Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1 more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,
When I flew to NRT on the 789 when I woke up just before breakfast there was a large blush-whitish ball of light in the sky ( windows were at maximum darkness) I thought it was the moon at first but then realised that due to the window it was the sun now above the horizon.

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: BA - Gold
Hi All,

Looking at booking LHR > KUL in Club this evening. Below are the available seats currently. It seems that the best seats for a couple are 7A&B or 13A&B/J&K. Leaning towards 7 but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
We did 7a/b, the smaller cabin felt really nice compared to the usual dorm feeling. Service seemed attentive too.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: BA - Gold
Thanks. You didn't find the toilets, or traffic to and from them annoying?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by pacenotes
The twin seats at the back of the 787-9, Im traveling on my own so will the seat beside me be blocked if its not a full flight?

Row 30 is also free. I'm more worried about the shoulder room so would it be better than the leg room of row 30?
I did my journey. I went with the last row.

It has two seats instead of three I left my bag down by me and used it as a table. I was able to spread out and it was pleasant enough.

Bad points were:
The crew got confused with seat numbers and gave my pre booked meal to the person beside me
They ran out of English breakfast by the time they got to about 4 rows in front of us.

I personally wouldn't fly Y on the 787 unless I got the last row. The seats are just too narrow for my shoulders.
DawnR1969 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by tb10
Thanks. You didn't find the toilets, or traffic to and from them annoying?
Not at all. Had those seats in a day Flight and a night Flight on the way home. Traffic to them was only 8 people max anyway. 7A is very private.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
I'm scheduled to fly the 787-9 from PHL to LHR (BA 68) in a few weeks. I'm currently booked into 7K, but have read the advice in this thread that 7K sometimes is taken for crew rest. Is that likely enough to happen that I should pick a different seat now?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No, you are safe in 7K from PHL.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Thanks, CIHY! I appreciate your many informative posts.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Any update on 7K SJC-LHR?

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not sure if there is a rest seat on the SJC to LHR flight, it is on the flight from LHR.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You could be right there, given the shift patterns. But I'd hesitate to recommend anyone to take 7K on a flight of that length, not least because if they do shift someone, it may be when only "bad" seats are available (though my view is that the 787 doesn't really have these so much, since the middle CW seats are better than on other aircrafts).
I have just booked SJC-LHR in CW on the 789 for next year and was tempted to book the 7J/K pair. But, clearly, this could be a bad move if we're likely to be ejected nearer to checkin ... can anyone advise whether 7K is regularly used as a crew rest on this route these days?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:07 pm

Question BA0139 7K

Am I likely to get bumped for crew on BA139 LHR to BOM picking 7K?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by bfishc
Am I likely to get bumped for crew on BA139 LHR to BOM picking 7K?
Why for 'crew?'
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Had a scan through the thread and can't easily find an answer to this. On the two pairs of two First seats on the 787-9 which are preferable - 1EF or 2EF. I'm presuming 2EF to be further away from the galley and toilet?

Also 1AK seem to be blocked - presumably for Gold and GGL - does anyone know if/when this block is removed if not taken? I had fancied trying out 1A and 2A or 1K and 2K rather than a centre pair.

Last edited by lcylocal; Aug 2, 2018 at 11:06 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Had a scan through the thread and can't easily find an answer to this. On the two pairs of two First seats on the 787-9 which are preferable - 1EF or 2EF. I'm presuming 2EF to be further away from the galley and toilet?

Also 1AK seem to be blocked - presumably for Gold and GGL - does anyone know if/when this block is removed if not taken? I had fancied trying out 1A and 2A or 1K and 2K rather than a centre pair.
1A/K are generally unblocked around T-72 hours from departure. On my particular flight I opted for 1E/F as 2F is blocked as it's a bassinet seat. Every other seat in the cabin is now occupied except for 2E/F. I have no idea if booking the last 2 seats in F would result in 2F being unblocked which is where I would rather sit as it's just that little bit further away from the galley.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

1A/K are generally unblocked around T-72 hours from departure. On my particular flight I opted for 1E/F as 2F is blocked as it's a bassinet seat. Every other seat in the cabin is now occupied except for 2E/F. I have no idea if booking the last 2 seats in F would result in 2F being unblocked which is where I would rather sit as it's just that little bit further away from the galley.
Same dilemma, maybe if no one with infant books the last seats, 2F opens up?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.