Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is the next BA sale?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
Originally Posted by Lawro
Did you manage to actually book it at £1700? Can't seem to get it lower than £2200. Literally watched it jump in front of my eyes, saw it at £1700 and then it was gone by the time I'd refreshed the page!

Lucky I wasn't actually trying to book it
Yes, I did. Ended up being £1735 when the credit card fee was added in. There was a momentary glitch when I was paying and I thought it was a phantom fare, but the second try went through.

Last edited by chance88088; May 4, 2017 at 11:13 am
Old May 4, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Fortunately for us, Ireland is a different market with different priorities
Very true, but historically, premium sales for UK and Ireland are typically started synchronically.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PETER01
I think at £1180 that's not a bad deal overall for a J return flight as an advance purchase fare. How much lower do you think it would go if there was a sale?

My own view is sometimes when you see something is to just book it there and then. Perhaps there will be an ex-EU sale but who knows!
Agreed, my problem isn't the original fare as i was planning to book it this month, its the impact that this sale seems to have had on the routing options on the return. I can think of no other explanation as to why the return fare will no longer route via LHR and use a BA codeshare to MAN. I can only use JFK/ORD or PHL direct back to MAN all of which have either the 767 or the 332
Old May 4, 2017, 3:47 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by SuitedandBooted
Grrr, like many here i was waiting for a sale...having seen it now it appears to have screwed me over...twice

Was looking at Dub-LHR-JFK/ORD-LHR-MAN via AA for later in the year which has been consistently showing £1180 for the past two months, DUB-LHR and LHR-MAN on BA (as AA codeshares). The fares were basically advance purchase specials based on DUB and MAN. I thought somewhat erroneously, that a sale might also feature ex-eu starts too.

To my main problem, as of today I cannot get this route to price anymore (it's lept up to £1550!) and can only do ORD-MAN, not via LHR. This is annoying as it means;

a) less tier points from the trip
b) AA's crappy 767 with tablet IFE (or the ex US 333 - which is even worse!)

Question:
Given that this forum has a wealth of knowledgeable types, can someone confirm my suspicion that the reason this has happened is the BA sale and that the sale fares have superceded the advance purchase codeshares that AA's booking engine was picking up?

It's too much of a coincidence. If I'm right then the fare/routing will return after this sale?

Furthermore, on the subject of this sale...it's pathetic £2400 pp for a 3 night biz break to NYC!? Bog off BA..this was £1299 a few months ago. For a short hop 6 hour flight and 3 nights in a hotel this is an absolute rip.
Sorry for the newbie Q, but how do you go about finding these very cheap multi city fares? I've just about got the hang of the ex eu stuff, if there is anyway I can make it cheaper or add some points that would be great.

Thanks

I was originally planning to go to Vegas end of June, and found £1250 rtn in CW on expedia.ie. Now I've changed to early until late June, the best I can find it £1700 DUB-LHR-LAS
Old May 4, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Paul Coles
Sorry for the newbie Q, but how do you go about finding these very cheap multi city fares? I've just about got the hang of the ex eu stuff, if there is anyway I can make it cheaper or add some points that would be great.

Thanks

I was originally planning to go to Vegas end of June, and found £1250 rtn in CW on expedia.ie. Now I've changed to early until late June, the best I can find it £1700 DUB-LHR-LAS
Hi Paul. I'm no expert but I use a combination of ITA Matrix (like most on here) with routing codes and also google flights to then nail down the itinerary and find booking options.

If you search on here for using the matrix to find ex-Eu fares there's a good thread about how to use it and then google matrix advanced routing codes to nail down the options you're seeking (airline, bucket, stops, even plane types etc)

Incidentally I just looked on LAS and indeed the cheapest for June seems around the £1700 mark. Trouble is, that's only just over a month away.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Not much in the way of sales from the West coast to the U.K. I've been watching First and CW fares from LAX and SAN over the last month or so. Fares have actually been creeping up by $5 to $10 a pop, but yesterday the CW fare from SAN went up from just over $3200 to just over $3900. I saw First for less than that last year when there was an actual sale going on. First hasn't moved at all from the current price of $5800.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
I can concur that the AA 767's are awful. The seat is cr@p and its not a good product but the A330's are pretty comfortable..prefer them over 767.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jock
I can concur that the AA 767's are awful. The seat is cr@p and its not a good product but the A330's are pretty comfortable..prefer them over 767.
I thought the refurbished AA 767s with new J seats were supposed to be quite nice? What didn't you like about the 767?
Old May 5, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by KARFA
I thought the refurbished AA 767s with new J seats were supposed to be quite nice? What didn't you like about the 767?
At the risk of getting off topic- I've been in J on the ex-US, now AA 330, the refurbished AA 767 and BA CW.
With some of today's new J seats out there, these 3 would rank down towards the bottom IMHO.
That said I don't think the 767 is bad at all. Get a window seat where the table is on the aisle side (they're staggered) and you'll have yourself a nice little cocoon. I would take that over a CW seat with the exception of UD 747.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Has anyone noticed that Google Flights / ITA is now not showing the cheapest fares available and you have to go to BA to find the fare?

In my sample of 1, I have searched GLA-HKG departure 21 August, return 19 December in WTP. Cheapest per ITA for BA is GBP 1912 but on the BA website it's GBP 1,287?
Old May 8, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by sxc
Has anyone noticed that Google Flights / ITA is now not showing the cheapest fares available and you have to go to BA to find the fare?

In my sample of 1, I have searched GLA-HKG departure 21 August, return 19 December in WTP. Cheapest per ITA for BA is GBP 1912 but on the BA website it's GBP 1,287?
I noticed it a couple of months ago, while searching for specific flights ex-EU. There were always 300/400 eur more on Google Flights / ITA comparing BA.com. At same time, AA prices were basically equal.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:26 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Lefly
I noticed it a couple of months ago, while searching for specific flights ex-EU. There were always 300/400 eur more on Google Flights / ITA comparing BA.com. At same time, AA prices were basically equal.
Ugh that's annoying. I thought only CX did this. I wonder if they have deliberately not made the fares available to ITA. If so, it's probably a bad decision given how much people do comparison searches these days.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sxc
Originally Posted by Lefly
Originally Posted by sxc

Ugh that's annoying. I thought only CX did this. I wonder if they have deliberately not made the fares available to ITA. If so, it's probably a bad decision given how much people do comparison searches these days.
From what I have seen, I think that this is primarily found in WT+ on routes/dates on which there are valid DIFs. The current position seems to be that the DIFs are valid for sale only by ba.com (or perhaps also some other selected channels), which would explain why you can't see them on ITA.

It's probably small consolation that there are also many reports that even BA call centres can't see the lower fares. One consequence is that if you phone to book a WT+ UuA to CW, the call centre may only be able to quote you the higher fare shown on ITA - hence the advice here to book the lower ba.com fare first, and then phone in to do the UuA.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:00 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

What's a DIF?
Old May 8, 2017, 2:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
What's a DIF?
Dual Inventory Fare. These new DIF fares have appeared from around mid-2016. They are a new type of fare to BA which effectively is almost like a POUG except the cost of the upgrade is included in the booking. They seem to be appearing mostly when purchasing WTP seats, and need inventory in both an economy and premium economy booking class. There have been difficulties with the fare mostly around attempting to upgrade in to CW using a GUF or by UuA.

There is more discussion in the linked post

Why can't I find this ba.com fare on ITA Matrix?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ount-code.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.