappointingly, the gin bar was closed and bartenders in the upstairs bar would only serve the beefeater gin. That it is the first time I experienced that. I have on occasion visited the lounge in the afternoon when the restaurant was closed and it has never been an issue getting one of the gins from the gin bar. Not so yesterday at lunchtime. Not impressed.

Well, as of Noon today, all the downstairs is closed as apparently “between flights”. No dining and no bar, only the upstairs offering.

gustavmahler Sep 29, 22 6:35 am

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon (Post 34628534)

I've never had an issue getting noodles at any time of day. They're on the F lounge restaurant menu too so it wouldn't make any sense not to offer it to J pax.

lsquare Sep 29, 22 8:11 am

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon (Post 34628534)

Originally Posted by FlightDetective (Post 34628576)
In the Paris lounge they used to be "on request from 10am to 9pm" back in 2017.

Not sure what the story is in the LHR lounge, but I'd say they will be available most of the time.

I've never seen them not available and I'd certainly notice.

Originally Posted by gustavmahler (Post 34640371)
I've never had an issue getting noodles at any time of day. They're on the F lounge restaurant menu too so it wouldn't make any sense not to offer it to J pax.

Back in June 2022 when I was at LHR CX J, the noodle bar was opened all the way until closing time. I know because my AY flight was scheduled slightly after CX J closed for the day.

Door5L Oct 2, 22 6:44 am

T3 lounge

Can anyone confirm what time the BA Heathrow T3 lounge closes? Flight to Porto at 20:05 coming up and I have just seen on my booking that it is a T3 departure. Thanks

m8_rotate Oct 2, 22 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Door5L (Post 34647922)
Can anyone confirm what time the BA Heathrow T3 lounge closes? Flight to Porto at 20:05 coming up and I have just seen on my booking that it is a T3 departure. Thanks

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...rt/heathrow-t3
Seems 2230hrs, see the link.
Not sure if you have One World status? But if you have silver or gold, head to the Cathy Lounge, way better than BA.

Door5L Oct 2, 22 6:48 am

Thanks!

mikeyfly Oct 2, 22 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Door5L (Post 34647928)
Thanks!

Obviously you’ll head to the far superior lounges? The question should be “what time do Cathay and Qantas close?” :D

m8_rotate Oct 2, 22 6:56 am

I flew to Porto last weekend, not sure about QF but CX lounge is open until the last CX Departure normally around 2100hrs.

KARFA Oct 2, 22 7:03 am

CX closed around 1730 unless there is a later CX departure - which I don’t think is every day atm.

marcopizzaiuolo Oct 2, 22 10:30 am

Piggy backing to this thread, where would you say it is best to get a very early breakfast (06:45 am departure, aim to be in the lounge at opening 05:00-05:30 for about 30 minutes breakfast) at T3?

we also have access to the Centurion Lounge, which we like very much, but was curious about trying the other OneWorld lounges (not impressed by the BA one previously)

GumshoeW12 Oct 2, 22 11:09 am

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo (Post 34648356)
Piggy backing to this thread, where would you say it is best to get a very early breakfast (06:45 am departure, aim to be in the lounge at opening 05:00-05:30 for about 30 minutes breakfast) at T3?

we also have access to the Centurion Lounge, which we like very much, but was curious about trying the other OneWorld lounges (not impressed by the BA one previously)

The CX lounge says it opens at 0530. Qantas won’t be open and AA hasn’t reopened post Covid so it’s between CX and Centurion.

Genius1 Oct 2, 22 11:35 am

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12 (Post 34648454)
AA hasn’t reopened post Covid

The AA Admirals Club lounge is now open again 05:30 to 19:00 daily. The AA International First Class lounge remains closed.

KARFA Oct 2, 22 11:42 am

I think the AA F lounge is due to reopen in October, but that may just be rumour. I do hope so if only to try and reduce the demand on the CX F lounge from AA passengers.

LCY8737 Oct 2, 22 11:44 am

The CX lounge says it opens at 0530. Qantas won’t be open and AA hasn’t reopened post Covid so it’s between CX and Centurion.

I'd rather go BA than centurion. Not a big fan of the bar concept and the food options seemed unattractive (at least not to my taste).

lsquare Oct 2, 22 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by m8_rotate (Post 34647936)
I flew to Porto last weekend, not sure about QF but CX lounge is open until the last CX Departure normally around 2100hrs.

