Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reward flight cancelled by BA/AA and rebooked in lower class...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

We have booked two reward seats to fly JFK to Totonto,non August using BA Miles on an AA flight. We redeemed 9000 BA Miles per seat for Business Class.

I logged onto BAEC today regarding another flight...and was surprised to see highlighted in red that the above flight had been cancelled. Clicking on it, I saw we had also been rebooked onto another flight...checking the details I see it is exactly the same flight number, date & time...only the seats are now in Economy.

We have not received an email from BA to advise the flight cancellation, nor been credited any BA miles for the difference in reward class.

Does anyone have any experience like this, or can offer advice on whether this is permitted in BA's t&c's for reward seats? (I've looked on their website but can't find any info)

Many thanks
Sharon
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Sharon

AA have changed equipment for this route quite a lot recently, to fly a single-cabin plane. AFAIK, you should be able to have BA/AA move you to an alternative flight on or around the same day that has AA "First" for no charge, but I would note two things.

Firstly I think you should have been charged 13,500 miles as AA have no biz class, only "First", and BA usually charge accordingly.

Secondly it's a very short flight and AA domestic short-hop First is pretty mediocre. It's not worth burning the extra miles really, especially if you or another traveller have any OneWorld status to allow you to select AA's Main Cabin Extra seats with a bit more legroom, get early boarding etc.

As an aside, if you need to rebook, then depending on where you are in NY and are going in Toronto, Porter is a really good choice, flying from Newark to Toronto's very convenient downtown Billy Bishop airport, and I think they have a sale on.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by frb98mf
Firstly I think you should have been charged 13,500 miles as AA have no biz class, only "First", and BA usually charge accordingly.
This is incorrect. It is only on flights within the USA where the premium cabin is called 1st rather than business on the aeroplanes with 2 cabins

For all international services ( which USA-Canada is ) the premium cabin on aeroplanes with 2 classes of service is sold as business class

The OP was correctly charged as per business class

To the OP ; if rebooked in economy class then you can get a refund of Avios or cancel without penalty - there is a reasonable chance that there is no business class on the new flight
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
What frb98mf says is correct. Business on this route is probably not worth it.

I did New York La Guardia to Toronto in business on AA last year (as part of a transatlantic flight).

The seats are the same as economy (my plane was a regional jet). The service comprised a pre-departure beverage and a drink and nibbles during the flight.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:42 am

Same thing happened to my booking, same route.

After speaking to BA, all the planes from March-ish have been changed to a single service cabin on this route.

You can ask for the difference in avois to be credited back to you, there was a thread a while back about the exact same situation. You can also cancel the flight without penalties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.