Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is the next BA sale?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've had a look at the WTP pricing, which isn't amazing but still relatively good. Looking at LGW-JFK, the best WTP I can see in the Sale period works out at £1396 for two, so £698 each, compared to £834 for single passengers. If you are able to GUF that into CW then it's a good £600 worth of benefits. If you book CW back rather than WTP (the fares appears to be combinable) then for around £1500 total + GUF + difference in airline surcharge, it could be CW out, First back.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
I also managed to find JFK fares but from LHR, if LGW doesn’t suit. (£698 each, 2 pax needed). The outbound prices up at roughly £460 and the inbound that comes in at roughly £240 in mid September.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I presume these still have the 24 hour cancellation?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Solo travellers penalised again.

Why can’t I fly to NYC for £1,010 instead of the £1,500 fares I'm seeing for a single traveller next month?

If BA want to stop their corporate and business ravellers taking up cheap sale deals then put some fare conditions in that make it less appealing for them - must have a Saturday and Sunday stay for example. Or minimum 4 or 5 night stay plus Saturday night etc.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:26 am

Well this sale is no help to me at all.

Flights on american have also gone down by another £40. Its looking very likely i will go with them or fly with united to NYC
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If BA want to stop their corporate and business travellers taking up cheap sale deals then put some fare conditions in that make it less appealing for them - must have a Saturday and Sunday stay for example. Or minimum 4 or 5 night stay plus Saturday night etc.
Revenue Management are clearly a bit thick if they think "2 for 1" sales are a good way to stop business travellers. I've often travelled for business on the same flight as my colleague!

I've got some much better ideas:
  • Passengers on these fares must travel in shorts (to be checked during flight by CSD based on iPad notification)
  • Only flip-flops and trainers are allowed, no other footwear (including in checked baggage)
  • Laptop usage not permitted during flight unless watching full-screen videos
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
lol

except - I don't wear shorts nor flip flops (which should be banned everywhere other than the beach or pool side).

I do wear trainers though.

Maybe I should qualify for a part discount?
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I had an existing booking from LHR - JFK in J booked on BA metal but ticketed by AA during the sale period. I called AA this morning to see if I could upgrade from J to F and the answer was yes, £332 in total to upgrade both the outbound and inbound, I didn't waste too much time deciding to accept
alex67500 and armouredant like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Mike P
I had an existing booking from LHR - JFK in J booked on BA metal but ticketed by AA during the sale period. I called AA this morning to see if I could upgrade from J to F and the answer was yes, £332 in total to upgrade both the outbound and inbound, I didn't waste too much time deciding to accept
At 2.37GBP/TP it's even a good deal by the TP Run thread standards
Mike P likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
For those struggling to find I class on their preferred dates and times in this sale, I suggest you try a US point of Sale (e.g. expedia.com - not .co.uk), where there are a significantly larger amount of I class seats available at the sale prices.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:57 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

If BA want to stop their corporate and business ravellers taking up cheap sale deals then put some fare conditions in that make it less appealing for them - must have a Saturday and Sunday stay for example. Or minimum 4 or 5 night stay plus Saturday night etc.
This already happens.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:10 am

Dear All,
I've been reading the forum for ages and learnt a lot but this is my first post.

Would love to take advantage of this deal either New York, Washington or Philadelphia first one way and business for the return to celebrate a couple of significant birthday/anniversaries.
However the big stumbling block is there are 3 of us, my husband, me and my sister, and this only works for multiple of 2.

Can anyone suggest what would be the best way of getting the 3rd ticket?
We only travel for leisure and have only been business once- it was fab- so only have 130K avios (thanks to advice from the forum & black ba credit card) in a household account plus an extra 30k in my sisters account.
We don't have any status as we are are lowly blues; Hubbie has a 2 for 1 voucher too

Looked at reward flights but haven't got enough in one account to do the first/business return booking so would have to be 2 one ways from the 2 accounts
I'd also be worried about the flights for the 3 of us not having the same reference.