Sounds like CX is closing later now. Earlier this summer, it was between 17:30-18:00.

Originally Posted by LCY8737 (Post 34648541)
I'd rather go BA than centurion. Not a big fan of the bar concept and the food options seemed unattractive (at least not to my taste).

AMEX CL has better food but is very strict about the three-hour entry window.

​​​​​​​Technically, COVID isn't over yet. I don't think WHO or even the British government has declared the pandemic is over.

LondonAussie Oct 2, 22 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by m8_rotate (Post 34647936)

QF is the same, open until boarding closes on their evening flight to Sydney via Singapore at around 8:30pm.

marcopizzaiuolo Oct 2, 22 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by LCY8737 (Post 34648541)

sorry, but you must be really one of the few that would say that the BA Business Lounge has better food then the Centurion Lounge.

There is no real context about food and drinks offering (including the cocktails), and also about the design / ambience, hence I wanted to see if Cathay or Qantas would be better contenders vs Centurion as I will probably fly out of T3 quite often over the near future.

the only negative points about the Centurion Lounge, if it is important for some, is the lack of natural lighting /outside views

LCY8737 Oct 3, 22 2:07 am

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo (Post 34649245)
sorry, but you must be really one of the few that would say that the BA Business Lounge has better food then the Centurion Lounge.

There is no real context about food and drinks offering (including the cocktails), and also about the design / ambience, hence I wanted to see if Cathay or Qantas would be better contenders vs Centurion as I will probably fly out of T3 quite often over the near future.

the only negative points about the Centurion Lounge, if it is important for some, is the lack of natural lighting /outside views

I suppose it is a matter of personal taste... I would rate the lounges CX > AA > BA > QF > AX. But the good thing about T3 is that there is something for everyone, and I for one will not compete for seats in the AX lounge. :D

marcopizzaiuolo Oct 3, 22 3:46 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737 (Post 34650088)
I suppose it is a matter of personal taste... I would rate the lounges CX > AA > BA > QF > AX. But the good thing about T3 is that there is something for everyone, and I for one will not compete for seats in the AX lounge. :D

surely personal taste is involved but there is also general consensus, and the Centurion lounge is known to have better food..

last time I was there there was both a spectacular slow cooked beef dish (melt in the mouth) and sea bass filets, to a level that I have never found in a BA business lounge both at Heathrow and Gatwick, but also a great selection of desserts.

the question may be around wanting a platinum card to access it if one has already OneWolrd status and/or fly in Business Class, but in the three flights I took flying CE from T3 recently I have rather gone to the Centurion Lounge than use the BA one.

xenole Oct 3, 22 3:47 am

To me, it depends on the menu in the BA lounge.

CX if I want free flow champagne, dim sum basket, fish and chips, mini shortbread, a decent shower etc.
QF if I want salt n pepper squid, espresso etc.
AA for the candy bar area.
BA if they're doing pie and mash.

I tend to hit all of them to see what's what though.

LCY8737 Oct 3, 22 5:14 am

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo (Post 34650189)
surely personal taste is involved but there is also general consensus, and the Centurion lounge is known to have better food..

last time I was there there was both a spectacular slow cooked beef dish (melt in the mouth) and sea bass filets, to a level that I have never found in a BA business lounge both at Heathrow and Gatwick, but also a great selection of desserts.

the question may be around wanting a platinum card to access it if one has already OneWolrd status and/or fly in Business Class, but in the three flights I took flying CE from T3 recently I have rather gone to the Centurion Lounge than use the BA one.

You will have to count me out of that perceived consensus.

I am not a big fan of lounge food at the best of times (exceptions being made for the CX F wonton soup and the - sadly discontinued - CCR smoked salmon). I did try said Amex sea bass and found it dry, beef I do not like in general. What mostly disturbed me about the Amex lounge was that it was very busy. An issue to which I shall not contribute again.

allset2travel Oct 3, 22 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 34650191)

CX if I want free flow champagne, dim sum basket, fish and chips, mini shortbread, a decent shower etc.

+1.
That the order I will follow on my next transit. :tu:

lsquare Oct 4, 22 5:28 am

You think AA and BA are better than AMEX CL? LMAO!!!!

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo (Post 34650189)

​​​​​​​IMO, CX and AMEX, and even QF easily surpass BA. Unless something big changed since my last visit in June 2022.

Grace B Oct 6, 22 2:59 am

I tend to agree with you.

