Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Three op-ups and out

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I am a GCH that travels predominantly in Y long haul except to the West coast (from LHR) and get a fair shout at OpUps I would say. In fact, on my last two trips I have had one way upgraded to WTP. First was IAD to LHR second was LHR to BOS. I would say LH I get an u/g roughly every 4-5 sectors. I do travel alone and do have high price tag tickets (the Y is policy not amount driven).

I also do a fair bit or EU SH and have only been u/g twice in 8 years and not at all recently. However, I do manage my own budget on EU flights and have travelled at least 50% in CE so maybe they realise I don't need tempting and will pay for CE.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by jamie9456
Has anyone actually been able to work out BA OpUps policy yet?

How much % wise does status count for for example?
The only formula I have figured out is that my opup percentage over the past 9 years is exactly zero. Though I usually fly paid CW, CE, or F, so there's not a high opportunity for upgrades anyway.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I appreciate that I feel for some of those people you read on here- GCHs/GGLs and rarely get upgraded. Now that's probably because of the route they are on with less full loads, I get that.

But it is hard to hear when along the same lines you hear of people with 0 status, blues/bronzes getting UGs above these guys.

As a GGL/GCH you've shown tremendous loyalty to BA and the OW alliance through your continued purchasing of their fares. In that case, in my opinion, you should therefore always be entitled to a more premium seat over someone who may be further down the pecking order.
But isn't that just DYKWIA put into many more words? There is always danger for an airline that encourages anyone to believe that they are entitled to freebie upgrades.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AC*SE
Status based freebies are what have so eroded the premium product on US carriers. No one in their right mind pays F, or even A fares to fly up front on AA (except the 3-class transcons), when you know full well that Y-ups and status upgrades will get you in front of the curtain.
That it doesn't make sense to pay for F on US carriers is true. Out of 5 domestic flights on American Airlines in the last month on an economy class ticket, in all 5 I was upgraded to F, as is the standard benefit for AA ExPlats, subject to availability.

However to _requalify_ for something where you can expect to be upgraded, you are either going to have to do a shedload of flying in Y (really, really a lot) or you are going to have to cough up for paid J/F tickets for most of your flying.

Edit: Here's the thread for you on who buys first class seats on American Airlines-
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri......-seats.html

Last edited by creampuff; Dec 10, 2015 at 3:14 am
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a GGL/GCH you've shown tremendous loyalty to BA and the OW alliance through your continued purchasing of their fares. In that case, in my opinion, you should therefore always be entitled to a more premium seat over someone who may be further down the pecking order.
You didn't show enough loyalty to buy an F fare
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Calchas
As a GGL/GCH you've shown tremendous loyalty to BA and the OW alliance through your continued purchasing of their fares.
You didn't show enough loyalty to buy an F fare
In jamie9456's case, the Gold card didn't even come from any loyalty of his to BA, nor from any purchasing by him of BA fares: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post24396566. It seems that he would only be Silver in his own right. Nevertheless, though, he was wondering whether he's entitled to GGL benefits.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond
Got upgraded last Sunday evening from DFW to LHR from Club World to First, seat 1K. Very nice and if I only get 3 of these a year, you won't find me complaining!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I apologize as I don't have the heart (or time) to read the previous 28 pages but if the algorithm does take into consideration previous op-ups before determining whether to give another, should I be feeling "disappointed" that my last 2 LON-AMS flights have been op-up'd to CE just before I start my global travel again? Or should I just be happy that it's December and the algorithm will kick in again from January.....?

On a separate note, I really wish for intra EU travel that they'd tell you prior to the gate that you have an op-up. They've got enough contact details on us. Every time I've had an intra EU op-up, I've always just eaten a hearty meal at the airport.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by silonic
On a separate note, I really wish for intra EU travel that they'd tell you prior to the gate that you have an op-up. They've got enough contact details on us. Every time I've had an intra EU op-up, I've always just eaten a hearty meal at the airport.
If you're using the BA Exec mobile app, it is worth refreshing your boarding pass periodically post OLCI; I've usually found out this way that I've been upgraded long before any lounge/gate notification from a scan.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by silonic
My most recent Op Up, I checked in at the desk and got 11F

I made my way up to departures, as check in closed my BA App should I was in Seat 3F

Sure enough I got the beep as I went through the gate and there was a new boarding pass waiting for me.

Not sure why they did not call the customers they had boarding passes for prior to boarding but hey ho, it works

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.