Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by bafan
I confess I stopped reading halfway through...

I will be interested to see the replies the letter gets.
I'll give you a prediction:
Dear Mr ...,

Thank you for your letter expressing your concerns about the recent changes to the Executive Club. At British Airways we always welcome comments from our valued Executive Club Members.

I've passed your letter on to the relevant teams within our organisation who will consider your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back on board in the near future.

Regards ...

blah blah blah.
You might also get a variant that offers some Avios in compensation.

My money is on a 90% match for what I've just written.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I don't agree with your calculation and agree with Filthy Monkey.
As the Germans say, "don't trust any statistics you didn't forge yourself"

It's entirely possible my numbers are off. I'll go back and check! <sigh>

Collectively we must have re-invented the wheel Avios earnings calculator about ten thousand times over the last week. Some more accurately than others, apparently
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
So I've bitten the bullet and cleared out my Avios before the changes come in. I usually use them for long haul premium cabins in the new 'peak periods - summer and christmas - to LAS - either full avios or UUA - and I simply won't earn enough from travel and no longer shopping at Tescos. Plus I have got rid of my Amex PP.

So have booked an ex-DUB UUA to LAS at Christmas for my mother and I and have just used to rest of my meagre collection to fly a friend from GRU-LAS next month to join me for a weekend for the grand total of 69k miles and Ł40. Not a bad deal for a Y ticket with the lack of YQ.

I guess all my long haul holiday travel will now be ex-EU or on other airlines.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191

But we do clock up some miles:
2013 - 15.5 k
2014 - 27.5 k
2015 - 38.2 k ... so far, flown or in MMB
Most years I fly 15,000 miles.....that's much more than many status holders on here.

I'd say if someone flies twice a week they could call themselves a frequent flier.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
<snip>
Golds paying for full fare club tickets will see a small reduction in the number of Avios required for an off-peak redemption but a small increase in the number of Avios required for a peak redemption.

<snip>

Golds paying for full fare club tickets will see a small reduction in the number of Avios required for an off-peak redemption but a small increase in the number of Avios required for a peak redemption.
Sixth Freedom - your calculations are correct, but your conclusions are not (or at least they are misarticulated). The reduction is in the number of sectors (and consequently round-trips) needed for an off-peak redemption. The number of avios remains unchanged regardless of peak or off-peak times.

Incidentally, for the sake of pragmatism, all decimals should be rounded up to the nearest whole integer. It's is impossible to fly a part of a sector - when it comes to avios earnings - unless BA credits you avios only to the point where your airplane crashed. (forgive the morbid humour)
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Most years I fly 15,000 miles.....that's much more than many status holders on here.

I'd say if someone flies twice a week they could call themselves a frequent flier.
Fair enough. Neither of us are frequent flyers. I shall amend my signature when I'm back on the proper device ... OK?

At least I fly BA
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:16 pm

Fair enough. Neither of us are frequent flyers.
I don't think BA - or indeed any other airline - cares about BIS miles any more.

Spend, not miles, is what's important. I work quite hard to keep that down
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least I fly BA
For this year, at least?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Calchas
For this year, at least?
I've paid for it already ... Although quite a bit of it is on US

Even at my age I can move with the times
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:58 pm
lsi

So, pardon my various levels of ignorance here, but:

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I represent a fairly large section of BA's customer base. I'm probably not a frequent flier as such, but between work and leisure I get through some 20-30 sectors per year (mostly domestic or within Europe). I'll book CE if the price is decent, ET the rest of the time. Like most people who pay for their own flights price is an important factor, but 99% of the time I'll pay extra to stay loyal to BA - partially because in a good year I'll hit silver - which is very handy to have.

I may not represent a majority on this forum, but from speaking to colleagues and friends I get the sense that my consumer pattern is a fairly common one. Again, please do correct me if I'm wrong about this.

What I'm wondering is: Don't these changes, combined with the new shorthaul cabins, pretty much screw me with regards to BA?

