Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Excellent report, thanks ^

Next best thing to seeing it in the flesh ! (which I won't until early March, based on my current schedule)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Great report Andrew. I shall be there in the morning on the first official day. Hoping it will all be smooth and well managed plus a lovely new lounge. ^
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Holding my minutes silence in the No.1 lounge before proceeding to Gate 55D for BA2966 which will be the last domestic to leave LGW North. Might be the last flight although there are a few codeshares showing for later and I so am not 100% sure.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:14 pm

Well, I am sure this is not connected, but the front four rows are being operated in CE configuration for some reason, so I am enjoying some extra space for this final domestic.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:31 pm

A rather nice announcement from the flight deck has described the flight as a "momentus occasion" as we are indeed the last BA flight out of LGW North. Possibly not a memory worth passing onto the grandchildren but rather entertaining nonetheless.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
A rather nice announcement from the flight deck has described the flight as a "momentus occasion" as we are indeed the last BA flight out of LGW North. Possibly not a memory worth passing onto the grandchildren but rather entertaining nonetheless.
Not the last BA flight into North however! On the current schedule, assuming Venice isn't delayed, that honour belongs to the Second City of the Empire, suitably enough. But indeed good of the captain (presumably) to highlight the occasion.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
I remember the day it opened- I was working for BA , thought I would never find my way around it!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
Oh, sweet! The end of an era
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not the last BA flight into North however! On the current schedule, assuming Venice isn't delayed, that honour belongs to the Second City of the Empire, suitably enough. But indeed good of the captain (presumably) to highlight the occasion.
ummm. Which particular Second City of the Empire is that? In fact, which Empire
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I didn't think BA flew to Birmingham anymore ?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:25 pm

After having a ponder, i've booked a flight out of LGW S for tomorrow afternoon (got a great flight + hotel deal, given it was booked less than 24 hours before departure). My first BoB flight too, so have gone for a seat down the back to watch proceedings. Thinking about using some Avios to buy some Percy Pigs I look forward to seeing the new BA operation.

Interestingly, I got an email immediately after booking (even before I got my confirmation email) from BA saying:

TERMINAL CHANGE REMINDER - This flight departs from the South Terminal at London Gatwick Airport
Do we know what gates BA will be using yet? I assume basically all of them? I'm hoping to fly out of the round pier. I used that the very first time I flew out of LGW back in late 1990s on a Lockheed L1011 of Peach Air! Ever since then I've been hoping to fly out of there again, but no, every time I fly from the main long pier. I will be sad not to be using the North bridge again though. Great views from up there.

Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:56 pm

I'll see you in the brand new lounge in the morning!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by JMurray
One of my best friends works for BA at LGW - he's heard on the ground that the lounge is unlikely to be open from day one: from march was his best guess which seems incredibly late considering how much time they've had.

I do hope he's wrong.

Just goes to show that the gossip is often right. March it is then - but still keeping fingers crossed. What, oh what can possibly be taking them so long.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:59 am

So given that it’s been about 3 years since BA moved to the South terminal, I’m curious to know how people feel.

Was it a good move for BA? Did it improve passenger experience?

Personally I feel the Check in area and Lounges have improved but the gates still seem a old and tatty (excluding Pier 1).

Also, since Monarch and Thomas Cook have gone it the South feels a bit more of a mix match of random airlines. But at least it’s getting closer to becoming the BA terminal .
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:32 am

From a BA perspective, I think it depends if you have status or are in premium. The new lounges are a huge improvement (and I don’t think would have happened anyway if it remained in South!). If you don’t have lounge access, then it’s less clear.

Quicker access to the train station is a positive, although minor. Contrary to the post above, I think the gates in South are improving - the end of Pier 2 has had a modest upgrade and it no longer feels so old fashioned. The satellite terminal is still an issue, with a cramped layout and delays on arriving flights due to arriving passengers having to cross other gates. I hear there are plans to improve that though.

I do still think North has the edge in terms of design, layout and ambience. North security feels slightly more efficient, and the airside is slightly more open and less retail focussed. Domestic passengers are the big losers in South with frequent buses and a bad experience for arriving connections - North’s dedicated domestic gates are far better (and have been improved again with automated gates).

For my own flying patterns - not many domestics, BA status, and quite a few VS flights from LGW - the changes have been a huge positive. But I can easily imagine the converse view from BA pax without status who do domestic connections. For most passengers, I suspect it’s a bit of a wash.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.