Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat reservation tactics - Leaving middle seat empty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
After all I’m of the firm belief that most people don’t give a hoot where they sit, so if I put the effort in I should be rewarded.
I would suggest there is absolutely no support for your "firm belief" that most people don't care where they sit. It's true that most people don't spend hours debating 63j vs 64a but if it was really true that no one cared where they sit then we wouldn't have these endless discussions about middle seats etc.

Personally count me as one of the people who objects to this tactic. IMHO, if you are travelling with family/friends, you ought to be willing to sit next to them, rather than forcing strangers into the intimacies of modern economy seating.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by sts603
Sorry, but I just don't get your and other posters' indigenence about this. This isn't trying to get something for free. If there is an empty seat on the plane, this is about trying to improve the odds that its next to you. Its just common sense. I have NEVER booked 2 people in a row of 3 as window-middle or middle-aisle. To me, that's just dump. Always try to get the middle free because the person in the middle is always going to be willing to take the window or the aisle instead.
Sorry, but I am one of those awkward people that insist on sitting on the seat allocated. Expecially if I know that someone has intentionally made the decision to leave the middle seat free.

Last edited by strichener; Jan 19, 2015 at 7:30 am
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
I'm curious as there are several different opinions on here. Some people 'prefer' a window and partner prefers an aisle (as mentioned earlier). So is this ok? Some see no problem with booking a couple with a missing middle seat and some are obviously disgusted with the practice.
Others wait until everyone is seated then run for the empty seats before anyone else, even before take-off (last flight we were invited to take a free seat after take-off by the CC, but unfortunately someone/several people beat us to it before take-off without asking CC).
Maybe some ask at check-in if there is any chance for there to be a free seat in the middle, or this maybe proactively suggested at check-in (as a poster mentioned earlier).
I dont EXPECT a free seat, was just suggesting a way to increase the chances. So where is the line here when acceptable becomes unacceptable.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

The line is different for everyone, but for me personally, I wouldn't think of asking anyone else to move or otherwise change their behaviour to accommodate me.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:30 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by englisha
I dont EXPECT a free seat, was just suggesting a way to increase the chances. So where is the line here when acceptable becomes unacceptable.
After reading this thread are you genuinely seeking a consensus?

In the end everyone does what they think is right and this is what you should do.

Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by uk1
I'm puzzled why anyone can see any problem with this so long as if a pax arrives for the middle seat they are offered the choice of whichever of the three they prefer. Everyone then seems to have benefited and no one has lost.
The people who have lost out by this process included, but are not restricted to:

1) A family of 4 trying to find a row of 3+1 and end up selecting (e.g.) 2+2 on separate rows since no other option is available.
2) Anyone who really doesn't like middle seats and comes to dread their flight unnecessarily since only middle seats are apparently left.
3) Special needs passengers who get put in the middle of a couple and everyone gets unhappy (I've seen this more than once, they of course get pre-boarded.....).

I am also one of those who refused to move on one occasion, gory details here.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:36 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The people who have lost out by this process included, but are not restricted to:

1) A family of 4 trying to find a row of 3+1 and end up selecting (e.g.) 2+2 on separate rows since no other option is available.
2) Anyone who really doesn't like middle seats and comes to dread their flight unnecessarily since only middle seats are apparently left.
3) Special needs passengers who get put in the middle of a couple and everyone gets unhappy (I've seen this more than once, they of course get pre-boarded.....).

I am also one of those who refused to move on one occasion, gory details here.
I am sure you are right, and I'm sure we could think of many more, but I fear you may have just inadvertently started a completely fresh debate for many who will cite even worst sufferings by the innocent.

You are asking the OP not to do as he asks in case one of those potential scenarios you suggest might occur. Fair enough, that is what you feel.

Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by englisha
Some people 'prefer' and window and partner prefers an aisle (as mentioned earlier). So is this ok? Some see no problem with booking a couple with a missing middle seat and some are obviously disgusted with the practice.
I can't see anyone would have any objection if the couple book aisle/window seats and sit there, providing they don't try to talk across the person in the middle. It's a bit different when the stranger is sat next to a child though - would you really want your child sat next to a stranger on a long flight?

