FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1645350-seating-guide-boeing-787-dreamliner.html)

BingBongBoy May 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 24871811)
I'm loving just flying on the B747 and B777

Probably all you can manage at your age.

Leave the modern aircraft to the younger crew.

Can I help you May 26, 2015 1:59 pm

Your welcome to them, oh I forgot you hate it. :D

BA or bust May 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by umichguy (Post 24391156)
Quick question, have an upcoming trip in CW on the 787, is shelling out £65 worth (I know, a vague meaning of worth) it for picking the seat? Currently 3A looks to be the most appealing, and still available. I am a nobody with BAEC, hate paying on top of the money already paid (albeit via UuA)....

I have found 3A to be good, quite private and easy to acces the aisle without stepping on someone! :D

BA or bust May 26, 2015 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by airb330 (Post 24871744)
Very tight back in WT!

While I flew in WT+, which was very nice, WT looked so cramped. Even my mother, who rarely flies, said it looked terrible. Using the lavs was a pain, because there is no easy access to both sides of the aircraft. You were stuck on your side, and my side just happened to have the 1 lav way in the back which was always difficult to access because WT passengers were up and out of the seats often. I don't blame them, because clearly it was due to the tightness. I flew a LGW 777 on PHL-LHR the week before and WT on that plane looked like heaven compared to the 787 sadly. I just find the aisles are so narrow in CW and WT!

I did find the air to be less dry though no one else in my group did. It was very quiet on takeoff, but in flight I didn't find it to be more quiet as the plastic seemed to rattle a lot. I heard a very high-pitched whine from the engines, which only half my group heard, but it was very noticeable to me when my Bose headphones were off.

Likewise I found the 787 very noisy on a recent (my first) trip. We went through a lot of turbulence and the cabin was very noisy with lots of squeaks and rattling. Most disconcerting in a 'plastic' aircraft! :eek: Also agree that (in CW) the aisles are very narrow and not easy to get past people.

hugolover May 26, 2015 3:18 pm

I haven't flown WT since 2006 but I have a friend who flies to YYZ quite frequently and avoids the 787. He just can't fit in the seats and the leg room is just far too tight. It's such a pity the flagship aircraft across nearly ALL carriers has turned into the worst Traveller experience in the fleet.

JXB356 May 26, 2015 6:47 pm

I flew on the 787 YYC-LHR in CW. Was in 3A, which I found to be wonderful. It had aisle access, without having to step over anyone. Great window views. Best of all, once I put the seat into bed mode and went to sleep, it was like I was in a private cabin. Next flight however is in WT+, and one leg will be on the 787. Will be interesting to see how it is. I have been in WT+ on both the 777, and 767.

fransknorge Jun 7, 2015 5:44 am

I flew the 787 yesterday to ICN and found it a mixed experience.
Seat 3A is very good, the extra length while in bed mode was appreciate. It is private and has a great view of the wings. I think it is the second best seat in the fleet after 64A/K.
Having said that the aircraft is not as pleasant as promised: the increase in air quality is noticeable however it is not that quiet. The A380 is better on that aspect. It is true the fuselage rattles a lot in turbulences.
Also it is not as smooth as I expected, might have been the weather though.
Toilets access is a pain, not enough of them. The sensor flush is kind of fun.
The worst are the windows. They do not block enough the light even when set on darkest. Also they reflect IFE screens and other sources of lights. The cabin was not dark enough for sleep. I would avoid it just for that.

flygod Jul 16, 2015 2:22 am

New 787-9 - best CW seats

Hi,

I see the FlyerTalk seat guide only has the -800 series. My LHR-KUL flight at Xmas has 1st Class and is a 787-900 according to BA.

The BA source seat plan is here:

http://www.thebasource.com/seatmaps/...2j39w127y.html

My question is, based on your knoweledge of other CW layouts, are 7AK and 13AK likely to be the best seats?

For me and Flygoddess, a window is good. For me, who likes to be fully hydrated on a long flight, direct aisle access stops me from feeling embarassed climbing over someone.

Finally, if I pay the £65 seat fee, will I get this back if an UUA to F becomes available?

heartstring Jul 16, 2015 2:35 am

They would be good for direct aisle access, but not so great for noise on an overnight due to proximity to galley (7AK) and proximity to WTP (13AK). If it's like the A380 UD, 13AK will almost look into WTP, so I would avoid these.
Personally, I'd go for 6AK, then 11/12 AK, but none of these would have direct aisle access. You could take 6AB or JK so you have aisle access and Flygoddess has window?

I quite like the middle seat on A380 UD, so on an overnight, I'd also consider the E's. 7E and 13E will have direct aisle access - 13E is better than 13AK as it won't look into WTP.

ACARS Jul 16, 2015 2:42 am

Given no one has seen the BA set up yet, I doubt anyone would have the faintest idea for sure.

xenole Jul 16, 2015 2:49 am

Seats will probably turn out like on the A380 where someone doesn't like a certain seat due to galley noise yet someone else had no problem. I personally have had 53A on a night flight and wasn't affected by banging of trolleys, cutlery clanking etc. like some people. Easy to get out behind your seatmate as well without climbing over them.

Don't know if I would go for 7AB due to the toilet but I suppose that's no worse than 64K on the UD of a 747. Easy aisle access and a more intimate cabin.

As you're in a pair, and if you decide to sit together, at least getting out won't involve you straddling a stranger ;)

No idea what the windows are like should you want 2 or 3, certain alignments etc.

DrBernardo Jul 16, 2015 3:23 am

Having done 2x 3K on a 787 and 2x 53K on a 380 in rapid succession in recent weeks, my experience was that whilst the galley noise was noticeable on the 380, on the 787 it wasn't really noticeable at all. Maybe my crew were just quieter on the 787? But based on that, I'd have no qualms in recommending 7AK on the 787-9

Foltan Jul 16, 2015 5:03 am

Originally Posted by heartstring (Post 25124657)
If it's like the A380 UD, 13AK will almost look into WTP, so I would avoid these.

Have you ever sat in those seats? I took one on the A380 to LAX as there wasn't much choice left and it was great. The curtain makes you feel like you're in a corner cabin, and the aisle seat that you have to 'look at' is one of the last to be selected (for obvious reasons) so it was empty. I felt completely alone for a lot of the time despite keeping my divider down and it was wonderful!

However I concede that my opinion would change quickly if there was a loud baby in the bassinet spot in WT+:)

nux Jul 16, 2015 5:13 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 25124688)
As you're in a pair, and if you decide to sit together, at least getting out won't involve you straddling a stranger ;)

No idea what the windows are like should you want 2 or 3, certain alignments etc.

Yes it would, since the rear facing seat is accessed by stepping over the footrest of the forward facing seat in the row behind. So any pair combination will mean either or both passengers will need to step over/be stepped over by a stranger.

obduro Jul 28, 2015 8:42 am

What seats in CW on the 787 (if any) are reserved for GCH until T-72/T-24?