Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do 'couples' op-ups ever happen?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by IMH
Stop that! At once. People have told you that it can happen, not that you should start hoping it will. It probably won't.
Unfortunately, I think you are probably realistic. Yes couples and groups do get OpUps, but single travellers are significantly more likely to get them overall. Furthermore, the larger the group, the more likely someone books a special meal / vegetarian and that kills off the upgrade chance, especially from London.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by IMH
Stop that! At once. People have told you that it can happen, not that you should start hoping it will. It probably won't.
On a packed SFO-LHR flight I saw several people be presented with new BPs at the gate as they boarded. Lucky beggars!

To add insult to injury, my Dad was op-upped from CW to F on an LHR-SIN flight in the late 90s. He's rubbed it in my face ever since

I jest of course, I guess I always hope, but I never expect - I can dream, right?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Once, my partner and I were both upgraded from CW to F on a LAX to LHR flight. We were paged to the reception desk at the lounge and were given new boarding passes. It was quiet a few years ago and sadly this has never happened again.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Mostly my op-ups have been as a solo traveller but yes, we were upgraded as a couple (both silver at the time) from WT+ to CW from EWR-LHR in December. And into the two rearmost middle seats on a 777 so very private and ideal for a couple!

Once before we were upgraded WT+ to CW when non status but I think that was service recovery after a cancellation and I guess two loads of passengers having been combined.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
My traveling companion and I were upgraded from WTP to CW on a JFK-LHR flight last year, I was silver and he was blue.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Both op-upped to F from CW last month. I think IAD - LHR is a good route for this.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had such an op-up on BA, BD, AF and LH. So definitely happen.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Had a couple of op-ups in recent years with travelling companions, though far more as a lone traveller (WT+ to CW and more often CW to F).

The greatest was in the late nineties when travelling LHR-MEX with Mrs O. Arrived to checkin with the cheapest of Y tickets, to find we might be bumped off the flight. A little blagging from me and some more concrete work by the checkin agent got us onto the flight in J. Overjoyed. At the gate, the machine beeped when my BP was scanned and I could see someone else in my seat on the screen. Gutted, I awaited the bad news of being sent to the back of the bus (though at least still on the flight). The agent said nothing, scanned Mrs O's BP and said quietly the wonderful words, "you're both going First today". This was before flatbeds in CW, they were only in F, and remains the most fabulous upgrade I've ever had.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:17 pm

Mrs and daughter P were upgraded from WT+ to CW last year - on the very same route your are taking. Mrs P is silver with daughter P blue - the initial booking was in Y but I paid the POUG to WT+ for them! Turned out to be a good decision. Good luck!

Last edited by passy777; Feb 5, 2015 at 4:23 pm
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Yes, from Y to J a few times.....
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Yep, had WT+ to CW twice and WT to WT+ once, and my parents just had CW to F.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
Originally Posted by 000
It can be even better than that. The best op-up I've ever had was for 4 of us (all family) travelling together.
Our family of 5 received an op-up WTP to CW (upper deck!) flying LHR-SFO around Xmas a few years back. Even more amazing was that we were on an Avios booking (though I think we were op-upped because we had a rerouting that somehow ended up putting us in a revenue fare bucket).
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Not on BA, but on a short-haul LH flight, my wife and I were upgraded at the gate. On top of that, they were redemption tickets and the gate agent seemed shocked. Made a remark that the flight must have been low on upgradeable passengers. This was many years ago.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
The friend to whom I gave one of my Silver cards was upgraded from WTP to CW from LAS to LHR as were the other two who were on the same booking.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Happens fairly regularly to me as a solo traveller, never with SWMBO (to her annoyance) nor when we have been with the children. Given that it would be five of us I would never expect it!

So I have never experienced a couple upgrade, despite flying on hols and breaks with SWMBO. Now given that most of those are booked in CE for s/h or F for l/h I am not surprised!

However for work, IME ET to CE is very very very rare, CW to F is rare but has happened a couple of times. But the highest chance IME (around 3 in 4 flights) is from WT+ to CW.

The only thing that I always feel (very mildly of course) frustrated about is that I won't get the extra tier points. And that is because at the current rate of progress I won't make it to lifetime gold until I am about 72!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.