Wiki Posts
Search

Do 'couples' op-ups ever happen?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Flying Club

My other half and I have a Valentines getaway to JFK booked next week, and we've been consistently shown POUG rates for both legs - potentially signifying high availability for WT+ (we're discount Y).

Before anyone attempts to jump on me saying that I'm expecting an op-up, I'm not - this question is partially practical and partially out of curiosity.

Now, I obviously don't expect to be anywhere close to the top of the op-up list, even if I was travelling solo due to being a lowly Blue, but are op-ups ever done in pairs, or does the BA system always pluck two solo travellers (if two slots even exist)?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Yes, my wife or son and I have received quite a few OpUps as a pair.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgraded with a travelling companion on plenty of occasions.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:31 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CraigWatson
are op-ups ever done in pairs [...]?
Yes. My most recent op-up was a year or two ago, so I can't rule out the possibility that things have changed, but it was for both me and Mrs IMH from WT+ to CW.

You are, of course, absolutely right not to expect an upgrade. Ever.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Can't say about your particular route, but it did happen to me a few years ago (albeit on a shorter sector, LHR-LCA).

We connected down from Glasgow, and when we got to the gate the little machine beeped ................ and they moved all 4 of us from ET to CE. This was on a regular old 767, but it was gratefully accepted by the whole family !
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold
It happens! On my first ever BA flight we went from IAD-LHR in WT. When we checked in for the return we saw we had been upgraded to WT+ and then when we got to the airport had a problem at the kiosk printing our boarding passes so we had to go to the counter only to find we'd been upgraded to CW.

My partner and I upgraded WT+ to CW coming back from MIA a few years ago - and we were both Blues.

Programs: Varies
Yes, we were upgraded from CW to First on a transatlantic reward flight, as we were boarding. That was some time ago though.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:37 pm

I've had it as a couple from WT to CW, WT+ to CW and ET to CE. Both of us were either Golds, or one Gold one Silver.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium

Absolutely! Happened to me and my spouse twice over the Christmas Holidays. Perhaps my BA Gold status helped.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
It can be even better than that. The best op-up I've ever had was for 4 of us (all family) travelling together.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The missus and I had two WT+ to CW a few years ago. GRU-LHR then a couple of weeks later LHR-YVR.

Why us? Because we're nice people of course.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Flying Club
Gah, now all of you have got my hopes up!

Hoping that frugalness (see my other thread on POUG fees) pays off
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:56 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CraigWatson
Gah, now all of you have got my hopes up!

Hoping [...]
Stop that! At once. People have told you that it can happen, not that you should start hoping it will. It probably won't.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Last time I was flying MEL-LHR two friends were in CW, the husband was offered an OpUp to F which he declined. Sadly I was in WT+ or he may have sent it my way.

Flying LHR-ORD with four mates, three of us were OpUp'd to CW but the only pair on the same PNR remained in WT+, we managed to get them in the lounge but they were disappointed to say the least!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.