I know the stuff about loyalty schemes being there to "reward" loyal customers is all marketing guff, the reason reason they exist is to keep customers and to convince you to pay more money to fly with a specific airline - but with the new changes I'm going to have a very hard time convincing myself that I'm not better off just consistently booking EasyJet and paying for exit row seats. Am I wrong or are BA really eroding the gap between themselves and the LCCs here? At least for customers such as myself.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:03 pm

As a silver doing domestic or european travel - yes - you've been hit hard.

On a ET booking in most discount booking codes - you'd have previously earnt 200% of the traveled miles. Now you'll earn 100%.

If you book the very very deep ET codes (O,G and Q) - you'll be losing TPs too.

It'll make retaining silver much harder, and earning sufficient miles to redeem harder.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:39 pm
lsi

Originally Posted by MPH1980
As a silver doing domestic or european travel - yes - you've been hit hard.

On a ET booking in most discount booking codes - you'd have previously earnt 200% of the traveled miles. Now you'll earn 100%.

If you book the very very deep ET codes (O,G and Q) - you'll be losing TPs too.

It'll make retaining silver much harder, and earning sufficient miles to redeem harder.
That's what I thought. Now, beyond my own selfish needs, surely it's not good news for BA if semi-frequent fliers such as myself all stop paying extra from BA and decamp to LCCs?

With silver no longer a realistic target and the new EasyJetesque seat pitches, the equation simply doesn't add up anymore. And I can't possibly be the only person for whom that's the case.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by lsi
That's what I thought. Now, beyond my own selfish needs, surely it's not good news for BA if semi-frequent fliers such as myself all stop paying extra from BA and decamp to LCCs?

With silver no longer a realistic target and the new EasyJetesque seat pitches, the equation simply doesn't add up anymore. And I can't possibly be the only person for whom that's the case.
BA have obviously done their calculations and figure it's worth it for them to make this change.

We cannot say whether it's good or not. Perhaps they don't make a good margin on your kind of flying - who knows! The only people who know whether a down turn in business on European legs is a good thing or not is BA. To simply say that someone not spending money is bad is not necessarily true - if the margin is below target, or is negative then it *might* be better not to have that particular bum on that particular seat. But I'm not a revenue manager at an airline.

I understand your position. I barely scrape into Gold each year (1570 last year!). If I wasn't gold - I'd be making some serious considerations about whether BA is the right programme for me. Equally I'd be wondering if BA are the right airline and I might be inclined to try others.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:21 pm
lsi

BA have obviously done their calculations and figure it's worth it for them to make this change.

We cannot say whether it's good or not. Perhaps they don't make a good margin on your kind of flying - who knows! The only people who know whether a down turn in business on European legs is a good thing or not is BA. To simply say that someone not spending money is bad is not necessarily true - if the margin is below target, or is negative then it *might* be better not to have that particular bum on that particular seat. But I'm not a revenue manager at an airline.

I understand your position. I barely scrape into Gold each year (1570 last year!). If I wasn't gold - I'd be making some serious considerations about whether BA is the right programme for me. Equally I'd be wondering if BA are the right airline and I might be inclined to try others.
Yeah, those are all fair points - and I fully accept that I'm not really qualified to pass judgement on whether or not BA's logic is sound.

And only time will tell, I'm definitely "leaving" BA when my current period of silver ends, and I don't expect I'll be back. I suspect I'm not alone in this, time will tell if that's a good or a bad thing for BA.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I feel the same way. I'm an even more marginal Gold btw, at exactly 1500TP (!), though in my defence 1480 of those were on BA with 20 on Finnair.

If my travel pattern was of bargain basement Y travel then I think I would be off to EZY now, Flounge or no Flounge.

I'm not quite 100% understanding why BA is essentially ceding passengers to LCCs at the bottom end of their market. Perhaps there's an optimism that more profitable passengers are waiting in the wings, or that simply running a points scheme like Avios is far more profitable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.