Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the south terminal segregate domestic and international pax?

That would spell bad news for domestic lounge users! Not much chance of two flounges is there?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Calchas
Does the south terminal segregate domestic and international pax?

That would spell bad news for domestic lounge users! Not much chance of two flounges is there?
Of course it doesn't segregate - think of the retail - LGW introduced the photo at security before it was in LHR T1.

They do try and force you through a shop though.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by mario
Wasn't that the "non-official" reason for it being removed in the first place?
Only according to one person as far as I can remember.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:20 pm

Saw a comment on pprune about this site:

"The problem, I have found, is that the sense of self-importance of the various users frequently fails to match their actual importance to the airlines.

I have met a number of people who really max the miles: Not just scraping into the top tier every other year, or topping up their points with credit cards and car-hire, but the people who really do fly a lot. Adjectives that I would apply to them include - Courteous, Knowledgeable, Sanguine, Reticent and Unassuming. These are not the same adjectives that I would apply to a majority of the users on FlyerTalk."

This thread seem to support that - no real discussion of the commercial benefits, or not, of having a first class lounge at LGW, that would be used by only a handful of people actually buying seats in first - albeit there may be a few gold card holders on holiday- rather a sadly predictable rant that various self important people will be upset and angry if there is not a first lounge. If anyone from BA reads this, it might just encourage them to make sure that there is not one.

Last edited by Leavinglondon; Jan 20, 2015 at 4:21 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I would tend to agree. I think that this is still a lot of diversity of routes with F and never any certainty that BA might not decide to open some more (whether they have immediate plans for it or not) so I would imagine continuation of either a F lounge or a F section within a larger lounge.

I would also see the possibility of a CCR dining room as most unlikely.
I'm not so optimistic. I think if BA's competition offered First Class then the prospects of a dedicated F lounge would be more likely. My cynical inner voice is telling me BA will look to trim operating costs and decide on a single business class lounge. Happy to be proved wrong though.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Leavinglondon

"The problem, I have found, is that the sense of self-importance of the various users frequently fails to match their actual importance to the airlines.

I have met a number of people who really max the miles: Not just scraping into the top tier every other year, or topping up their points with credit cards and car-hire, but the people who really do fly a lot. Adjectives that I would apply to them include - Courteous, Knowledgeable, Sanguine, Reticent and Unassuming. These are not the same adjectives that I would apply to a majority of the users on FlyerTalk."

This thread seem to support that - no real discussion of the commercial benefits, or not, of having a first class lounge at LGW, that would be used by only a handful of people actually buying seats in first - albeit there may be a few gold card holders on holiday- rather a sadly predictable rant that various self important people will be upset and angry if there is not a first lounge. If anyone from BA reads this, it might just encourage them to make sure that there is not one.

Good point.

However as it seems Gatwick airport are the ones who want BA to move it would surely seem logical that BA will be wanting at least like for like from a north to south move and would also seem logical that GAL are the ones footing the bill for the move and the building of and fitting out of loungge(s).

If my assumptions are correct, I would assume BA will be getting a new dedicated check-in area to match the current north terminal check-in facilities.

Also I would expect dedicated galleries and galleries first lounges and a fast track security channel.

BA could take the opportunity to improve the lounge offering and add hot options to bring the lounges on the same level or similar as LHR. The addition of a spa could/should be something that is seriously considered considering BA average 8-9 daily 772 departures and considering with new longhaul aircraft deliveries I would fully expect the longhaul operation to expand at Gatters.

Do I have inside knowledge no, but this would be a logical way of looking at things if GAL are pushing this move.

cs
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
BA average 8-9 daily 772 departures
Do they all have a First cabin? How many of these seats are sold?

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I would fully expect the longhaul operation to expand at Gatters.
It may or may not, but if it does expand t could expand with 3 class aircraft.

I wonder to what extent the person really flying First would be upset by having to use a good "business" lounge - they will have several hours of personal service to look forward on-board, and are likely to be looked after at their destination too. One of the advantages of flying up front it being able to minimise the time in the airport. The travelling salesman, lucky enough to have a gold card while travelling on a discounted short-haul ticket may feel short changed, but I doubt BA really cares.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leavinglondon, a person less aware of your record here might assume that you have raised what is little more than an insult against the posters of this forum by carefully crafting it as the purported view expressed by some unverifiable third party on another website.

