FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1645350-seating-guide-boeing-787-dreamliner.html)

SHT88T Jul 7, 2020 8:19 am

I’d choose 5K out and 5A back.

Reasons below:

Expertflyer shows 12A/K blocked on B78X. This suggests bassinets in the rear CW cabin which may be bothersome for you.

The daytime outbound will have the sun on the A side and and the reverse on the way home.

Also, looking the the window layout on Propero’s seat map, row 5 looks to be one of a few rows in the front cabin with 2 full windows in decent places (rows 7 & 8 are the others).

I’d avoid row 6 at all costs, window layout suggests a fuselage join here which likely accounts for the missing window.

TTmex Jul 8, 2020 7:06 pm

Any recommendations for flying in First? Got 1A, but 1K also avail. Currently 2A and K occupied. Is there really much difference? I sleep with ear plugs so don't imagine galley noise being an issue.

TIA

Full Score Jul 8, 2020 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 32518078)
Any recommendations for flying in First?....

Have just flown LHR-LAX on a 787-9. Only 28 passengers on the entire plane, including 3 in F. My wife and I chose 1A & 2A. Because onboard service is currently much reduced it was difficult to tell which side of the plane is best. The forward galley was hardly used (prepared food already packaged on trays) and the attendants didn't congregate in it. The one lavatory is on the left side, and most of the crew traffic also seemed to be on this side. So, on balance, I think I should have gone for 1K & 2K.

Unlike the 747 in which the window seats have much more space than the middle pairs, the 787-9 has more cramped areas, so possibly the middle seats would be better for pairs of folks. Not much difference in truth. Pretty crammed in relative to the 747 and 388. And downright poor compared to Cathay, Qantas and Qatar.

The flight crew didn't have much to do, but what they did was done with grace and charm, if lacking efficiency.

TTmex Jul 8, 2020 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Full Score (Post 32518374)
Have just flown LHR-LAX on a 787-9. Only 28 passengers on the entire plane, including 3 in F. My wife and I chose 1A & 2A. Because onboard service is currently much reduced it was difficult to tell which side of the plane is best. The forward galley was hardly used (prepared food already packaged on trays) and the attendants didn't congregate in it. The one lavatory is on the left side, and most of the crew traffic also seemed to be on this side. So, on balance, I think I should have gone for 1K & 2K.

Unlike the 747 in which the window seats have much more space than the middle pairs, the 787-9 has more cramped areas, so possibly the middle seats would be better for pairs of folks. Not much difference in truth. Pretty crammed in relative to the 747 and 388. And downright poor compared to Cathay, Qantas and Qatar.

The flight crew didn't have much to do, but what they did was done with grace and charm, if lacking efficiency.

Good to know. Yeh I'm imagining the whole service right now not the same. I might consider 1k to avoid the toilet. Thanks for the advice

13901 Jul 9, 2020 12:28 am

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 32518078)
Any recommendations for flying in First? Got 1A, but 1K also avail. Currently 2A and K occupied. Is there really much difference? I sleep with ear plugs so don't imagine galley noise being an issue.

TIA

In my little pre-Covid experience I remember that A seats were served before the K ones. In terms of airflow and cabin temperature, my least favourite seats were 1F and 1K. I've flown on 1A, 2A, 2K and 2E and found them to be a lot better. But my statistical sample is somewhat limited so it might've been a fluke.

Dselvan Aug 6, 2020 11:35 am

Overhead lockers over 1J/K on 788

Random niche question
Is there a overhead locker over 1J/K on a 788?
Our flight to Buenos Aires has been changed from a 772 to a 788.
Got option of 1A/B or 1J/K.
Vaguely remembering something mentioned about overhead crew rest and so no overhead lockers on the J/K side.
Can anyone clarify if there is an overhead locker over 1J/K since I know for certain there is one over 1A/B side?
Thank you.

BertieBadger Aug 6, 2020 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Dselvan (Post 32586266)
Random niche question
Vaguely remembering something mentioned about overhead crew rest and so no overhead lockers on the J/K side.
Can anyone clarify if there is an overhead locker over 1J/K since I know for certain there is one over 1A/B side?
Thank you.

