Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by GSTBK

I would be surprised if they didn't keep a F lounge of some description.
The post states construction of *a* new lounge, singular.

We will have to see what they do! Always better to have fully fledged facilities; not really a fan of F areas in J lounges.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I hope they use this opportunity to launch long haul services to places like NYC, SFO and ORD. There's plenty of capacity for a daily 777 on each route surely.

Then they could build a proper Galleries First lounge, rather than that sad excuse (with no views) that currently exists at LGW North (with the microwavable food offerings).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I personally don't see any problems with the south terminal these days. I hate the fact at terminal north you have to go back against the flow of pax if your gate shows 565 (for example) and then navigate the obstacle course across the terminal concourse (esp after a few glasses of Tatt).

The south terminal is more convenient for rail, and for long stay parking (the coach takes 5 minutes as it's much closer than to the north terminal).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
There was a time when I would have been aghast at the prospect of travelling through LGW South, but as stated above, I don't think it's the poor relation anymore, and whilst it is not a particularly inspiring place, the proximity to train station is definitely an advantage.

What about hotel options? I believe the Sofitel is at Gatwick North. Is there anything next to the South Terminal?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I hope they use this opportunity to launch long haul services to places like NYC, SFO and ORD. There's plenty of capacity for a daily 777 on each route surely.
I (more than) doubt that this will ever happen.

BA/AA already have their frequent service from LHR to JFK (& EWR etc). Why would they ever introduce this route from LGW? Ditto for the other destinations you mentioned.

Also, BA have a real shortage of longhaul aircraft at the moment.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I would put money on there being a large, new design Galleries lounge for everyone.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
What about hotel options? I believe the Sofitel is at Gatwick North. Is there anything next to the South Terminal?
The Hilton is attached.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
There was a time when I would have been aghast at the prospect of travelling through LGW South, but as stated above, I don't think it's the poor relation anymore, and whilst it is not a particularly inspiring place, the proximity to train station is definitely an advantage.

there's a Hilton at the South Terminal connected by a walkway through the car park (similar to Sofitel) and a Courtyard by Marriott a 5-7 mins walk away.
John
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Interesting, if not surprising, news.

Not sure that JER pax will see any great benefit, though. I suspect the prospect of a remote stand will be even more likely.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
Interesting, if not surprising, news.

Not sure that JER pax will see any great benefit, though. I suspect the prospect of a remote stand will be even more likely.
This is exactly what I was wondering. I myself prefer remote stands, but I know most pax don't- and the South Terminal I believe has a greater proportion of 'bussing' gates. Given that BA are apparently moving in within 2 years, I can't see another pier being built before then.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I would put money on there being a large, new design Galleries lounge for everyone.
I would tend to agree. Not sure there's the need for a First lounge in LGW. I guess it's easy to say that when you're a Silver though

I guess there's no other OW lounge in LGW?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by paulieuk
The Hilton is attached.
Originally Posted by thejohn
there's a Hilton at the South Terminal connected by a walkway through the car park (similar to Sofitel) and a Courtyard by Marriott a 5-7 mins walk away.
John
There are 2 attached to South, the Hilton and Bloc hotel, which I've seen but not stayed in. It defies categorisation, a kind of mix between a Japanese tech hotel, a boutique hotel and a Nordic minimal staff joint.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So you gain proximity to the Hilton near the south terminal but would be further from the Hampton at the north terminal and the two Premier Inns close to the north terminal.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
If I were a betting man I would too. Unfortunately.

BA doesn't seem to care too greatly about top-end passengers at Gatwick.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Yesitsme
The move is expected in November 2016, but as with most things in life, there might be a delay as there's lots of work to be done.
Well this might leave a window of opportunity for BER to open its entire operation at LGW!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.