FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best T3 OneWorld Lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1653179-best-t3-oneworld-lounge.html)

wheatbeer Mar 30, 18 7:46 am


Originally Posted by frandrake (Post 29583671)
Thus, if I were a major international airline caring about my premium image, I would never agree to dilute my brand and customer experience by sharing my lounge with other airlines.

Ok so basically you think alliances are not needed?

lost_in_translation Mar 30, 18 7:56 am

Combined alliance lounges are for airlines which don't have enough flights per day to justify a standalone lounge and therefore would otherwise send passengers to a contract lounge - why would CX with 5 premium-heavy wide body flights a day out of LHR, AA with probably 10-15 and BA with (no idea, 40?) flights a day out of T3 go for a combined lounge that doesn't really conform to their global standards?

Misco60 Mar 30, 18 10:20 am

I just moved from the CX First lounge to Galleries First. Bad move. CX was an oasis of calm with fine food and drink; GF is a zoo/kindergarten/canteen. I wonder if I still have time to try Qantas' lounge.

The _Banking_Scot Mar 30, 18 10:25 am


Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 29584260)
I just moved from the CX First lounge to Galleries First. Bad move. CX was an oasis of calm with fine food and drink; GF is a zoo/kindergarten/canteen. I wonder if I still have time to try Qantas' lounge.


Hi,

If you have more than 5 minutes then yes! ( even if just to get a quick taste of the lounge)

Regards

TBS

Misco60 Mar 30, 18 10:45 am


Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 29584284)
If you have more than 5 minutes then yes!

I took your advice - thank you! It is beautiful, and very peaceful. Only about half a dozen other guests, no raised voices, no loud phone conversations, no children. The staff are delightful.

It feels a just a little sterile to me, and CX is still my favourite, but it is nevertheless in a different league to Galleries First.

WorldLux Mar 30, 18 10:58 am


Originally Posted by frandrake (Post 29583671)
Thus, if I were a major international airline caring about my premium image, I would never agree to dilute my brand and customer experience by sharing my lounge with other airlines.

That is an interesting strategy. If I were a major international airline with top lounges, then I'd definitely let in frequent flyers booked on alliance partner flights. It reduces the operating cost (I can charge other airlines for the entrance fees rather than keep an empty lounge open/close it in between flights) and it serves as advertisement for your airline. Particularly if you pay attention to the little details, then you may convince customers of other airlines to give you a try.

frandrake Mar 30, 18 3:25 pm


Originally Posted by wheatbeer (Post 29583689)
Ok so basically you think alliances are not needed?

I was referring to why a dedicated, branded, premium lounge is a good idea for some airlines rather than diluting.

Needless to say that alliances are a very good idea for airlines and passengers.

TheWiseOne Apr 9, 18 8:28 pm

I will be going through T3 with a BA First Class ticket in August and thinking of my best strategy. I am going to be in the terminal for about 4 hours from 17:00. At the moment, I am thinking of doing the following:

17:00 - Massage and drinks in GF
18:00 - Dinner in CX lounge (maybe a shower too?)
19:30 - 21:00 - ????

At the moment, I cannot make my mind up on what to do for the final hour and a half. Should I go back to GF and drink loads of JW Blue/LPGC, or should I stay in Cathy/go to Qantas? If I am being honest, I want a calm place without a creche like feel but with good alcohol options.

As for my flight, I am booked on 2A on a 747 to CPT so planning on sleeping most of that.

Smid Apr 9, 18 8:55 pm

You won't get LPGS and I don't think JW blue (never paid attention to the colours, it could be red) in GF. Castenau, for champers...

GF is not the CCR.

absoluy Apr 9, 18 10:00 pm


Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29622200)
You won't get LPGS and I don't think JW blue (never paid attention to the colours, it could be red) in GF. Castenau, for champers...

GF is not the CCR.

While the champagne is Castelnau/Henriot, there is JW Blue available. The whiskey selection is definitely more first class than the champagne.

rossmacd Apr 9, 18 11:54 pm


Originally Posted by TheWiseOne (Post 29622114)
I will be going through T3 with a BA First Class ticket in August and thinking of my best strategy. I am going to be in the terminal for about 4 hours from 17:00. At the moment, I am thinking of doing the following:

17:00 - Massage and drinks in GF
18:00 - Dinner in CX lounge (maybe a shower too?)
19:30 - 21:00 - ????

At the moment, I cannot make my mind up on what to do for the final hour and a half. Should I go back to GF and drink loads of JW Blue/LPGC, or should I stay in Cathy/go to Qantas? If I am being honest, I want a calm place without a creche like feel but with good alcohol options.

As for my flight, I am booked on 2A on a 747 to CPT so planning on sleeping most of that.

I'd just be sticking with the CX F lounge for the full time. And JW Blue is not a great whisky, Diageo just do a great job of marketing it as a premium option. Better champagne in CX F lounge also.

wheatbeer Apr 10, 18 12:54 am


Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29622200)
You won't get LPGS and I don't think JW blue (never paid attention to the colours, it could be red) in GF. Castenau, for champers...

GF is not the CCR.

Yesterday on the Champagne thread someone reported that LPGS was on self pour in GF T3. Probably not for long though.

orbitmic Apr 10, 18 2:10 am


Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 29583724)
Combined alliance lounges are for airlines which don't have enough flights per day to justify a standalone lounge and therefore would otherwise send passengers to a contract lounge - why would CX with 5 premium-heavy wide body flights a day out of LHR, AA with probably 10-15 and BA with (no idea, 40?) flights a day out of T3 go for a combined lounge that doesn't really conform to their global standards?

I don't think that is entirely true. There is a reason why both ST and *A have chosen LHR to have an alliance lounge despite it being used by airlines which have own lounges in smaller European airports, and the same with Oneworld at LAX despite an airline like BA having its own lounge at some US airports where it has smaller operations. The reason is that alliance lounges are also a PR tool which is here to suggest that the alliance means business and use its marketing potential to potential flyers. That is one of the reason why alliances exist in the first place and common lounges are great PR tools to highlight it.

Smid Apr 10, 18 3:52 pm


Originally Posted by wheatbeer (Post 29622819)
Yesterday on the Champagne thread someone reported that LPGS was on self pour in GF T3. Probably not for long though.

Isn't it 130 a bottle versus 30-40?

Costly mistake for BA and whoever put that out. At that priceit will not be long...

KARFA Apr 10, 18 4:12 pm


Originally Posted by Smid (Post 29625565)
Isn't it 130 a bottle versus 30-40?

Costly mistake for BA and whoever put that out. At that priceit will not be long...

There were also report of LPGS out at LGW in GF there. It seems deliberate rather than a mistake.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.