Wiki Posts
Search

Tight connection in SYD - possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Tight connection in SYD - possible?

I land into SYD at 0700 after travelling in J on BA from LHR on 2/12, and I noticed that there's an EK flight at 0845 from SYD-AKL on an A380 - there's availability for a First ticket and I thought it'd be a great opportunity to try it out at a relatively low cost (redemption, so 30K avios and no taxes/fees)

However, I've only got 1h45 to land, get off, clear customs and get to the EK flight. Do people think this is absolutely not possible? If not, what would happen should I miss this flight - is it possible that EK would put me on the same flight next day (which is fine by me, I'll stay in SYD 1 night) or would I just lose the 30K avios and have nothing to show for it?

Would anyone else attempt this or is it madness?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
It seems tight to me, the 8.45 flight will probably close the gate at 7.45 or 8.00 at the latest, and on such vast distances there is always a likeliness that the BA flight may be in a bit later which gives you 30 minutes to connect or less.

I have never connected on SYD with anything less than 4 hours but perhaps others may have a different experience

My 2p
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
There is no customs or immigration if you have no luggage or checked through. Only a transfer screening. 1:45 is enough if your flights are on time.

If you have to go through customs to get your bag and re-check, I would not want to lay a bet.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:41 pm

If you have no checked luggage then you won't need to clear customs - just go through transfer security. It will be busy but I have never had to wait more than 30 minutes. If worst comes to worst they can pull you to the front of the queue.

More importantly, how are you redeeming Avios for a flight on EK? You can redeem QFF points for EK flights due to the QF/EK tie-up but that availability does not extend to members of oneworld partner schemes.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Would you be talking about QF8764 / EK412? Perhaps OP is talking about booking the reward flight on EK metal but ticketed through QF via codeshare.

Lets say you did manage that. Then I think it should be possible to check in for the SYD-AKL leg at LHR since both flights are OW and tickets could be combined. Call with BA to check if that is possible ^ you are set to go with only a brief stop in the QF 1st lounge during your transfer.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you have no luggage , that is plenty of time ; likely be through security within 10 minutes of disembarking and can then head to either the Qantas or Emirates lounge to wait for the flight

If you have luggage and it is on separate tickets, I would forget the idea; by the time you have collected luggage, cleared quarantine/customs and got round to the Emirates checkin desk, the odds are very good that you will be too late to check in

If you miss the flight , you will be a no show and down to rules of the ticket on what will happen to the points used
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Sorry, wasn't too clear on my first post:

I'll be travelling on a BA ticketed flight (using an AMEX 2-4-1) into SYD from LHR and arriving at 0700. I can't see a way to combine my first booking and the EK SYD-AKL booking I don't think so that my baggage is checked through? I can't even see availability for this flight on the BA site (shows on Qantas award search though on their site)

Sadly I don't think mrs renwaldo will be happy with the idea of no checked luggage for a trip to aus - I would of course forego checked luggage if it meant I could try the First suite
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you are on two tickets and this is BA to EK then there is very little way I see your luggage being checked through. You are going to have to retrieve your bag and re-check it in. Based on that I am not sure I would even try a 1h 45min connection at an airport I knew well and where there was no immigration or customs. If you miss your connection I don't think EK have any responsibility to rebook you.

I would say get a later flight.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:00 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by renwaldo
I noticed that there's an EK flight at 0845 from SYD-AKL on an A380 - there's availability for a First ticket and I thought it'd be a great opportunity to try it out at a relatively low cost (redemption, so 30K avios and no taxes/fees)
I can't even see availability for this flight on the BA site (shows on Qantas award search though on their site)
Emirates is not a oneworld or BA partner, so you can't book this flight with avios. It is displayed on the QF search because Emirates is a QF partner.

If you had QF points, Emirates or a few other programs miles then you could book it.

However as said above, BA policy is not to check through to a non-oneworld carrier on separate tickets.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:16 am

Sorry, wasn't too clear on my first post:

I'll be travelling on a BA ticketed flight (using an AMEX 2-4-1) into SYD from LHR and arriving at 0700. I can't see a way to combine my first booking and the EK SYD-AKL booking I don't think so that my baggage is checked through? I can't even see availability for this flight on the BA site (shows on Qantas award search though on their site)

Sadly I don't think mrs renwaldo will be happy with the idea of no checked luggage for a trip to aus - I would of course forego checked luggage if it meant I could try the First suite
With luggage - no chance ; BA will not check bags through and the chance of connecting is very low

I would suggest booking another service to Auckland ; if you book on QF or LA then the luggage can be checked through
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I have a similar question; arrive into Sydney on internal QF861 which arrives at 12.35 - then onto BA16 at 15.30

Having allowed five hours last time (in bound on Virgin Australia) this was far too much time. Do you think these timings are fine, and being Oneworld will I be able to check luggage from Gold Coast straight through to London?

Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:20 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I have a similar question; arrive into Sydney on internal QF861 which arrives at 12.35 - then onto BA16 at 15.30

Having allowed five hours last time (in bound on Virgin Australia) this was far too much time. Do you think these timings are fine, and being Oneworld will I be able to check luggage from Gold Coast straight through to London?
Yes that timing looks fine. You should be able to check your luggage through so can use the airside transfer bus.

The domestic and international terminals are on opposite sides of the airport, and the MCT is 90 minutes for any domestic connecting to BA. Your connection is not protected though so if QF861 is significantly delayed or cancelled you would miss BA16 since the next QF flight arrives too late.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:27 am
Original Poster

. I'll have to think of a new plan. Thanks very much for all the feedback!

Last edited by renwaldo; Jan 29, 2015 at 4:35 am
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:41 am

. I'll have to think of a new plan. Thanks very much for all the feedback!
The LA flight ( at this time of year ) departs 45 minutes later than the EK one ann , being part of OW, would be able to check bags through.

Looking back, it seems that you wanted to use BA Avios to book the EK flight, which I am pretty sure is not possible - it would require QF or EK points or , of course, money
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nux
You should be able to check your luggage through so can use the airside transfer bus.

The domestic and international terminals are on opposite sides of the airport, and the MCT is 90 minutes for any domestic connecting to BA.
Thanks Nux, last time I used the landside bus as this gives me the opportunity to go outside for a last cigarette..!

I chose this Qantas flight as I think there were 2/3 others that could be used if something went wrong (at my expense, I know)

Last edited by mikeyfly; Jan 29, 2015 at 6:17 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.