Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar take 9.99% stake in IAG (BA Owners)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by eagleflyer
A quick perusal of the City Takeover Code makes me think that they have stopped at 9.99% because if they acquired 10% and then made an offer for a significantly larger stake (to bring their holding up to maximum 49% they are allowed, for example) they would have to offer to buy that larger stake at the highest price paid to acquire any shares in the 10% stake. See Rule 11.1 of the Takeover Code. If they stop at 9.99% they can acquire another 40% at a lower price.
Nice first post! ^
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
0.999... (where the 9s are recurring, or in other words the 9s go on forever) is exactly identical to 1 (by the succinct proof you gave). In fact "0.999..." is better seen as an alternative way of writing "1" rather than a separate number that happens to be the same as 1.
For their next "enchantments", BAEC will award 0.999... Avios per mile flown [for 100% earning fare classes].

Later, this can be rounded to 0.99

And finally, to 0.9.

Eventually, they can drop decimals, and award 0 Avios per flown mile.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by Calchas
Is he an EU citizen??
No, he's Qatari.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
A quick perusal of the City Takeover Code makes me think that they have stopped at 9.99% because if they acquired 10% and then made an offer for a significantly larger stake (to bring their holding up to maximum 49% they are allowed, for example) they would have to offer to buy that larger stake at the highest price paid to acquire any shares in the 10% stake. See Rule 11.1 of the Takeover Code. If they stop at 9.99% they can acquire another 40% at a lower price.
I don't read it that way. 11.1 says that if you acquire 10% for CASH, any subsequent takeover offer must also be for CASH (with or without a share / share+cash alternative), at the same price or higher. (Contrast with 11.2, when an offer must be in securities.)

In other words by buying less than 10% QR have kept their options open to bid for more stock in a share-offer rather than a cash-offer. But since QR is not itself listed, IAG's shareholders aren't going to accept QR shares so this is a moot point.

So the explanation that they don't want to attract the EU's attention in relation to significant influence is more likely.

Interesting the Delta can own 49% of Virgin (no different to SQ before them) but FR have been told they have to sell their 29% of EI. Too much truble-making I guess.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Agreed, callum10000
hahahahah ^
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Isn't it either:
- Qatar Airways takes a near 10% stake rather than 49% because it doesn't have the cash to pay with IAG's near all-time high share price of 550 pence per share.

- No majority shareholder is willing to sell it stake?

- Qatar buying more than a 29.9% stake would require it under UK takeover rules to formally submit a bid to take over the company.

QUESTION: Did the IAG share sale come from the troubled Spanish bank Bankia *which had a sizable stake in IAG of over 10%
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
I don't read it that way. 11.1 says that if you acquire 10% for CASH, any subsequent takeover offer must also be for CASH (with or without a share / share+cash alternative), at the same price or higher. (Contrast with 11.2, when an offer must be in securities.)

In other words by buying less than 10% QR have kept their options open to bid for more stock in a share-offer rather than a cash-offer. But since QR is not itself listed, IAG's shareholders aren't going to accept QR shares so this is a moot point.

So the explanation that they don't want to attract the EU's attention in relation to significant influence is more likely.

Interesting the Delta can own 49% of Virgin (no different to SQ before them) but FR have been told they have to sell their 29% of EI. Too much truble-making I guess.
I'm pretty sure it was just down to competition. Even if Delta bought out Virgin completely (which I know isn't legal) there would still be significant competition on the routes they fly. The objection with Ryanair and Aer Lingus was that it would wipe out almost all competition from Ireland. That's why there hasn't been too much concern about IAG buying out Aer Lingus - it still leaves a separate major Irish carrier.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
Qatar buying more than a 29.9% stake would require it under UK takeover rules to formally submit a bid to take over the company.
Surely they'd be exempt, what with it being illegal for them to own more than 49.9%? I assume Delta didn't have to submit a bid to take over Virgin Atlantic.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by callum9999
I assume Delta didn't have to submit a bid to take over Virgin Atlantic.
Virgin Atlantic, the well-known listed company?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:14 am

Surely they'd be exempt, what with it being illegal for them to own more than 49.9%? I assume Delta didn't have to submit a bid to take over Virgin Atlantic.
The rule is there to avoid trapping other shareholders as minorities to the new significant shareholder. I don't see why they would be denied this protection because of an EU law and the domicile of the new significant shareholder. I don't know what the remedy would be: QR accept all shares tendered to them but then have to sell the excess?

