FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Three op-ups and out (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1652999-three-op-ups-out.html)

morges1 Feb 7, 2015 7:18 am

Three op-ups and out

I learnt of an alarming new enhancement in op-ups last week. Apparently, once one has received three op-ups in a year, that is it, whatever colour of card or level in the gold hierarchy. After three op-ups, you will still be put on the computer's upgrade list, which check-in or managerial staff cannot over-ride, but you will always be put in last place. As a GGLfL, I must say, I had a great year last year for op-ups but now, after three............!

As such, if you are a regular LH flier NEVER, NEVER accept an upgrade from ET to CE - that would count as one of the three. Even last night on ACC-LHR, when I was told CW was full I hoped that I wouldn't get an op-up. As it happened CW was exactly full and I happy slept for the possible 5 hours in 64A.

V10 Feb 7, 2015 7:31 am

From a reliable source?

On balance, I'd see this as a good thing.

BLHD Feb 7, 2015 7:32 am

I'd also like to know who has said this...

DYKWIA Feb 7, 2015 7:35 am

This is similar to the at airport upgrades. If you've used this too often, you get blocked.

MPH1980 Feb 7, 2015 7:41 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 24307726)
This is similar to the at airport upgrades. If you've used this too often, you get blocked.

Difference being - AUPs are voluntary! So you can choose when to exercise your AUP allowances.

Half the time - you won't get a choice about an Op-up and trying to decline it will result in someone saying 'sorry - we've already allocated your old seat'.

Seems a little crazy to put a limit like that to me - but equally it wouldn't surprise me if they are using such a blunt tool.

I'd like to know the source too.

Popinjay Feb 7, 2015 7:45 am

Sounds fair enough - nice for it to get shared around. I cannot imagine being in the lucky enough position that you would want to refuse an upgrade in order to hold out for a "better" one.

paul4040 Feb 7, 2015 7:47 am

More chance for the rest of us then. I have 0 op-ups, though I do travel S/H mainly, and in Club or domestic, rendering most flights inopuppable. (I just invented a word)

Moriarty Feb 7, 2015 7:50 am

Originally Posted by morges1 (Post 24307658)
I learnt of an alarming new enhancement in op-ups last week. Apparently, once one has received three op-ups in a year, that is it, whatever colour of card or level in the gold hierarchy. After three op-ups, you will still be put on the computer's upgrade list, which check-in or managerial staff cannot over-ride, but you will always be put in last place. As a GGLfL, I must say, I had a great year last year for op-ups but now, after three............!

As such, if you are a regular LH flier NEVER, NEVER accept an upgrade from ET to CE - that would count as one of the three. Even last night on ACC-LHR, when I was told CW was full I hoped that I wouldn't get an op-up. As it happened CW was exactly full and I happy slept for the possible 5 hours in 64A.

I've not had a single op-up as GGL but this is a little disconcerting. I can no longer get upgrades at the airport and if op-ups are going to be limited as well, the only benefit I have is the GGL phone line. Having accumulated 1500 TPs after just 3 months into my year I don't anticipate any issues in requalifying but this makes me question whether I should just use Avios for the rest of the year instead of paid tickets.

Crampedin13A Feb 7, 2015 7:54 am

I have never received an op-up but I've been in cabins that are chock full of them. But I never travel in anything but CW,CE or F so I've also never expected one. I think though that is a fair policy to limit them to 3 annually but only on longhaul plus I would have thought GGL's would be excluded from it.

BillyBleach Feb 7, 2015 7:56 am

If it's true this must be a policy change.

Last year I received 6 opups (WT+ to CW) on the BOS route. Mainly the outbound but occasionally the inbound. The year prior I had roughly the same. This year my travel has diversified somewhat but I have already had one BOS trip and been upgraded on the outbound

Tobias-UK Feb 7, 2015 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Moriarty (Post 24307803)
I've not had a single op-up as GGL but this is a little disconcerting. I can no longer get upgrades at the airport and if op-ups are going to be limited as well, the only benefit I have is the GGL phone line. Having accumulated 1500 TPs after just 3 months into my year I don't anticipate any issues in requalifying but this makes me question whether I should just use Avios for the rest of the year instead of paid tickets.

OpUps are not a GGL benefit! You do have your Jokers too.

I've not had an OpUp for a while, I'm usually in First or CE anyhow. However on the rare occasions over the last 3+ years I could only confirm a Club World ticket (A fare just too expensive/sold out, no AUP or Avios upgrades) I was OpUped anyway.

It will be interesting to see how this works out.

silvergirl Feb 7, 2015 8:04 am

Agree with the OP that this would mean declining an ET to CE upgrade. Silly rule and silly if true that they apply the same number (3) regardless of status.

I've had a pretty good run with op-ups the last few years, more than 3 per year (even as a lowly standard gold), BA and other OW airlines. Currently I don't fly BA that much so it's ok, but still a bit of a silly rule. May drive people to use other OW airlines when given the choice.

fripperies Feb 7, 2015 8:14 am

It sounds a bit garbled to me but if there is any substance to it I wouldn't see a problem. The received wisdom on BA is that status doesn't confer entitlement to op-ups, if you're going to be aggrieved at not receiving an op-up you've misread the way it works, and if you want to fly in a particular cabin you need to book it. I don't see how what OP reports changes any of that.

Popinjay Feb 7, 2015 8:16 am

Does the often quoted flyer talk mantra of "book into the class you want to travel" only count for certain status holders? Surely dangling a carrot in front of less frequent flyers could potentially lead to more revenue for BA?

Can I help you Feb 7, 2015 8:18 am

I don't fully understand how the new system works but what the OP says makes sense from what I have read.