Wiki Posts
Search

T5 -> T4 LHR transfer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spicysoup
Great, thanks.Do you have to go through security again? Also, I know it's bit "how long is a piece of string?" but what's the typical time from disembarking at T5 to QR lounge entry at T4?
Yes you need to go through security at T4. That is the same for any inter terminal transfer at LHR. I would say maybe 35-50 minutes typically from stepping of the plane at T5 to being airside post security at T4. If you arrive at a remote gate or T5C you can add some more time to that of course. If arriving in to T5B you can get the airside buses from there, no need to go to T5A to catch them.

I am not going to go in to the risks of self-connecting between separate tickets and how much time to leave - I assume you know what you are doing and realise you aren't protected.
spicysoup likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by spicysoup
Great, thanks.Do you have to go through security again? Also, I know it's bit "how long is a piece of string?" but what's the typical time from disembarking at T5 to QR lounge entry at T4?
Yes, you have to go through security again just after arrival into T4. Assuming you arrive at a T5A gate, you should think in terms of it taking about 30 to 45 minutes to reach the QR lounge in T4.
spicysoup likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA - Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

I am not going to go in to the risks of self-connecting between separate tickets and how much time to leave - I assume you know what you are doing and realise you aren't protected.
Hopefully I'm covered for time. I land at 1610 and fly at 2155 - not to tempt fate! Great info though, thank you!
Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:35 am

T4>T5 ?

Reviving an old thread as I couldn't see at T4>T5 thread
On sundae 1st October ill be:
Landing T4 QR3 @13:15 - sperate bookings due to QR3 being a reward flight, but in J so hopefully off the plane fairly quickly.
Departing T5 BA508 @15:15 - (have a backup option with a much longer delay should this connection not work)

Will be HBO, so hopefully 2hrs should be enough, but i wasnt 100% clear on the T4>T5 route airside - having never doe this (done t3>t5), I assumed i just follow the purple flight connections signs and catch a shuttle bus to T5? Was there a KARFA guide ive missed somewhere for T4>T5?
Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Was there a KARFA guide ive missed somewhere for T4>T5?
Yes there is.

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5
Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by HogwartsExpress
ah yes you are right... KARFAs post is so extensive i missed the T2/3/4 to T5... are there any security checks in T4 as we head to the bus, or is this just as we enter T5?

T2/3/4 to T5 Connections

If you are arriving in to any of the other terminals at LHR and have an onward flight from T5 you have two options to transfer terminals. You can either:

1. Exit landside at the terminal you arrive at (subject to you having right of entry to the UK) and take one of the Heathrow Express (HEX), tube, or even a TfL bus to T5.
2. Remain airside and follow the signs for flight connections. You will then catch an airside bus to T5 and arrive at T5A at the point shown in post #4 where you go up from the ground floor to arrivals/flight connections.

The airside option 2 is the easiest and quickest. However, this option only works if you don't have any checked bags, or have checked bags and they are through checked on to your T5 flight. If your bags are through checked there is no need for you to see them at LHR and you can simply use the airside bus. If your bags are not through checked you will have to follow option 1 as you will have to collect your bags at the terminal you arrive at, and take them across to T5 yourself before re-checking them.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
ah yes you are right... KARFAs post is so extensive i missed the T2/3/4 to T5... are there any security checks in T4 as we head to the bus, or is this just as we enter T5?
On a T4 to T5 transit you will only clear security on entry to T5, nothing for you in T4
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
On a T4 to T5 transit you will only clear security on entry to T5, nothing for you in T4
Geez... been on the bus for 45mins and now waiting to cross the runway, and then will be dumped at T2 where i need to get another bus to T5...
My leisurely 2hour connections now feels stressful, apparently the normal tunnel is closed, but of course nobody says anything at T4.... Whats happened to the UK? Why cant they get the basic things right anymore...
Wondering if its quicker now to exit at t2... but only have just over an hour left before my flight... and have spent nearly an hour on this bus and just making T2...
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GGL
Geez... been on the bus for 45mins and now waiting to cross the runway, and then will be dumped at T2 where i need to get another bus to T5...
My leisurely 2hour connections now feels stressful, apparently the normal tunnel is closed, but of course nobody says anything at T4.... Whats happened to the UK? Why cant they get the basic things right anymore...
Wondering if its quicker now to exit at t2... but only have just over an hour left before my flight... and have spent nearly an hour on this bus and just making T2...
Rather unique situation of some broken extraction in one of the tunnels. See this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35624502-post2389.html
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by c1223
Rather unique situation of some broken extraction in one of the tunnels. See this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35624502-post2389.html
ah agreed, unique.. but a simple sign/comms to say T4 > T5 transfer will go via T2 and may upwards of an hour plus..
now on the bus to T5... (should have checked flyer talk when on QR3 rather than quaffing bubbles at the bar.. )

update - 80mins total transfer time.. leaving just enough time to grab a drink in the lounge....
sadly Airtags says bags are in T3 (landed T4) hopefully its just there are no iDevices around and its made it into the belly of BA508(LHR-FAO) at T5 gate17

Last edited by babyg_wc; Oct 1, 2023 at 8:18 am
Old Oct 1, 2023, 9:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
At least for the time being the landside routes will be better, the TfL bus service will take 10-15 minutes and the service frequency will be under 10 minutes. Just to add to matters there was a signal failure with the rail services that blocked services for over an hour this afternoon, so HEX would not have been any good. That's now cleared.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Those airside transfer buses are always to be avoided, unless you have extraordinary balance and strong muscles. The drivers take special courses in cornering and braking to deliver the maximum lurch.

EDIT that long wait to cross the runway would at least give the muscles a chance to recover.
Visconti likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.