Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
More opportunities to upgrade
By the end of the year, you will be able to upgrade using Avios from more World Traveller and Euro Traveller commercial booking classes than today. That means there will be more opportunities to upgrade than ever before and we will of course be back in touch with you later in the year to let you know exactly when this will become available.
This sounds good at first, but having looked at some fares I'm sceptical of the potential benefit if they only add a few more booking classes.

Take, for instance, LHR-JNB-LHR, in WT, in April (picked at random). According to ITA Matrix:

Cheapest Y is Ł2002
B is Ł1149
H is Ł1111

I think the next two fare buckets are K and M

K is Ł1074
M is Ł1039

and right at the bottom
O is Ł680

Note that T (cheapest WT+) is Ł1118

So even if they add two more fare buckets (K and M) to the list of WT fares you can UuA from, it makes hardly any difference as the fare difference between K/M and H is basically peanuts, and the T fare is almost at that level already!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by benjyyy
I thought that Aer Lingus being bought by IAG would be a good thing for connectivity but with removing domestic add-ons it's a sickener for those of us in Northern Ireland.
That hasn't happened - the offer is conditional and the Irish Government is looking less likely to accept, given the latest reports from Dublin and mounting political opposition, even within the coalition parties.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I total these changes might actually benefit me, except for the LCY-JFK TPs.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something seems to have slipped by:

"Are oneworld and other partner airlines also introducing peak and off-peak travel periods?

No. If you would like to redeem Avios to fly with British Airways airline partners you will need to use peak Avios pricing all year round. There will be no off-peak pricing available for reward flights with our airline partners."

Bit annoying for those us redeeming on non-BA metal.

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ppp909
I'll be investigating such things. In fact, I quite expect some of the competition to use this news to lure customers away.

Shame that for those of us living in the UK, there's no single airline or alliance with the same coverage as BA, especially as Little Red is gone.
I live in the UK. Most of my work travel is US bound. BA/AA has the best coverage but Virgin/Delta has equally good coverage now. At least half of my travel is business class.

Prior to this news I was torn as to whether to take advantage of this status match and work towards retaining Gold on both BA and Virgin. With this BAEC update, my mind is made up. The devaluation of BAEC makes it even more important to have an alternative program I can lean on when needed.

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
Making some sense of the award chart gutting:

Thank you for this. I also found it interesting that for redemptions in Zones 4+, WTP will require double the Avios compared to WT! WTP is the new J!

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Originally Posted by orudge
Urgh. As a cheapy-economy flying, regional-airport-using BA member, this offers pretty much nothing good for me! European RFS redemptions (which is pretty much what we would do most of the time) are now going to be twice the price. Flying Blue of all things now looks competitive, when it comes to European return redemptions - 18,000 Avios + Ł70 vs 20-25,000 miles + just over Ł70 taxes for a random destination, for instance.

Purely domestic redemptions are still decent value (especially if they can be booked as off-peak), I guess.

For booking paid flights, if the price difference between BA and another carrier was pretty small, I'd always go for BA - the increased Avios earnings and great value of European RFS would make it worthwhile. Not convinced that'll be the case any more, if I'd only be earning 25% or 50% miles whichever airline I choose!

On the plus side, it looks like we should be able to upgrade from (fairly) cheapy economy to WTP with Avios. On the downside, cheap WTP tickets now only earn 100% Avios, not 125%.

Was just looking at plans for our summer holiday last night. Think we might be booking some flights pretty sharpish!
^+1

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by benjyyy
I thought that Aer Lingus being bought by IAG would be a good thing for connectivity but with removing domestic add-ons it's a sickener for those of us in Northern Ireland.
It is a massive blow.

I bet Dublin Airport are rubbing their hands at this. Someone who lives in Newry or Dundalk or that border area will now waver towards flying out of DUB. Even people who live in Belfast have the option of efficient Translink/BE buses to connect straight down the motorway.

A shame.

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
For silvers who mainly get the status through lots of flying - if the 25 (for bronze) and 50 (for silver) leg threshold is retained, that could then become a useful benefit.

