Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis pc
Abuse at Dusseldorf Lounge Advice Needed

Is it ok to take drink from a lounge?

Last edited by busssie; Feb 8, 2015 at 7:56 am Reason: different question
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by busssie
Hi I would like some advice as to what I should do about the following shocking episode, I was flying with British Airways In Club Europe (business class) from Dusseldorf to Lhr I arrived at the airport a couple of hours before the flight so spent some time in the Hugo Junkers Lounge (which has replaced the old Ba lounge) anyway after spending some time in the lounge my flight was ready for boarding, I was a little thirsty so I went over to the fridge and took out a bottle of apple juice and a coke and put them in my hand luggage trolley, within a second of me doing this an extremely rude german worker came running over to me and said PUT THOSE BOTTLES BACK AS YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE BOTTLES OUT OF THE LOUNGE.
now who said I was taking them out I could just have been putting them in the hand luggage to take back to my place where I was sitting in lounge? I actually said to her that I would be drinking them in the lounge and went back to my seat and drunk the apple juice. I then decided to leave the lounge (remember I still had a coke in my hand luggage) as I got up and started to move towards the exit I noticed I was being followed by the previous rude worker and another woman in the same uniform I stopped by the newspapers and had quick flick through the sports section all the while these two lounge workers were watching my every move, so I decide I wanted to speak to the manger at the main desk and complain about how I was being treated (remember all this over a bottle of coke!) so I asked to speak with the manager which turns out was one of the two woman who followed me, I said to her that I was extremely unhappy to be spoken to by her worker in such a rude manner, now instead of listening to what I was saying she was more worried about the bottle of coke that may of found its way out of their lounge! this made me even more angry at the way these Germans treat people, I demanded she give me her name and the name of the worker and I told her I would be making a formal complaint with British Airways over the way I was being treated, she basically said that she could not care less and then she actually made me take the bottle of coke out of my hand luggage and leave it on the desk (I get the feeling had I just tried to exit the lounge with it I would probably have been shot!!) I honestly could not make this up even if I tried, I would like to hear what you think I should do about this??
Next time you're in the lounge, it would be best not to harvest items from the fridge and depositing them directly into your baggage. Irrespective of intent, it looks wily. Lounge staff must witness situations like this daily and so it is understandable that they challenge guests whom they suspect are taking liberties.

Put it behind you and move on.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 8, 2015 at 8:15 am Reason: Insert quote of OP's original post to offer context to discussion
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....after spending some time in the lounge my flight was ready for boarding, I was a little thirsty so I went over to the fridge and took out a bottle of apple juice and a coke and put them in my hand luggage trolley,
Removing items from the Dusseldorf lounge is abuse IMHO. They may be more concerened about the theft of booze
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Putting the drinks in your luggage makes it look as though you were stealing them. I suspect that a better approach would have been to carry the bottles back to your seat.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), QF Gold, EY Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
I don't directly condone taking drinks out of the fridge and into your bag, however I wonder how much the OP should be blamed when their is often lack of signage advising the rules on this.

If someone is seldom a patron of airport lounges, the availability of fridges of complimentary soft drinks could easily be seen as yours to keep without any restriction, i.e. if you were to purchase them from a news agent in the terminal.

Taking a coke and apple juice from the fridge (providing rules weren't clearly available) for outside consumption, for me, do not constituent behaviour which can be described as abusive. An ignorance and subsequent breaking of lounge rules, yes. Although with the OP having be told this is against the rules then continuing this behaviour is questionable.

Last edited by yohoho; Feb 7, 2015 at 8:26 pm
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I have been in that very same lounge, once, flying BA/AA out of DUS, and to my best recollection it is not a large place. It's very likely that the personnel know what flight each lounge visitor is planning to board.

Your flight was ready for boarding, so you went and stashed two bottles in your hand luggage. The lounge personnel knew you were on your way out when you picked up the two bottles.

You were informed that you are not allowed to take bottles away from the lounge, but attempted to do so, anyway.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for you.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:24 pm

I assume you mean small (~500ml) bottles and not larger, shared bottles meant for pouring into glasses etc. If so, I really don't see why people have such an issue with people taking them out of the lounge onto a plane. Who cares if you drink the bottles in the lounge, on the plane or somewhere in between.

I frequently take bottles of water from lounges onto aircraft, because I never find crews give enough water during the flight. Many airlines provide them in the lounges for that purpose and its always irked me that BA don't, even at LHR.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:31 pm

Putting drinks in your trolley as you go to board is rather obvious. Be a bit more subtle and you'll be able to get practically anything out of a lounge that is portable.

However, the lounge staff should be able to deal with this sort of thing appropriately - there would be a difference between polite and rude ...."Excuse me Sir, but soft drinks are only for consumption in the lounge, can I get you a glass?" rather than "Stop thief!"
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I typically expect to be "abused" when I steal things as well...not that I do that.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

question: were you putting them in the bag to take with you out of the lounge?

( your post seems to be trying to make up some scenario rather than what was actually happening - especially given that you stated that your flight was boarding)

If yes and the person said what they did then what is your complaint - you were caught trying to steal the drinks ; there are signs in the lounges ime that clarify this
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:20 pm

I would just put it down to experience and move on.

Your flight was ready for boarding and despite being in the lounge for a couple of hours you suddenly needed 2 drinks?

Instead of just taking them to where you were sitting you put them in your hand luggage?

You then went through some elaborate charade of drinking the juice, flicking through the papers etc even though the flight was boarding?

The lounge isn't some form of take away for travellers and I can see why the staff did what they did.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm very familiar with this lounge, and I'm not entirely surprised by the chain of events.

Now I'll be totally honest that there are occasions when I slip out a small bottle of water with me, but I'm careful not to make it too obvious, since there are signs in many lounges (and certainly all BA lounges) stating that food and drink are for consumption inside the lounge.

And staff do get fed up of people ransacking their lounges. There used to be one gentleman who every Monday morning took several dozen packets of Weight Watchers biscuits from T5 Lounge. That gentleman could never be challenged by the lounge staff due to the contract arrangements. In DUS - given the culture - there would be fewer inhibitions.

So while it would have been better if someone charmingly and discreetly had a gentle word with you - and to that extent I am sympathetic - nevertheless I think you brought it on yourself. Furthermore, by pushing the issue quite mightily in your "will he, won't he" manœuvres during departure, I really don't think you helped matters. Their lounge, their rules.

Nevertheless, welcome to Flyertalk bussie, and welcome to the British Airways forum.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:21 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Germans... They aren't known for their hospitality skills.

Last time I was in the lounge in Dublin my parents home town I was called away by airport security to deal with a situation and asked the lounge agent to keep an eye on my bag.

Anyway I had taken a drink and packet of crisps and they noticed I hasent touched them I had been so busy and distracted.

The lounge attendants insisted to the point of forcing me to take an armful of snacks and drinks with me.

Lotta love for those Irish girls
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Everybody knows you sneak lounge bottles and wrapped foods into your bag early in the visit. Not just before you leave.

Schoolboy error.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
...this made me even more angry at the way these Germans treat people, I demanded she give me her name and the name of the worker...
Interesting comments.

Regardless of the items, you were taking things out of the lounge which you are not supposed to do. Irrespective if you knew this or not, the way you present the comments from the staff in the first instance does not do them much credit, but neither does your subsequent actions.

Now, I wonder what would happen if you had a half-drunk bottle, would they allow you to take this out of the lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.