We are not in sufficient possession of the facts to argue about whether an F lounge would be commercially beneficial.

If you are in such possession, please do contribute in such a way as to remedy the deficiency, rather than merely disguise your disparage of the posters by assuming the mask of some alleged post from another place.

All I can say for myself, which is no more than anyone else has done, is if there is no F lounge it will further discourage me from using LGW.

I am not commercially important to BA and I have never argued otherwise.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

A BA spokesperson informed Business Traveller...

"This is an exciting opportunity for British Airways and our customers. The South Terminal has recently received significant investment to its security area and departure lounge, and we will be working with Gatwick to provide our customers with a new check-in area and lounge."

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...south-terminal

Definitely reads as a single lounge to me. If a Flounge replacement is happening, I'd expect it to be mentioned
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:07 pm

If you are in such possession, please do contribute in such a way as to remedy the deficiency, rather than merely disguise your disparage of the posters by assuming the mask of some alleged post from another place.

All I can say for myself, which is no more than anyone else has done, is if there is no F lounge it will further discourage me from using LGW.
Full details of the post on pprune below - I am not sure that quoting it amounts to"assuming the mask".

11th Sep 2012, 10:06 #6 (permalink)
TightSlot

You Think, Therefore I Am

I visit my airline forum occasionally, but less frequently as time goes by. The original purpose of the board was to cater for the interests of "Frequent Flyers" and maximise user benefits from the various airline mileage programs.

The problem, I have found, is that the sense of self-importance of the various users frequently fails to match their actual importance to the airlines.

I have met a number of people who really max the miles: Not just scraping into the top tier every other year, or topping up their points with credit cards and car-hire, but the people who really do fly a lot. Adjectives that I would apply to them include - Courteous, Knowledgeable, Sanguine, Reticent and Unassuming. These are not the same adjectives that I would apply to a majority of the users on FlyerTalk.

That said, the board clearly has its' uses and serves a purpose.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder to what extent the person really flying First would be upset by having to use a good "business" lounge - they will have several hours of personal service to look forward on-board, and are likely to be looked after at their destination too. One of the advantages of flying up front it being able to minimise the time in the airport. The travelling salesman, lucky enough to have a gold card while travelling on a discounted short-haul ticket may feel short changed, but I doubt BA really cares.
Well, if we are to judge by what the competition is offering, both AF and LH/LX seem to think that it is important to have outstanding lounge facilities for their First class customers at their hubs. All major carriers with a strong first class product seem to believe that they need to have a dedicated first class lounge. Now, it may well be that they are all wrong and completely misjudge the market and that, in fact, first class travelers could not care less about a lounge. But, on the whole, this seems to me a rather improbable proposition.

Now, whether there is enough F traffic at LGW to warrant a dedicated facility is more debatable and, in the current climate, I would share Prospero's doubts. That said, while I would clearly prefer there being an F lounge at LGW, it will not be the end of the world as far as I am concerned, at any rate if the "ordinary" Galleries lounge is large enough to remain relatively calm. It is not as if the current LGW F lounge is stellar anyway.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Even if there's not that many F passengers, remember we're talking about an F lounge not a CCR. If there's enough commercially important golds then it could justify its own Flounge. Remember the Flounge in T5 is really a gold card lounge and currently T3 doesn't have any BA F flights but they kept the lounge open.

Unfortunately I don't think BA are trying to be better than the competition at LGW, just aiming to be 'no worse'. I've never tried the No 1 lounge at LGW N but some people think it's better than the current BA offering. Often the cost of PAYG lounge access + an EZY flexi fare (comes with free hold bag, assigned seating and fast track) + onboard catering is significantly lower than what BA charge for CE.

That said, I like the lounge concept used in GLA and EDI and as I only occasionally use LGW I could still be content without an Flounge but if I was a regular LGW traveller it would then remove the advantage of gold.

Do you think there's many golds that primarily use LGW?

The current small Flounge can get busy at times which shows there's some demand.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by layz
Do you think there's many golds that primarily use LGW?
I can think of two.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I can think of two.
I do use it as well. Probably around 12 times in 2014. I may be one of the few who seem to like it as well.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
I do use it as well. Probably around 12 times in 2014. I may be one of the few who seem to like it as well.
Ah but hardly primarily, I assume?

In truth I have nothing against LGW, except that it isn't connected to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.