My 2015/6 strategy was WTP with ex-EU and upgrading. My short haul will now largely be redemption only, although with the 50% cabin bonus I might have to engineer a TP run with a view to hitting gold to be able to keep upgrading from WTP .

So... if and to the extent there is a bright spot, it is that cheaper fares in premium cabins will still be well rewarded, although with the EI takeover that might result in a change of strategy.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
Similarly, when discounted Y is priced at LCC levels, who can blame BA for reinstating reduced avios earning?.
While it's in the same ball park, it's not quite there. When deciding between a LCC and BA I deduct the amount of avios I'd get from the BA price at 1p per mile then book BA if the timing works and it's within a tenner. 90% of the time I still fly on a LCC (and I actually prefer flying Norwegian to BA on short haul anyway).

I certainly don't blame BA though. While I'll likely shift long haul to the Star Alliance where practical (most trips to the Americas are similarly priced on United etc when I look - which still earns 100% in discount economy), I'm well aware losing a deep discount economy flyer isn't at all bad for them!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speculation: Since the Avios part of the programme is being "spun out" Avios are insisting that it isn't profitable enough as it was?

The real winners are probably those generating Avios from non-flying activities.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
This does not come as a surprise for those us who have lived through a number of M&M enhancements at LH/LX over the past two years.

BA's EC has closed in on LH's M&M in terms of enhancements. Overall, BA EC's is still much better, at least for those of us traveling in the D-and-above fare buckets. I've been a member of both programs since the mid-1990, always in their highest Tier.

Here are the three things (both programs) that most annoyed me over the past 20+ years:

a. New CE S/H seats.
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.
g. Reduction of miles credited for partner flights at LH (25% even for C fares at TK flights)
h. Redemption availibility on SQ with LH M&M

soooo: As long as BA does not reduce the TP earned for flights on partner airlines, I'm fine. LH has already cut into that pie. Let's hope that BA EC's Management does not get into that kind of "enhancements".

Slightly OT: When will the old intraeuropean S/H seat be back? Or can we assign a couple of a the A321 used for the LHR TLV route to the LHR TXL service?

Last edited by awestphal; Jan 28, 2015 at 3:02 am
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Well that's pretty much killed my earning on Domestic

Today - LHR-BHD 2000 avios round trip.

After Changes - 375 (given it's mostly O bucket I end up with and I'll be dropping to silver)

Wow, down to 18.75% of the current rate. Thanks for the soft landing there BA. At least I won't have to worry about the fact that all my travel will fall in the peak time zone because I won't have any avios to spend anyway.

Anyone think Tesco conversion rates are next in line for the chop?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Am I alone in thinking that this is good news?
Pretty much alone, I'd say

It should increase the chance to get reward bookings by reducing avios in circulation without increasing redemption cost ....
I think perhaps you haven't read and digested the news on redemption rates

Setting the bonus at 100% for both gold and silver was always ridiculous - at last sanity has prevailed.
But the differentiation you feel warranted could have been achieved by lifting the gold bonus.

Similarly, when discounted Y is priced at LCC levels, who can blame BA for reinstating reduced avios earning?
Shareholders? Avios & TP earning was one of the marketing tools employed against LCC erosion. With easyJet's business-savvy strategies (and Ryanair catching up), it's now more down to price.

I personally think that gold was becoming increasingly devalued (look at the number of recent threads on "is it worth going for gold?").
The recent TP-earning frenzy appeared mainly driven by the ease of garnering TPs on Sales-driven mileage-runs. The LCY JFK enhancement has removed some of the fat: maybe the next will be adjusting US partner earnings in domestic first.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by xenole
.....and this will mean people have less Avios with which to make a redemption flight thus increasing the number of available seats for redemption.

Whether this means that "no extra seats are actually going to be released but it will look as if they are" or what, I've no idea.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Precisely!

Without even needing to increase the number of seats available, they can say that it will be easier to redeem a flight - because the total outstanding Avios balances issued will, in the new scheme, not be able to redeem as many seats as under the old rules.

When less seats can be redeemed, due to the higher redemption levels, it means that availability "increases" for all...
I concur.

The avios cost to the west coast in particular will be very prohibitive to many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.