I think QF is vastly overrated.

lsquare Oct 6, 22 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Grace B (Post 34658510)
I tend to agree with you.

I think QF is vastly overrated.

A la carte is the reason why QF surpasses BA.

TWCLAM Oct 6, 22 6:49 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 34650191)

I remember on our 1st visit to the QF lounge years ago, soon after it's revamp, the OH proposing marriage to the waiter who delivered the salt n pepper squid. To save his blushes I assured him that having discovered the Green Ant Gin myself she was all his if he brought the remaining stock out but I wouldn't be held responsible when it dawned on her that it was actually the chef she was after.

As additional datapoints the Dan-Dan Noddle's were freely available in the J CX lounge last week about 10:30 ish. Perhaps a raised eyebrow when I offered to save us all time & accept the champagne bottle in it's entirety besides my seat but not a refusal

Grace B Oct 7, 22 12:27 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34658562)
A la carte is the reason why QF surpasses BA.

Fair enough, but I'm not interested in a la carte in airport lounges...

GDOCP Oct 9, 22 4:00 pm

Hi everyone - jumping on this thread for some advice. I'm flying out of T3 in AA J this coming Friday, and will need to do some work including a Teams call whilst I'm in the airport. Which of the T3 lounges would be best for working from do you think? Do any of them have cubicles for phone calls (I'll be using a headset needless to say but would be good to minimise disturbance to everyone else)? I'm BA Gold so obviously I have plenty of options...

Thanks.

flybymonkey Oct 9, 22 4:18 pm

Mini report

I recently had a bit of an unexpected layover in T3 of just over 6 hours so decided to sample the oneworld lounge offering and I have come back with some rather interesting experiences across them all.

BA

This was the first lounge I darted for as I had someone to meet and they decided on the location. I was checked in by a polite receptionist but like all the others bar the one lady cleaning tables had facial expressions that can only be described as RBF’s. 2/3 agents at the desks were all on their phones and one using social media. I know this as I was stood in front of her for close to 30 seconds before I gave a light cough when she looked at me with a slight sense of disdain for disturbing her, no apology, nothing.

The far end of the lounge was closed off but as it was very quiet, we sat near the coffee machines and spirit bar, both of which had a good selection of drinks. I am no wine pro so will pass comment on those. There was also a decent continental breakfast offering, so I selected a croissant and a white coffee while I waited for my colleague. During my wait, I couldn't help but notice a chap sitting opposite me with a near full glass of what appeared to be whiskey at 8am!

This lounge really needs proper refurbishment or should just be closed. At least it was quiet, and the coffee and food were good. Whist the agents/reception staff had no customer service skills the waiting staff were very good as they were turning over tables in good time and were polite and so the place was clean. I didn’t get to try the bathroom. BA asked me to complete a questionnaire after the flight and I have feedback on my lounge experience after my flight and so told them all this.

Qantas

As I came through the doorway, I was greeted by a very pleasant receptionist who welcomed me as I checked in. I made my way into the restaurant area with the open kitchen and a mini buffet where I was greeted by a member of the waiting staff and sat near the window. He promptly gave me a menu took a drink order and removed the additional set space. A few minutes later he returned with my coffee and water and took my food order which in this case is the salmon eggs benedict. This I notice was a very popular option during my visit. The coffee tasted a little weak to my liking as I generally prefer a rich dark roast in the morning, and this was bordered on tasteless. The eggs benedict I had to send them back as they were undercooked and not well prepared. The maître d extended his apologies and relayed feedback to the chef and promptly made me a fresh one.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9de20e22b3.jpg

After breakfast, I went upstairs and used the large single toilets which were maintained by an attendant. I sat down by the window by the bar area and asked for some mint tea. The barista refused as they only do coffee and told me I had to go to the far end by the buffet and make it myself (weird). After a bit of plane spotting and finishing my tea I packed my belongings and left for the CX lounge.

Of the three lounges, I found this to be the busiest of them all. Whilst it is a hybrid of business and first class passengers it did surprisingly have its flaws. The menu is very good as there is a good mix of dishes from all regions and possibly my preferred of all the lounges. I also liked the bathrooms which were maintained by the attendant.

I discovered the seated area throughout the lounge is all shown as reserved. When I flagged down a member of staff, she advised this was for First Class passengers only but offered me the seat but I duly refused as I was happy where I was.

