Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why can't people go to the toilet BEFORE they board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue

Lately I've been doing sub one-hour domestic UK flights for many months. What I find annoying is that the moment the seat belt sign gets turned off, which is when the drinks service starts, several people will run to the toilets.

The drinks service gets interrupted repeatedly.

How difficult is it to empty your bladder before you get on board?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It may not have been possible, if you were running late and only just made your flight.

And there are people who have weak bladders and who must run to the bathroom more frequently than normal.

Does this issue really bother you that much?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
It may not have been possible, if you were running late and only just made your flight.

And there are people who have weak bladders and who must run to the bathroom more frequently than normal.

Does this issue really bother you that much?
But rumbataz's drink and snack is being substantially delayed by all these people. Surely everyone can be forced to keep their seats until rumbataz is served at least
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:00 am

Perhaps a google search might help: diabetes,urinary tract infection, urge incontinence, enlarged prostrate,menopause, bladder incontinence,anxiety,coffee, late for the flight with no time to use the washroom before boarding or just forgot to go?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Maybe they could issue plastic cups to allow people to pee at their seats during the drinks service to prevent poor rumbataz from being disturbed?

Seriously though, there are so many reasons why people don't go before they fly. The key one is that they simply didn't need to go then, which makes the original question seem quite ridiculous!!

Let's ask this another way. Do people really need a drink on a 1 hour domestic flight? Can't they have a drink before the flight? Surely that would solve the problem...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
It bothers me to an extent, and I imagine it bothers the cabin crew even more when they have to wheel the trolley back to the galley repeatedly. Bearing in mind the very short length of the flight and given that the passengers have been sitting at the boarding gate for 20-30 minutes beforehand, surely it would make sense for them to have a wee first?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: BA GGL
In principle, yes, but what if they don't need!?

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I do but you have to factor in the time
a) hanging around the gate to ensure you get priority boarding
b) waiting for everyone else to board
c) sitting on the plane waiting for the push-back truck to appear
d) sitting on the runway in a queue (LHR and JFK in particular) waiting to take off.

I partake of the beverage offering(s) the Flounge and it can be a very long time between arriving at the gate and seat-belt lights going off.

Last edited by KenJohn; Jan 26, 2015 at 9:13 am

Are urinary problems really so much of a problem for so many people? The delay in getting a drink on a plane is a serious issue - it certainly frustrates me if I have to wait for anything other than a short length of time.

How about getting rid of the toilets altogether on short haul?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Are urinary problems really so much of a problem for so many people? The delay in getting a drink on a plane is a serious issue - it certainly frustrates me if I have to wait for anything other than a short length of time.

How about getting rid of the toilets altogether on short haul?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Smile

I cant decide which thread I prefer, this or the earlier one about the guy who wanted to claim for a flight delay five years ago
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Maybe they could issue plastic cups to allow people to pee at their seats during the drinks service to prevent poor rumbataz from being disturbed?

Seriously though, there are so many reasons why people don't go before they fly. The key one is that they simply didn't need to go then, which makes the original question seem quite ridiculous!!

Let's ask this another way. Do people really need a drink on a 1 hour domestic flight? Can't they have a drink before the flight? Surely that would solve the problem...
Not everyone has lounge access, so the obvious choice is wait until onboard to dry out the free bar

I don't have the worlds strongest bladder, if I have a couple of jars in the terminal before getting onboard I'm going like a racehorse. This forms part of my airport experience. It's not too bad on the Airbus where you can squeeze past the drinks trolley, not so fun on the narrowbody Boeing where the crew have to push the trolley all the way down or climb into an empty aisle seat so they can let you through.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Personally, I always go just after the last person has boarded and then zip it up until landing. However, even though I get the poster's point, I have never seen anyone lose out on a drink or snack due to the trolley having to do the hokey-cokey every time someone with less foresight needs 'to go'.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:29 am

I'd imagine that there are plenty of people with a slight fear of flying that tense up before getting on a plane and are particularly nervous at takeoff.

When that tension is released and the plane gets to cruising altitude often that results in the urge to go to the toilet.

Bit of a silly post to be honest.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
This is ridiculous. People cant control when they need to go and I myself suffer from a weak bladder and frequently need to use the toilet on a domestic flight.

I do so apologise to those I delay from getting a drink from the bar. Hmmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.