Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EC changes : will you switch ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA - Gold, On Business, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by paul4040
Where do you fly to, and what's important to you from a FFP?
Most frequently to India/ South Asia on business trips, some to USA. Ability to upgrade to business class is what I need really
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:03 pm
lsi

Originally Posted by albireo
Just curious to know what your plans are after the EC changes come into effect : will you stick to BA, switch to an other FF program, or else ?

In my case (mostly eco traveller, Silver, based on the continent) I think I will end my almost systematic allegiance to BA for long haul flying. I had come to the EC after Flying Blue introduced its own "enhancements" (plus the 10-abreast seating on 777s) a few years ago. But this time I will not really switch, as I do not know of any other program which would provide me a really better incentive. So I will shop long-haul as I have been doing short-haul for a while now : first criteria will be price and convenience, rather than loyalty.

The days of FFP fun will soon be over for me. Paradoxally, I almost feel relieved as it will make my travel planning much simpler !
My situation is almost exactly the same as yours, and after reading through all the changes I'm going to do exactly the same thing.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Gold, DanAir Lifetime Gold, Coffee House Bedford Platinum Plus, Green
I am taking a Little Red flight to EDI today to take advantage of their offer to status match BAEC Gold with Flying Club Gold. Going to try Virgin Premium Economy to NY in May.

I fly mainly for pleasure and do a couple of LH trips each year to USA and Asia in J - in future I'll be driven by price not loyalty to BA - don't mind exEU but if Virgin First is anyway comparable I'll try it.

Am keen to try Qatar, Emirates and CX to Asia - now my loyalty ties have been broken I will
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
Should BA find in the future that the marginal revenue provided by low cash value flyers, considering all their costs, regains relative importance to BA's strategy, they will consider and change again accordingly.
It's not a case of 'should' but 'when' - but by then, all of the people they have pi$$ed of will likely have found alternative carriers that they probably would never have considered due to previous misguided loyalty to BA...........and that is not confined to the 'low cash value flyers'.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by passy777
It's not a case of 'should' but 'when' - but by then, all of the people they have pi$$ed of will likely have found alternative carriers that they probably would never have considered due to previous misguided loyalty to BA...........and that is not confined to the 'low cash value flyers'.
The way some people go on about it, you'd think that the current BAEC reward levels have been around since the dawn of time, and that the new structure will be the stingiest BAEC structure ever seen.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Switch to what? I was already effectively out of the game, before these changes. It's nice to have plenty of miles to spend though. Like some others here, I'm more value focused these days. So, I wouldn't go chasing Avios to fly from MAN to CDG, via LHR, when Easyjet* and Jet2 have good products. For my trips to Southern Africa, BA will continue to make sense, albeit I have to accept that a good year, that would have earned me silver, will now earn me bronze**.

* And on Easyjet and RyanAir, I can pay for the priority I would otherwise have to earn, on BA.

** But don't underestimate the power of Bronze - the priority ground services matter more to me than the lounge access. Bronze is well worth having.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: BA silver
No, not yet at any rate. Amusingly I just switched to BA from AC the past year because it was pretty much impossible with my amount of flying to earn meaningful status the latter programme. I'm not surprised at the changes because it seems that every frequent flyer programme is doing it, and it is a business after all. I'm most sad to see the uua costs go up, but they were so low for wt+ to cw that it's hardly a shock that they upped them, I wondered how long that would last even when I joined. I feel I've gotten value from BA and have enjoyed all my flights with them so far.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The way some people go on about it, you'd think that the current BAEC reward levels have been around since the dawn of time, and that the new structure will be the stingiest BAEC structure ever seen.
This is true. Less than 20 years ago it used to be one of the least rewarding FFP for most people while at this present time even with the recent changes it is still one of the best of an increasingly bad bunch.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you are based in London, then I understand what you are suggesting, however, based here in the regions, I for one will be impacted more by the changes.

I accept that reward level structures in bygone days were not at current levels but it doesn't make the new changes any more palatable - well for most of us anyway!

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
for most people while at this present time even with the recent changes it is still one of the best of an increasingly bad bunch.
Let's see what happens in the coming months. It may arguably be the best of a bad bunch after April, hopefully BAEC will not further enhance the programme to the point that there is little difference between all of the apples in the bunch.....but I think even the most optimistic person will probably expect further changes are not only inevitable - but will result in further devaluation.

Last edited by passy777; Feb 8, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by passy777

Let's see what happens in the coming months. It may arguably be the best of a bad bunch after April, hopefully BAEC will not further enhance the programme to the point that there is little difference between all of the apples in the bunch.....but I think even the most optimistic person will probably expect further changes are not only inevitable - but will result in further devaluation.
But which FFP are better? If you don't fly to/from or in the U.S. the American FFP aren't an option due to metal requirements.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:50 pm

Alternative programmes for status

I am not so worried about earning miles (I earn most of mine through credit cards), but I am worried about status (I am BA silver which I appreciate for lounge access). Flights booked in Q,O and G will only earn 25% of TP... I do quite a lot of LHR-MAN, and these tend to be in those lower classes. I suspect BA will loose revenue from me as a result of the change, as sometime I choose plane over train between LHR and MAN. I doubt it will the the case if I'm not silver anymore.

I have been looking at alternative programmes. Many people have discussed AA here, but because I don't fly AA I don't think I could achieve the four segments requirements to achieve status. I can't fathom Finnair's rules. Any other thoughts?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
But which FFP are better?
"Better' is of course subjective although I agree that the differences are becoming increasingly difficult to spot and even the ones that are easily identifiable seem to be constantly under the enhancement microscope.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonolhr
I am not so worried about earning miles (I earn most of mine through credit cards), but I am worried about status (I am BA silver which I appreciate for lounge access). Flights booked in Q,O and G will only earn 25% of TP... I do quite a lot of LHR-MAN, and these tend to be in those lower classes. I suspect BA will loose revenue from me as a result of the change, as sometime I choose plane over train between LHR and MAN. I doubt it will the the case if I'm not silver anymore.

I have been looking at alternative programmes. Many people have discussed AA here, but because I don't fly AA I don't think I could achieve the four segments requirements to achieve status. I can't fathom Finnair's rules. Any other thoughts?
AF/KL is easy for status: 30 segments/year gets you lounge access. Given you have to change at AMS or CDG you already get four for each trip.

But the programme basically offers nothing else. You will never get any redemptions out of discount Y tickets.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:39 pm
lsi

Just booked a flight to the Middle East with TK through IST, even though the destination is served by BA. Wouldn't have happened a year ago.

Feels strangely liberating actually, not paying extra out of loyalty to an FFP-program.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
The fact is that if you're booking business tickets, then of course you can go and try the likes of TK (above) or any of the GCC carrier, or whatever you like. Your ticket will still give you a lot of the same benefits you'd get with BA.

But why bother? If you're booming business tickets, not much has changed with BA.

So then you've got economy tickets. Stick with BA and your shiny status card, get lounge access, priority boarding, extra baggage... Or go status-less to another airline and experience being handled like cattle?

It's a very clever balance that BA have struck, when you think about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.