The 2015 BA Champagne and Wine Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Petrus
It is depressing to find this thread sees posting action less than once week. Clearly, the crowd has changed and so have the libations.
Mostly the latter I'm afraid. I am dying to be able to report something nice, but at the moment, I prefer not to depress the rest of you!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by GodAtum
travelling in F, if i ask for wine tasting, will the CC know what i mean? ie, having a wine match for each course?
The wine pairings are in the menu in F. I was offered them automatically and agreed to have each paired wine. (I think the only course without a wine pairing is the consommé on the A380 tasting menu)

I am a wine ignoramus, so please don't ask for tasting notes (!) but I do know what I like. The wines selected went well with the courses - the dessert wine was outstanding.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Rose champers in F from DXB

OK, I know this is a long shot but I have faith in this forum. Back in November I flew DXB-LHR in F and they had a rose champagne offer which was much appreciated by my lady friend. We were talking about it last night but neither of us can remember the brand. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, TIA.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: Meh
First time in GF in a while and for the first time in years I had a beer in there, such was the wine selection. Even the beer selection was crap. Come on BA!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by stevie
First time in GF in a while and for the first time in years I had a beer in there, such was the wine selection. Even the beer selection was crap. Come on BA!
Oh dear. It can happen at a friends place (who doesn't have a clue about wine and serves cheap acidic white) and you go for beer. But in an allegedly "First Class" lounge...
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
http://www.taittinger.com/assets/pdf/en/datasheets/Taittinger_Prestige-rose.pdf

This is the usual F rose champagne.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
http://www.taittinger.com/assets/pdf/en/datasheets/Taittinger_Prestige-rose.pdf

This is the usual F rose champagne.
Thanks, but it definitely was not the Taittenger. From what we can remember it had a black label with pink writing on and the name began with "B"...
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I believe BA F occasionally has Billecart-Salmon Rose? It's a pretty decent Rose wine and could fit the bill? The label and text colour is inverted from what you mentioned though...

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Mar 27, 2015 at 4:59 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I believe BA F occasionally has Billecart-Salon Rose? It's a pretty decent Rose wine and could fit the bill? The label and text colour is inverted from what you mentioned though...
Sounds like a nice alternative.

Would like to taste it on a future flight.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:57 am

I believe BA F occasionally has Billecart-Salon Rose? It's a pretty decent Rose wine and could fit the bill? The label and text colour is inverted from what you mentioned though...
Thanks, but I don't think so only because that is a brand I now and the one in question was definitely new to me.

Last edited by johnaalex; Mar 27, 2015 at 4:23 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I've noticed in my last dozen or so visits to GF in T5 that Castelnau is conspicuous by its absence, having been replaced by standard Taittinger, alongside the Prelude. Is this a permanent change? Has this been mentioned somewhere upthread?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I believe BA F occasionally has Billecart-Salon Rose?
Billecart-Salmon. Salon is an entirely different (and for that matter vastly preferable) kettle of fish!

But as you point out, the Billecart rose always has a pink label. On black label, I guess some old Lanson rose bottles used to have a black label with pink around the black (just like the normal label but pink replaced the gold), but I think that this has been discontinued years ago. Occasionally, some Moet&Chandon special editions also have black labels including for rose but that is not a pleasant Champagne so should probably be excluded!

If I were the OP, I would just write to BA and ask - if you give the flight date and number they should be able to trace the menu.

EDIT: just saw the OP found his answer!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Billecart-Salmon. Salon is an entirely different (and for that matter vastly preferable) kettle of fish!

But as you point out, the Billecart rose always has a pink label. On black label, I guess some old Lanson rose bottles used to have a black label with pink around the black (just like the normal label but pink replaced the gold), but I think that this has been discontinued years ago. Occasionally, some Moet&Chandon special editions also have black labels including for rose but that is not a pleasant Champagne so should probably be excluded!

If I were the OP, I would just write to BA and ask - if you give the flight date and number they should be able to trace the menu.

EDIT: just saw the OP found his answer!
Cracked it - I have found the answer here - http://thechampagneaddict.com/tag/ch...michel-forget/. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Cracked it - I have found the answer here - http://thechampagneaddict.com/tag/ch...michel-forget/. Thanks for all the help guys.
If only it were Billecart-salmon, the stuff is fantastic! You can occasionally find half bottles of it which is a dream come true.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Hah, typo. You're going to have to fly JAL to get Salon, sadly

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.