Buying an additional ticket at an extra £3k (for travel this weekend) isn't an option either: we were even wondering what the situation would be at buying 4 tickets but only 3 of us travel?
It seems on paper to work out cheaper.
If we did this, would there be a problem at check in for instance?
Would we also be able to part pay in avios to bring the cost of the 4 tickets down?

Sorry for so many questions: we totally appreciate that there may not be a way to do this but saw the offer and thought if we can get it to work, then we'd go for it!

Thanks in advance for any help: apologies if this would be better placed in the 'help find me a good fare' beta post too

Julie
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Stoneleigh17
Dear All,
I've been reading the forum for ages and learnt a lot but this is my first post.

Would love to take advantage of this deal either New York, Washington or Philadelphia first one way and business for the return to celebrate a couple of significant birthday/anniversaries.
However the big stumbling block is there are 3 of us, my husband, me and my sister, and this only works for multiple of 2.

Can anyone suggest what would be the best way of getting the 3rd ticket?
We only travel for leisure and have only been business once- it was fab- so only have 130K avios (thanks to advice from the forum & black ba credit card) in a household account plus an extra 30k in my sisters account.
We don't have any status as we are are lowly blues; Hubbie has a 2 for 1 voucher too

Looked at reward flights but haven't got enough in one account to do the first/business return booking so would have to be 2 one ways from the 2 accounts
I'd also be worried about the flights for the 3 of us not having the same reference.

Buying an additional ticket at an extra £3k (for travel this weekend) isn't an option either: we were even wondering what the situation would be at buying 4 tickets but only 3 of us travel?
It seems on paper to work out cheaper.
If we did this, would there be a problem at check in for instance?
Would we also be able to part pay in avios to bring the cost of the 4 tickets down?

Sorry for so many questions: we totally appreciate that there may not be a way to do this but saw the offer and thought if we can get it to work, then we'd go for it!

Thanks in advance for any help: apologies if this would be better placed in the 'help find me a good fare' beta post too

Julie
I have no idea about the pricing you have in mind, but If you really, really have to buy a 4th ticket, wouldn't be better if it could be allocated to a travelling person... a sister's friend maybe? At least it will not be wasted... I have no direct info regarding what could happen if the travel companion doesn't show up at check-in for these "companion" fares, but I don't rule out the chance of troubles.

About the rest, you can lower the price with avios, even if it's not the best use of them.

Out of curiosity, why do you worry about the flights for the 3 of you not having the same reference?

P.S.
Welcome to the BAEC forum
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by ab007
Last week we booked a flight & car package to Miami, WT+ both ways but UUA'd to CW on the outbound. You can imagine my frustration when this popped up today and I saw Miami on our dates is covered.

Even though it's 2 weeks away I thought it might be worth seeing if anything can be done and having just been on the phone with a very helpful BAEC agent I can't believe our luck, for less than £300pp I've had my 50k avios back and we're now outbound in First and back in CW
I tried the same for my LHR-DXB flights for Sept. I originally booked CW+WTP and then UUA to F+CW for a total cost of about 2500 back in December last year.

A new First both ways booking costs circa 3k but when I enquired about changing my booking was told it would be £1015, mainly due to 300 per person change fees...
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:21 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lefly
I have no idea about the pricing you have in mind, but If you really, really have to buy a 4th ticket, wouldn't be better if it could be allocated to a travelling person... a sister's friend maybe? At least it will not be wasted... I have no direct info regarding what could happen if the travel companion doesn't show up at check-in for these "companion" fares, but I don't rule out the chance of troubles.

About the rest, you can lower the price with avios, even if it's not the best use of them.

Out of curiosity, why do you worry about the flights for the 3 of you not having the same reference?

P.S.
Welcome to the BAEC forum
Hi Lefly
Thanks for the welcome and the response
With the booking reference, I suppose it was the thought that my sister might end up getting bumped or downgraded if we weren't travelling on one booking.
I suppose thats my complete inexperience showing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.