Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2015 BA Champagne and Wine Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
99% of Fernet consumption happens within a 50 mile radius of Wenceslav Square in Prague. Just not Branca, most typically Stock. Of course Argentina does indeed consume a lot; strangely enough it's very popular in SF, too
More Fernet is consumed in the SF Bay Area than the rest of the USA combined. It was a restaurant / wine industry thing. Now it's a hipster thing.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:47 am

Cellars in the Sky Awards 2014

Well this will have SFO 777 choking on his taco......

The winners of Business Traveller's Cellars in the Sky Awards 2014 have been announced, with British Airways scooping four Gold Medals.

The annual awards, which recognise the best business and first class wines served by airlines worldwide, were presented this evening at the Hilton London Paddington by Charles Metcalfe, co-chairman of the International Wine Challenge.

British Airways was the biggest winner, taking the coveted Gold Medal for Best Overall Wine Cellar. It was also placed first in the Best Business Class Cellar, Best First Class Red and Best Business Class White categories.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/cellars-2014
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:42 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Spadge55
British Airways was the biggest winner, taking the coveted Gold Medal for Best Overall Wine Cellar. It was also placed first in the Best Business Class Cellar, Best First Class Red and Best Business Class White categories.
[/I][/B]

http://www.businesstraveller.com/cellars-2014
Really ?

With these offerings?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:01 pm

And not to mention the wine on offer in Galleries First. PATHETIC.

The only quaffable libation is the Prelude. Such a shame.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:07 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
You should try the white they're serving in ET at the moment. It's easily the most revolting thing I've drunk in a long time, 11.5% ABV of odd-coloured crapness that tastes like it owes its existence more to an ICI factory than a vineyard.

It makes Monopole look good in comparison.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:43 pm

Well don't we all love a little bit of acidic sulfur in the morning!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Petrus
And not to mention the wine on offer in Galleries First. PATHETIC.

The only quaffable libation is the Prelude. Such a shame.
It is indeed ghastly. I just arrived from Helsinki and while Finnair is not particularly commandable on wine usually, even their Premium lounge white is better than everything I have seen in GF since the start of the year!

By the way, one thing puzzles me on the Business traveller awards thinggie. They give an award to BA for J white on a bottle of Condrieu. Do they really offer that?? I have certainly never had the pleasure of being offered Condrieu by BA in CW (ever). If it is true, I shall of course live in hope...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by V10
You should try the white they're serving in ET at the moment.
I'm not sure if you have noticed but what they serve in ET is, to make things worse, what they serve in CE! The wine is the same for both classes, and frankly, it has no redeeming feature whatsoever...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Sad but true regarding short haul wines.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm not sure if you have noticed but what they serve in ET is, to make things worse, what they serve in CE! The wine is the same for both classes, and frankly, it has no redeeming feature whatsoever...
Is that a new thing? I've never come across this before, but I've only had the occasional trip to CE ever since they brought in Monopole.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I have just come off a CWLCY flight. 3 out of 4 wines on the menu were unavailable and replaced by a selection which might appear in the bargain bin at Lidl. Pouilly fume was replaced by a cheap French SB, there was a cheap Californian Chardonnay and rather than the menu St Emililion there was a cooking Bordeaux. Only the Chianti was the wine on the menu.

This leads me to wonder whether the award given to BA recently was for wine they actually serve or the better promised menu selection.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Is that a new thing? I've never come across this before, but I've only had the occasional trip to CE ever since they brought in Monopole.
Not really, apart from the Champagne I think the regular wine has been the same as economy on short haul for years (and vile it is too!!)
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
I'm a fellow IWC judge so if people are interested I can ask Charles when I next see him about these awards. Are people saying that the winning wines never actually turn up on flights?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
I'm a fellow IWC judge so if people are interested I can ask Charles when I next see him about these awards. Are people saying that the winning wines never actually turn up on flights?
Hello! Would love to hear about your experience.

If you are referring to my post about the Condrieu, I genuinely meant it as a question. I certainly never had it in CW (of which I take at least 20 flights a year if not more) but I do realise that menus may vary by route and there are multiple menu rotations each month too (I think two menus per month per city pair) so I was genuinely curious whether I had just been unlucky (I love a good Condrieu and still think of it as the quintessential example of subliming viognier) or if indeed, it was if not a ghost wine (I can't imagine them completely lying about it), at least an anecdotal wine that merely turned up on a number of flights.

If you meant Land-of-Miles's comments, I can confirm that it is frequent that some wines on the menu are not available on board although I would say that 3 out of 4 is actually really unusual in my experience. I hope it was a pure unlucky coincidence rather than a trend.

I presume each airline chooses which of the wines it offers in a given travel class it enters in the competition? If so, I suppose it might be worth asking them to specify what proportion of flights it was actually available on for the judges' information?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:51 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I thought it was probably the case but wasn't 100% sure.

If I'm in CE it's either the monopole (yes, I know...) or a G&T.

I will be avoiding the white in future as I can see no other justification for it being offered other than being the lowest cost item in the supplier's catalogue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.