Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I'd be astonished if they changed the terms of the One World agreement if BA are telling their pax they are welcome to use the No1 lounge. For example, not allowing you to guest someone in.

Additionally: Taking people's number to let them know when there is a free space?! It's hardly a top West End London restaurant. If it's full when we fly out in 10 days time we'll simply have breakfast in Jamie's upstairs.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:01 am

I've just had a conversation with BA on Twitter about this. Apparently, entry to No. 1 Traveller lounge is offered "as long as capacity allows". Given that the Club lounge at Gatwick was about the same size as the No. 1 Traveller lounge and now all BA's passengers have to fit in there also I suspect this is going to be a significant issue. I can see a situation whereby Club World / First passengers who've paid thousands for tickets are turned away at the door.

Next I asked about what was included in the lounge. Apparently, champagne is not complimentary whereas it is in the BA lounge. I think this is a really poor show by BA. They could easily have ensured that production of an eligible boarding pass (status or passenger in Premium cabin) could have had ensured access to complimentary champagne. This all smacks of cheapness by BA. I've got three tickets in Club World in April and suddenly we're not guaranteed lounge access and there's no complimentary champagne if we do manage to.

Yes - it's a first world problem - but if you've paid for something I really think you should receive it.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:12 am

I've been using the No1 for a few years - it does get crowded in there. In the last few months, they've remodelled the space to add some more seating/tables by the bar area. But I'll be amazed if they don't suffer overcrowding issues now that the BA lounge customers are added to the existing customer base.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
I last visited the No 1 lounge in mid-2014, and it was quite crowded then with PP holders and the like. I would hope BA and No 1 have guesstimated demand in reaching this agreement, but who knows.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
the Last time I used No1 at LGW we had paid access and we left within 10 mins nowhere to sit rude staff due to my bag and I were in her way. thankfully I have no plans to use LGW for the foreseeable future and will be actively avoiding, that's from someone who previously avoided LHR....
John
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:53 am

Apparently Champagne in the lounge is not a guaranteed benefit now but "subject to availability". I suppose the point in all this is that Champagne is "available" but BA just won't pay for it.

It beggers belief that BA choose to treat their premium cabin passengers like this and then when challenged over it just make up a new policy. Talk about misselling their product.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD
New link for BA and No1 Lounge LGW N

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post25964139
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr
Apparently Champagne in the lounge is not a guaranteed benefit now but "subject to availability". I suppose the point in all this is that Champagne is "available" but BA just won't pay for it.

It beggers belief that BA choose to treat their premium cabin passengers like this and then when challenged over it just make up a new policy. Talk about misselling their product.
I had to laugh when they replied that "all our beverages are subject to availability". Good get out, that one. They will be offering tap water next.

Champagne was available in the BA lounge but a day later it is mysteriously unavailable in the No 1. Cost cutting special of the day.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Have BA sublet the lounge such that it will no longer be accessable to PP holders?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I must say as a very regular user of LGW, who actually found it in many ways preferable to LHR, I shall now be very much restricting my flights from LGW (probably to a few JERs), if what has been posted in this thread so far is remotely true.

No Champagne at a BA home hub. Not just no vintage Champagne, no ros Champagne, but no complimentary Champagne at all! If BA pax can be given chits in AA lounges for free alcoholic drinks, is it beyond the ingenuity of BA's Gatwick management to agree the same with No.1?

In the case of LGW premium flyers, many are leisure travellers who have paid their own dime and want the full BA premium experience. No Champagne for a GCH flying in F. Need I say more.

As for lounge capacity restrictions, BA's own only ever affected guests on very rare occasions, usually huge number of IRROPS.

In this case BA should have agreed that its own pax, by virtue of cabin or status, must always be admitted, but any restriction can be applied to guests.

The idea that someone flying an cheap LCC SH flight will be allowed in if they pay, but a BA F passenger will be turned away "due to capacity restrictions" is frankly ridiculous.

If I were BA, I'd just rip out all the J (and F) seats in your LGW 777s, as I doubt you'll be wanting to fly them empty come mid-2016.

LGW's owners have presumably done a deal with BA to cover the move to the South terminal and the interim arrangements. That ought to cover continuance lounge provision in more or less its existing form. A separate F lounge might be pushing it (but premium drinks and free food for F and GCHs would not), but limited capacity and no free Champagne is hardly anything like existing provision. It smacks of an inexperienced junior manager trying to be clever.

It would be interesting to know who is pocketing the saving on this one - LGW's owners or BA.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by mentor of monty
Have BA sublet the lounge such that it will no longer be accessable to PP holders?
I am passing through tomorrow and will pitch up and ask exactly this question, and for the other membership cards such as Diners club etc.

In seeing what LGW and BA has become, I imagine BA premium pax will be turned away unless you pull out your wallet or a valid membership card for one of the eligible schemes.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FrancisA
The idea that someone flying an cheap LCC SH flight will be allowed in if they pay, but a BA F passenger will be turned away "due to capacity restrictions" is frankly ridiculous.
If I were a passenger who had the option of using the No 1 Lounge by paying out of my own pocket (and previously had), I'd be pretty annoyed at not being able to use the lounge because BA had more or less taken it over. BA passengers don't have any more rights to use the lounge than paying passengers.

I know that the current arrangements aren't ideal, but previous (non-BA) users of the No. 1 Lounge will also be suffering now.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:46 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mentor of monty
Originally Posted by ACARS
I am passing through tomorrow and will pitch up and ask exactly this question, and for the other membership cards such as Diners club etc.
Both PP & Dragonpass (the company Barclays are now using for their bundled Current Account travel pack) still list No. 1 lounge as available on their websites. I would very much expect this to be correct - I'm willing to bet as commercial enterprises and profit centres, the lounges will accept whoever comes first so long as it means revenue.

Originally Posted by headingwest
If I were a passenger who had the option of using the No 1 Lounge by paying out of my own pocket (and previously had), I'd be pretty annoyed at not being able to use the lounge because BA had more or less taken it over. BA passengers don't have any more rights to use the lounge than paying passengers.

I know that the current arrangements aren't ideal, but previous (non-BA) users of the No. 1 Lounge will also be suffering now.
This is really only partially true. BA passengers only have the option of the No 1 lounge - PP & Dragonpass card holders can pick from three lounges in the North Terminal. The chances of them being unable to find a space somewhere is relatively low, whereas the same can't be said for BA's customers.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: Virgin Silver, BA Exec, Oman Gold, Starwood, MAS, Emirates, Hilton
I have had champagne served in the No.1 traveller lounge whilst travelling on another airline in business class. The lounge agent just handed us a little card to show the barman, after examining our boarding passes to gain access, so BA could easily have negotiated it as part of their contract.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
BA passengers only have the option of the No 1 lounge - PP & Dragonpass card holders can pick from three lounges in the North Terminal. The chances of them being unable to find a space somewhere is relatively low, whereas the same can't be said for BA's customers.
This at least presents a solution if overcrowding is indeed a problem (which we don't know yet, with no actual experience in the thread!). BA could make similar agreements with the other lounges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.