In fact, it may be down to IAG's own Articles, not the law. Here's FR's relevant policy/Articles: https://www.ryanair.com/doc/investor...ShareOwner.pdf

Note that the rules appears to be total non-EU shareholdings <50%, not just all individual non-EU shareholders < 50%. If FR's operating rights are put in doubt, they can take away non-EU-held shares' voting rights or require that they be sold. Presumably IAG have similar Articles.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:19 am

The rule is there to avoid trapping other shareholders as minorities to the new significant shareholder. I don't see why they would be denied this protection because of an EU law and the domicile of the new significant shareholder. I don't know what the remedy would be: QR accept all shares tendered to them but are then have to sell the excess?

In fact, it may be down to IAG's own Articles, not the law. Here's FR's relevant policy/Articles: https://www.ryanair.com/doc/investor...ShareOwner.pdf

Note that the rules appears to be total non-EU shareholdings <50%, not just all individual non-EU shareholders < 50%. If FR's operating rights are put in doubt, they can take away non-EU-held shares' voting rights or require that they be sold. Presumably IAG have similar Articles.
Yeah I know the reasoning behind the rules, I just don't see how it would work given that they conflict with each other. Presumably either one of them has some sort of provision to account for that, or one of them is generally seen to over-rule the other. EU law generally over-rules member state law - is the forced takeover rule a UK or an EU law?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Agreed, callum10000
In my haste to discuss mathematics with LondonElite (I never thought I'd say that!?) I missed this excellent post.

Indeed another excellent post I missed! Welcome to FlyerTalk eagleflyer and you have set the bar high there for your future posts—I look forward to them. Please do join in and hopefully we can provide you with some useful information in return.

Delta were investigated by the EU Commission for having an alleged undue influence on VS. I cannot find the result of their enquiry so perhaps it is not finished yet.
http://aviationweek.com/awin/shareho...trol39-398421/

It is worth noting that the EU already investigated DL/VS before DL was permitted to buy the shares.

The rule is there to avoid trapping other shareholders as minorities to the new significant shareholder. I don't see why they would be denied this protection because of an EU law and the domicile of the new significant shareholder. I don't know what the remedy would be: QR accept all shares tendered to them but then have to sell the excess?

I think this is a matter of EU law as well. An EU airline cannot be "effectively controlled" a non-EU entity as a matter of law.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:52 am

Yeah I know the reasoning behind the rules, I just don't see how it would work given that they conflict with each other. Presumably either one of them has some sort of provision to account for that, or one of them is generally seen to over-rule the other. EU law generally over-rules member state law - is the forced takeover rule a UK or an EU law?
I'm not sure there is a conflict. It isn't illegal for QR to buy 51% of IAG. But then IAG becomes ineligible to operate it's routes. QR would be shooting themselves in the foot, but in any case IAG should work a remedy into their Articles in case it were to happen inadvertently, or aggressively.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Cheers, Eagleflyer. That looks plausible (and rings a bell)—especially if they think IAG is at a bit of a peak. Pauldb, I read 11.1 as stipulating *both* form of consideration and minimum price ("cash... at not less than the highest price").
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
“If you did not have unions you wouldn't have this jobless problem in the western world… It is caused by unions making companies and institutions uncompetitive and bringing them to a position of not being efficient,” Akbar Al Baker
http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...us+world/qatar

Get him on the Board of Directors I say.
....thank you Mr Blofeld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.