Expecting the stranger to agree to take a different seat is where it starts to cross the line for me. Sure, I think most would jump at it, but personally I hate to put people in a position where they may agree purely out of obligation/sympathy when they may not wish to change. I think having two young children in the equation also changes the dynamics. It's not the same as an adult couple booking non-adjacent seats, in my view.

Bottom line is that on any flight, some people will behave selflessly and some will behave selfishly and just about degree between. According to where our own needles sit on the moral compass, we may applaud or abhor the same behaviour. You have to decide where you views fall and act accordingly.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
It was only an idea and some good points have been raised which I hadn't considered which have made me rethink my seat selection. What i'll do is book us all together and ask at checkin if the flight is full and if not, if there is any chance of the free seat in the middle. I'll expect a no, but be happy if they say yes. This is what id feel comfortable with.

Do feel disappointed that some people felt the need to personally attack me for even suggesting it, I dont feel it was necessary.

Last edited by englisha; Jan 19, 2015 at 7:57 am
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Turkish Elite... oh yeah, and of course: Starbucks Gold :P
I understand somehow that ppl might not find it the right thing to do.... Well, that doesn't hinder me from doing it anyway. At least on a LH flight in economy.

That said, i have not flown LH in economy for quite a few years (in other words: since i know FT )... But i must say, the combination between trying to get a seat as far in the back as possible and leaving the middle seat free, it worked out every single time we have done it. Even on virtually full flights with only one or two spare seats left.

Once at check-in (i think it was the in-town check-in in HKG) we were asked if it was on purpose that we were not sitting together. As LH and some other airlines don't seem to like it, i was already expecting the guy to move our seats together. Well, i was wrong... As the flight was almost full he blocked the free seat between us to make sure it stays free. Tbh i don't actually think this was the right move, but who am i to complain....

Last edited by flolee; Jan 19, 2015 at 7:58 am
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by uk1
I'm puzzled why anyone can see any problem with this so long as if a pax arrives for the middle seat they are offered the choice of whichever of the three they prefer. Everyone then seems to have benefited and no one has lost.
Ditto. Sometimes I wonder what's going on in this forum.

"Can't move because of a special meal." Really? Between the three pax they couldn't tell the cabin crew that the special meal is not for 34B but for 34A, or, God forbid, to 38C?

When travelling Y with someone else I tend to book the window and aisle. If a middle seat pax shows up, I politiely ask the pax if he/she would mind moving to either the window or the aisle - his/her choice. Never had a problem and maximises the chance of getting an empty middle.

I think that most people wouldn't see the problem with this. I can see how this is a problem in the FT universe though.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by mario

"Can't move because of a special meal." Really? Between the three pax they couldn't tell the cabin crew that the special meal is not for 34B but for 34A, or, God forbid, to 38C?
Why should the moved passenger have to rely on someone who asked them to move to tell crew where their food should now be delivered? Why should the moved person have to flag down the crew?

It's interesting that someone who complained about a family imposing themselves on him, and of other people bringing smelly food near workstations, has taken the view that inviting another person to move is fine.

People should try to ensure their behaviour has as little impact on other people as possible. I believe that's a pretty good standard to live by.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by paul4040
People should try to ensure their behaviour has as little impact on other people as possible. I believe that's a pretty good standard to live by.
I agree completely. The difference is that I don't think that any sort of interaction with another human being is strictly off limits. I also don't think that asking a person to move from a middle seat to either an aisle or window seat of their choosing (if they so wish to move - I'm not forcing anyone) has any impact whatsoever on that person.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:32 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by paul4040
Why should the moved passenger have to rely on someone who asked them to move to tell crew where their food should now be delivered? Why should the moved person have to flag down the crew?

It's interesting that someone who complained about a family imposing themselves on him, and of other people bringing smelly food near workstations, has taken the view that inviting another person to move is fine.

If you don't mind me saying so, I have just noticed that you are a Silver and so is the OP. That's fair enough but you are an HH Diamond and he is a mere Gold. So you trump him on that one. Your other one's including Blue Peter ... make you in my view the clear winner. So your argument carries more weight with him.

However mario has a Starbucks Rewards GOLD and I think that outranks.

In this set of circumstances I am not clear as to whose opinion is the one that can prevail. Perhaps we can have a mod clarify the rules.

Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum
Rumbled - see name...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.