Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Three op-ups and out

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
The only opup I've ever received is when my flight during the 2010 snowpacalypse was canceled, and I was rebooked 3 or 4 days later in F and to a different city in the US (ORD instead of PHX). Otherwise since 2007, I've always ended up in the cabin paid for, which is always CW longhaul and a mix of CE and ET short haul.

So for me, anything above 0% would be an improvement.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
So let me get this right ...

So the CIV score IMO now is pointless ...

Let us visualize...

Overbooked flight , lets say a LHR-SIN , last 1 seat from CW to F ... we have two candidates for the last remaining seat..

Bloke A ... a GGL with a CIV score of 97 but has had recently had 3 upgrades, 2 in LH .. 1 in SH

Bloke B ... a Bronze member with a CIV score of 9 with no upgrades he only just qualified .

Bronze gets the seat , the GGL who has spent tens of thousands of pounds with BA does not .. ?

This is madness ! How does this 3 strikes .. your out ( of luck ) help Loyalty towards BA ??

( I add I am only a lowly gold with a average CIV score .. just using this hypothetical situation to prove my point )

Last edited by psollitt; Feb 7, 2015 at 5:54 pm Reason: spelling and adding a bit more rant ..
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I can see where BA is coming from but this does seem to be rather a blunt instrument
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by psollitt

This is madness ! How does this 3 strikes .. your out ( of luck ) help Loyalty towards BA ??
It is only madness if you start with a sense of entitlement to being upgraded

When , as a gold member, has BA ever said that getting involuntary upgrades is a benefit of the status?

So what if the gold member doesn't get an upgrade from London to Singapore - if he wanted to sit in the higher cabin he could have booked it or used avios to upgrade to it
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Because the GGL already is loyal with his 150 sectors a year. That's the point. The Bronze isn't - yet.

People who think FFPs are about giving wonderful gifts to say thanks for your business (indeed, business that may not even be your choice to give) are missing what they're about. FFPs are about encouraging extra spend and very little else. Faceless corporations like BA aren't altruistic; it consistently surprises me how we have many posters we have who are apparently key business decision makers in real life who cannot see this.

Sure, BA "rewards" me by letting me chill in a nice lounge etc, but all the Hilliergrams I get are actually trying to push me to spend more with them. The end.

I sit on zero op ups and I don't expect to get any because I usually purchase the cabin I wanted/could afford in the first place. BA knows I can't afford F or CW regularly without blowing stacks of Avios.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:18 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:10 pm
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by angatol
Quote:

Originally Posted by BA

Space Available and Operational requests are prioritised based on:
• Executive Club status (CIV score)
• Fare class
• Agency/industry discounts
• Date of booking

Doesn't say there that it's based on a high CIV.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
if he wanted to sit in the higher cabin he could have booked it or used avios to upgrade to it
I am just waiting to see BA do the same as KLM /af did to drastically reduce which fare classes you can upgrade from ..
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:35 pm

I am just waiting to see BA do the same as KLM /af did to drastically reduce which fare classes you can upgrade from ..
Exactly the opposite is happening in April; there will be more fare classes you can upgrade from.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by paul4040
Because the GGL already is loyal with his 150 sectors a year.
I make it 15.

A Bronze might need 60.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Originally Posted by paul4040
Because the GGL already is loyal with his 150 sectors a year. That's the point. The Bronze isn't - yet.
True, but that argument works both ways, i.e. the GGL who flies 40 sectors a year in WT+ due to corporate travel policy has lost some of the impetus to remain loyal to BA.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by TheBaps
True, but that argument works both ways, i.e. the GGL who flies 40 sectors a year in WT+ due to corporate travel policy has lost some of the impetus to remain loyal to BA.
Then this person needs to be pointed to the part in the benefits list the show that free upgrades is a benefit

With a system of prioritisation where certain people will be at or close to top of list every time, then this person would get a disproportionately high number of involuntary upgrades on oversold flights compared to others

if top of the list every time, then will get upgraded every time that there is an oversell - this hardly seems logical to me

By having a limit it would help take away the expectation of getting free upgrades and the person who buys 40 sectors in WT+ will travel in WT+ most of the time and know that if wants to travel in business class will need to purchase it

Anyone that bases their "loyalty" to a programme based around benefits that the programme has never claimed to have is setting themself up for disappointment
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:07 pm

Anyone that bases their "loyalty" to a programme based around benefits that the programme has never claimed to
have is setting themself up for disappointment
"No thanks, I'm going to have to decline that OpUp because it's not a published benefit"

(Most) people care about what actually happens, not what the T&Cs said should happen.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
"No thanks, I'm going to have to decline that OpUp because it's not a published benefit"

(Most) people care about what actually happens, not what the T&Cs said should happen.
That's not what I said at all - I said nothing about declining an involuntary upgrade - I stated that someone who bases decisions on programmes based on benefits that are not listed is setting themself up for disappointment

How do you twist that into declining an upgrade huh?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not what I said at all - I said nothing about declining an involuntary upgrade - I stated that someone who bases decisions on programmes based on benefits that are not listed is setting themself up for disappointment
And a business that constantly ratchets back on the number of extras it provides to its customers is also setting itself up for disappointment.

Perhaps BA really can compete on price alone against U2, EK and the Americans. We will see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.