Cathay Pacific

Upon coming out of the elevator I was greeted by what I can assume to be the senior member of staff who was British! She promptly checked me and asked me if I had ever visited the lounge before and then gave me a personal tour of the lounge. She even went out of her way to come over to me as I was leaving and enquired about my visit to the lounge and if there was anything she could do for me!

The lounge was busy but not as near as the Qantas lounge. I made my way up past the noodle bar which was very busy not stopping as I am not a big fan of this dish and made myself comfortable on the lounge chairs which overlook the runway and got myself a glass of water from the bar. Oddly they don't serve crisps only nuts. There were some minimal western food dishes like chicken wings and some sandwiches/wraps but nothing at the time that took my fancy, so I sampled a chicken wing which was nice.

Cathay Pacific’s lounge had the best of all service from the moment I arrived to leaving and being treated with someone of importance. At one point I had dumped my jacket on the floor by the chair and a lounge attendant picked it up and placed it on the back of my chair! There is a good level of food offerings, especially with the open kitchen noodle bar and the mixed mini buffet just off that. The bar had what appeared to be a good offering and some house cocktails available. This lounge has been open for a while now and whilst I think the design still holds it does need some light renovation in areas. The biggest disappointment of this lounge was the toilets. Whilst they do appear to have a cleaner (who was working her socks off) between the male and female loos, it was a surprise walking into the men’s with no warning on the door. This was not the biggest problem but the visitors and the conditions they left them in and walking straight out without washing their hands!!!

Dan72 Oct 9, 22 7:30 pm

Cathay lounge open until 2100

Sri Lankan (UL) have contracted the CX lounge which now opens until 2100, regardless of whether there is a Cathay departure. Qantas have a departure at that time and their lounge was rammed, but the CX first lounge was quiet, with no more than four passengers in the first lounge.

UL issued a lounge invitation, but presume Cathay will happily take any eligible status passenger that they can charge for.

stimpy Oct 16, 22 7:34 pm

I was at T3 recently, for the first time in years. I didn't even know there was a Centurion lounge there until I looked at the lounge guide which you run into right after fast track security. So I walked over there thinking it would be the best, especially as a Centurion member. But unlike other Centurion clubs they said nothing about a private seating area or reserved seats. They just said I could have two complimentary drinks (?) at the bar. So I sat at the bar and had a couple glasses of Laurent Perrier Champagne and thought this is nothing special. The food didn't look that great. The service was very nice though.

Then I walked over to the BA business class lounge and found better food, more space (even counting for the closed off space in the back) and a better collection of wine and free pour spirits, albeit minus the Champagne. The service didn't matter as everything was self-serve. I think I will stick with the BA lounge the next time at T3 and flying BA.

marcopizzaiuolo Oct 16, 22 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 34686207)
I was at T3 recently, for the first time in years. I didn't even know there was a Centurion lounge there until I looked at the lounge guide which you run into right after fast track security. So I walked over there thinking it would be the best, especially as a Centurion member. But unlike other Centurion clubs they said nothing about a private seating area or reserved seats. They just said I could have two complimentary drinks (?) at the bar. So I sat at the bar and had a couple glasses of Laurent Perrier Champagne and thought this is nothing special. The food didn't look that great. The service was very nice though.

Then I walked over to the BA business class lounge and found better food, more space (even counting for the closed off space in the back) and a better collection of wine and free pour spirits, albeit minus the Champagne. The service didn't matter as everything was self-serve. I think I will stick with the BA lounge the next time at T3 and flying BA.

completely different experience from me but now is the second or third report I read about “only two complimentary drinks”… when I last visit before the summer, I visited the bar multiple times for champagne and wines.

in my experience, the food, food presentation and service is also well above any BA business lounges I have visited both at LHR and LGW. I will be soon back in T3 for an early 06:30 flight, so only time for a quick breakfast and was thinking to try the Cathay Pacific one for once, so I will only probably be back in the a Centurion lounge in the new year, and hope that what I am reading about limited drinks, will have gone away (I would certainly send a feedback form if I were you)

stimpy Oct 17, 22 2:35 am

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo (Post 34686334)
completely different experience from me but now is the second or third report I read about “only two complimentary drinks”… when I last visit before the summer, I visited the bar multiple times for champagne and wines.

Let me add that the bartender was not in agreement with any two free drink limit. He was happy to fill up my glass again. But this was my first visit and I'm sure there's a lot I don't know about this CL.