I could be wrong but I thought the overhead crew rest on the 788 was at the rear. There are no overhead lockers above the last few rows in the centre section of WT, and I presumed that to be due to the crew rest.

(Thanks in small part to FT, I avoid that cabin now, but I cut my BAEC teeth down the back of a 788)

Appreciate that's not a direct answer to your Q though, sorry!

george77300 Aug 6, 2020 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Dselvan (Post 32586266)
Random niche question
Thank you.

Flight Crew Rest is in the centre at the front. It's over the centre seats in Row 1 there isn't the lockers. So there are overhead lockers both sides over A/B and J/K seats.

BertieBadger Aug 6, 2020 11:44 am

Originally Posted by george77300 (Post 32586283)
Crew Rest is in the centre. So there are overhead lockers both sides. It's over the centre seats in Row 1 there isn't the lockers.

That's interesting, any idea why there is no overhead lockers on the centre of WT, at the back?
Or is it 2 rests, one pilots at front, one cabin crew at back?

Edit: Now that is impressive, answered the question before I'd even asked it! Many thanks!

george77300 Aug 6, 2020 11:44 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger (Post 32586275)
I could be wrong but I thought the overhead crew rest on the 788 was at the rear. There are no overhead lockers above the last few rows in the centre section of WT, and I presumed that to be due to the crew rest.

You are correct. That is for the cabin crew rest. There is also a flight crew rest over the centre seats at the front. So no overhead lockers over seats 1 D/E/F either.

george77300 Aug 6, 2020 11:47 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger (Post 32586288)
That's interesting, any idea why there is no overhead lockers on the centre of WT, at the back?
Or is it 2 rests, one pilots at front, one cabin crew at back?

Yes 2 seperate crew rests.

For the 787s, the 788/789 in BA layout have both crew rests. The 787-10 has only the front pilot crew rest.

Edit: BertieBadger Just seen your edit. I think that was a bit of luck. I'm not normally anywhere near that good. Quite the opposite in fact. :D

Dselvan Aug 6, 2020 11:50 am

Originally Posted by george77300 (Post 32586283)
Flight Crew Rest is in the centre at the front. It's over the centre seats in Row 1 there isn't the lockers. So there are overhead lockers both sides over A/B and J/K seats.

Thank you. Will stick to our 1J/K.

Duck1981 Oct 23, 2020 9:38 am

Dear valued Flytertalkers

I have a flight to DXB in January (ok, might switch to a triple or 350 until then) and me and wife will fly in Y which is currently operated by a 787 (-9 I believe).

Am I still right that row 43 - given the twin seats - is the best row for a couple? We are flying out at 1205 and return with the night flight departing 0215. I was contemplating with WT+ but given the current service levels we thought that we invest the £600 price difference in Dubai restaurants instead :) Personally not a fan of the emergency exit row as I feel mostly cold there.

Is there any difference between the A or K side - and I understand from seat guru that the rows have a window? I am only wondering if any chatty cabin crew will prevent us from sleeping (if that's possible on a 787 in Y). Not sure how the flights loads will be that time, maybe a standard row and crossing the fingers for an empty middle seat might be a better choice?

Thanks

designzer123 Dec 2, 2020 6:41 am

Hi all, am due to fly from LHR > MEX on 4 Dec on a 787-9 in CW with my partner. Below is the current seat map on EF:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a2c9931ed1.jpg
Two questions:
1) What is the reason for 10B being blocked? Will it be unblocked at any time? I think 10A and 10B would be preferable for us as it's seemingly the only pair left, but are there any particular issues with these seats?
2) Assuming 10A and 10B are not available as a pair, are we better off going for a D and E or a D and F (assuming no one else is in the E)?

Grateful for any guidance - many thanks.

Prospero Dec 2, 2020 6:55 am

10B is a bassinet seat which is why you cannot select it. If the bassinet isn’t needed, the seat is usually available for selection when check in opens. As your flight is just a couple of days away, you could call BA now and request it over the phone.